Working opposite shifts, kids and no time for us?

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 02:38 pm
opinions please. I work during the mornings. While I'm off to work my husband is getting home & off to bed. When I'm off I pick my daughter up from school, come home fix snack, start prepping for dinner, homework, pick up around the hose, etc... My husband is asleep during the days then up & strait to work 2-3 hours early... There is no time to spend together. If it isn't his weekend with his daughter, he'll work 7 days a week leaving no time for us. He is willing to change from nights to days to modify visitation schedules, but not for any other reason, meanwhile our marriage is suffering terribly. I'm not sure what to do at this point. He says he wants to spend time, but seems to me unwilling to make time & says I should accommodate his schedule, but I work days & take care of a child while not at work and we're expecting! I'm exhausted & getting emotionally drained. Solutions??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 687 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 03:13 pm
@MissSunshine,
Can you work in the afternoons? That might be one solution.

And talk to him. Explain - you miss him. It's hard being, in many ways, a single parent. Plus the very act of being pregnant is kinda tiring. He needs to help out a bit, and that does not mean he works even more hours. You love his kid, too, and don't mind a change in visitation if that will get him home more and in your life more.

Because, really, you shouldn't. It's splitting hairs if it's for his kid or for you if the result is the same, yes?
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 03:18 pm
@MissSunshine,
....".then up & strait to work 2-3 hours early"

This sounds like he's choosing to go early, as opposed to spending time with you at home. Sounds like you two need to communicate. Mediation of some kind if necessary, as there are kids at stake.
0 Replies

MissSunshine

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 07:13 pm
@jespah,
working afternoons isn't an option. I'm responsible to care for the kids & the house. All of the duties of a house-wife, but I work too LOL. I just don't see why he isn't willing to make the changes for the family as a whole & for the sake of our marriage. I've always been a single parent & being married hasn't changed that. Now I have that much more to handle on my own, another kid, husband, bigger house & one on the way. Just feel like I'm at my breaking point.
jespah

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2013 07:09 am
@MissSunshine,
Try to figure out what you can let go, or delegate. Can you cook dinner in a slow cooker, get a babysitter sometimes, or have him wash the dog? Do the baseboards have to be dusted every other day, or can they wait two days? Can he take 90% of the responsibility for his own child?

Know what I mean?

And in the meantime, still, this is a communication issue. It definitely sounds as if you have gotten the short end of the stick. Your life has not improved with this marriage; instead, it's worsened. You need to explain that you are tired. And that the meals don't magically appear on the table. The children aren't bathed by an intruder who comes into the house for the sole purpose of putting them to bed. And clean clothes don't leap into his drawers.

You need help, you need it yesterday and no matter how much appreciation he is or isn't showing, that doesn't get the car serviced or the bills paid.

Recognize that this might just spur him to get you a housekeeper or a sitter, rather than help out.
0 Replies