need advice with car headlights

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 11:04 am
I have a 93 mercury cougar. The headlights work fine in normal mode but when switched to high beams, both headlights go completely dark.

I need a direction to start from. Could this be a fuse, wiring or headlamp problem, or could it be the toggle switch that turns on the high beams?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,939 • Replies: 10

Ragman

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 11:36 am
@Butrflynet,
While there could be a short from the toggle switch or RELAY from low beam to high beams, it could be the headlights highbeams are dead. After checking that the fuses and high beam relays are good, I'd consider the likelihood it's time to replace headlamps. Worth having someone trustworthy troubleshoot and repair them.

likelihood tree:
1. high beam fuse, relay or wiring.
2 highbeams dead/replace headlamps
3. switch or switch wiring in stalk switch
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 12:09 pm
@Butrflynet,
probably the dimmer switch.

check for power at the lamps with a test light...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 01:44 pm
Thanks guys, this gives me something to convey when I have it checked.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 04:31 pm
@Butrflynet,
If you have the owners manual you can find the fuse info there. I couldn't find one for the '93, but here is a link to the '96.
1996 Cougar Owners Manual

On the 96 and I suspect also for the '93, the headlight fuse is under the hood in the high current fuse panel.
http://imageshack.us/a/img191/5240/1cl.gif

On there '96 there is only one fuse for both high and low beams, so that should not be your problem.
http://imageshack.us/a/img5/3244/afs.gif

Did both high beams go out at the same time? If so, then it is not likely the bulbs.

Does the high beam indicator on the instrument panel come on when you switch to high beam? If so then your high beam switch is probably OK.

On the '93 cougar there was a recall on the headlight switch for cars equipped with fog lights.
'93 Cougar Headlight Switch recall
roger

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 05:18 pm
@mesquite,
That looks useful.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 05:45 pm
@mesquite,
I have the manual, will dig it out of the glove compartment and take a look.

Quote:
Did both high beams go out at the same time? If so, then it is not likely the bulbs.

Yes, both went out at same time, and come on again when the switch on the steering wheel is toggled again. That switch also controls the windshield wipers and they work just fine. Something tells me it probably is not the switch on the steering wheel.

Quote:
Does the high beam indicator on the instrument panel come on when you switch to high beam? If so then your high beam switch is probably OK.

I don't recall, will have to go take a look. When I noticed the high beams weren't working, I was traveling on a very dark road and really could have used the high beams to help me see the road. My first memory is that the indicator did not come on, but I'll have to confirm it since I don't remember for sure.

Edit: Just checked, and the dashboard high beam indicator does come on at the time the high beams are supposed to be on.
Ragman

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 07:05 pm
@Butrflynet,
a leading candidate could be a relay...(among others)
Rockhead

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 09:49 pm
@Ragman,
there is no high-beam relay, dude...
Ragman

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 09:55 pm
@Rockhead,
sorry. I had a car that did have a relay.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 11:11 pm
@Butrflynet,
a test light at the lamp tells a lot more than all of our guesses...
0 Replies