First the Pope. Now Iran.

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 09:05 am
Actors on the world stage are saying things that are far outside their traditional role.

It makes me uncomfortable to have heads of conservative religions and repressive countries acting reasonable. What else could happen?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 935 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 09:17 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Actors on the world stage are saying things that are far outside their traditional role.

It makes me uncomfortable to have heads of conservative religions and repressive countries acting reasonable. What else could happen?

Max, I'm not sure if you are serious here...or just being ironic.

I am delighted some "heads of conservative religions and repressive countries" act reasonably.

I wish everyone would do more of that.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 09:31 am
@maxdancona,
It's nice to hear good intentions, especially if they are sincere (which they may not be). But actions speak louder than words and I'll believe it when I see it.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 10:01 am
@maxdancona,
Max you're challenging the inevitability of nuclear wipeout
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 10:18 am
@Frank Apisa,
People on the world stage should act their part. You wouldn't be comfortable with the leader of the free world authorizing spying on their own citizens or extra-judicial drone strikes, would you.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 12:38 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

People on the world stage should act their part. You wouldn't be comfortable with the leader of the free world authorizing spying on their own citizens or extra-judicial drone strikes, would you.

I have no problem with that at all. In fact, I wonder about people who do. It is that kind of world.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 01:03 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I prefer to live in a nice simple world where bad guys are bad and good guys are good. When popes accept homosexuality and Iranian leaders give up nuclear weapons... how am I supposed to make sense of the world.

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 01:07 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I prefer to live in a nice simple world where bad guys are bad and good guys are good. When popes accept homosexuality and Iranian leaders give up nuclear weapons... how am I supposed to make sense of the world.

Maybe the pope and the Iranian leaders (Iranian people) are waking up.

Wish 'em well.

Or...wish that they go back to what they were...and make your life easier for you.

(I think you get my point, Max...and are probably more on the side of the angels than you are letting on!)
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 01:35 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I have no problem with that at all. In fact, I wonder about people who do. It is that kind of world.

That is a complete refutation of the rule of law, Frank. You are denying a central notion of what the US has pretended for 200 years that it is. But I suspect you wouldn't be able to get your mind wrapped around such a concept.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 01:48 pm
@maxdancona,
In many respects the West has backed the wrong horse. Iran is far more liberal than Wahabbist Saudi Arabia. The recent standoff with the West is down to the West's support of the Shah, including a UK/USA instigated coup that overthrew a truly democratically elected government.

The Iranians have as much to fear from Al Qaida type groups as the West, maybe even more so, heretics tend to attract more hate than infidels.
0 Replies