Can the predicate be more than one word?

sali

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2013 03:53 pm
I have read different things regarding the predicate of the sentence. Can a phrase in a sentence be considered the predicate, or does it need to be just one word and the other words are "modifiers?"

ex. Scholars learn lessons.

The book says that the predicate is "learn," but I would have thought it would be "learn lessons."

Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,918 • Replies: 2
No top replies

leball

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2013 05:27 pm
@sali,
hi sali
Usually a sentence comprises a subject ( normally a noun ), verb and predicate.
In this case :
Scholars ( subject) learn ( verb ) lessons ( Predicate, or the remainder of the sentence)
Hope this helps
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2013 06:29 pm
@sali,
Yes, predicates can be more than one word, Sali. Spoken English has many, what are termed, phrasal verbs.

http://www.englishpage.com/prepositions/phrasaldictionary.html

Quote:
Scholars learn lessons.

The book says that the predicate is "learn," but I would have thought it would be "learn lessons."

You have to understand that the study of grammar is only scholars' weak attempts to understand the complexities of language. Terminology isn't at all fixed. It changes over the years as people believe they have a greater understanding of how language works, and specifically, how a part of speech functions in language.

0 Replies