Punctuation & Parentheses?

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 07:07 pm
Here is a piece of something I wrote today, is my use of the period after the word "books" correct, or should it inside the parentheses, or even after the parentheses?

The 2nd edition books are my primary focus. It would also be great to find a listing of the "Red Letter" books. (as I call them) I hope to find out exactly which books were re-issued.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,398 • Replies: 16
No top replies

panzade

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 07:21 pm
PARENTHESES
I vote for after the parentheses, but what do I know?. In High School, English was after lunch, and I could usually be found having a little siesta.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 08:01 pm
I had a high-school English teacher that insisted the period come after the parantheses. It was somehow supposed to indicate that the text in the parantheses was referring to that specific sentence.

I only remember it because I always use them as you did and she always chewed me out for it. Razz
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 08:08 pm
Fishin, what the blue blazes is pictured in your avatar?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 08:18 pm
Ummm.. The Easter Bunny. He uhhh.. got run over.

That's what happens when bad little bunnies veer off the bunny trail. Sad
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:53 pm
You better not let Setanta see that...you'll be fishin' for a new avatar
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 05:50 am
harmonic--

The parenthetical material is part of the previous sentence. Hence it belongs before the period.

I'd also change your punctuation from "Red Letter" books to "Red Letter Books" so as not to separate the adjectives from the noun they modify.

I used to teach English.
0 Replies

harmonic

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 07:31 am
Hmmm... Ok, Thanks! Smile
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 09:03 am
Noddy, teaching English with an Uzi, I bet everyone in your class knew what a gerund was.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 09:08 am
Panzade--

Everyone stayed awake--even after lunch. Guns weren't permitted in the classroom during the dark ages, but a blacksnake whip worked just as well and wasn't nearly as messy.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 09:10 am
your advice re: the placement of the parentheses, is correct; however, i would add that the errors in your question, far outstrip the minor flaw of misplacing the period.
I would suggest that you reread, and edit your postings before you place them.

and re: periods, if you want to practice, try punctuating the following phrase:

"fun fun fun worry worry worry"

i shall 'drop' back with the correct answer later..........
[cowards]
fun period, fun period, fun no period, worry, worry, worry!
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 08:33 pm
Quote:
...is my use of the period after the word "books" correct, or should it ... (be) ...after the parentheses?

The 2nd edition books are my primary focus. It would also be great to find a listing of the "Red Letter" books. (as I call them) I hope to find out exactly which books were re-issued.

If the period doesn't go after the parentheses, then what sentence does "(as I call them)" belong to? A sentence (in English at least) begins with a capital letter and ends with a specific kind of sentence-ending punctuation.

"As I call them" isn't a complete sentence on its own. It must belong between the capital letter and the ending punctuation of a sentence.

Or you could solve your problem by rewriting so that the parenthetical phrase falls deep within the sentence -- "It would also be great to find a listing of the "Red Letter Books" (as I call them) because I hope to find out exactly which books were re-issued."

And listen to Noddy. She knows what's up.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:03 am
Thanks, Wy.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 11:07 am
Gee Noddy

I just realised you're approaching your 2004th post.
I'll get the champagne chillin'
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 11:40 am
panzade--

And cheers to your recognization of a festive occasion!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 01:11 pm
POP!!!!!!!!!

CHEERS!!!!!
0 Replies

Greenday

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 05:12 am
It's definitely after the parentheses (the period) since it's still the same sentence.
0 Replies