Do open relationships work?

Reply Tue 24 Sep, 2013 04:09 pm
Have any of you ever been in an open relationship that worked? I am currently married. Both of us have expressed interest in wanting to have sex with other people, but we haven't discussed it seriously yet-would it really work? How do I approach this and say it's something I want to try? I think we got married too soon/too young and we still have some urges and craziness we want to get out of our systems (not to mention living in a big city with beautiful people everywhere). Any thoughts or ideas? Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,572 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 04:56 am
@Anonymous895623,
Note - I am not in an open relationship.

However, as with anything else in a relationship, communication and consideration are going to be key. Plus you will both need to concern yourselves with disease prevention, reputation management (e. g. if it gets around that you have an open marriage, it might turn out to be something that keeps you from being hired for future jobs - being in an open relationship isn't a protected class in terms of employment discrimination) and the possibility of, no matter what either of you say or try or mean or attempt, that there might be hurt feelings. And those hurt feelings won't necessarily strike at the best or most expected of times, either.

I am not specifically warning you off, but I do advise treading carefully. Even the best of these has got to be a minefield.
0 Replies

openman

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2014 04:31 pm
@Anonymous895623,
I am in an open relationship.
For us its easy. We love each other, communicate well and are not selfish.
Always go at the speed of the slowest person in terms of getting to the happy place for both of you. Try to keep the playing equal so one doesn't get a lot more than the other. Our closest friends know but its not hard to keep quiet.
We at times have friends with benefits that we keep going back to but all of them know how close my girl and I are.
After 6 years together, 4 of them open, we have just got engaged.
We started sometimes with a little jealousy even though we are not generally jealous people but just talked it out and all good.
I have complete trust with my fiancé that I never had with my ex.
We have two rules. Honesty and Respect. We don't have control issues in our relationship. Although we can do what we want, if my fiancé is uncomfortable with what I'm doing, I don't want to do it as I respect her and don't want to hurt her. Its great having the freedom in our relationship but also not have to worry its going to hurt it.
0 Replies