My son has a rash and I need help.

mom

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:46 am
Hello,
My son developed a rash over a week ago and we don't know what it is. I have taken him to the doctor and they also don't know. He has it near his armpits, on his elbows, on his face, and on his penis. In the beginning, his cheeks were red but he really didn't have raised bumps. However, the next day after taking him to the doctor, he began to have raised bumps that itched. Now a week later, nothing has subsided. In fact, it is as if it is worse. I took him to the doctor again and they still don't know. If anyone has any information, suggestions, please help.
AK
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,679 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:48 am
mom-

One thing that I don't care for are doctors who don't know, and don't take the trouble to find out. IMO, you need to take your son to a dermatologist.

Good luck!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:49 am
or at least a different doctor!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:50 am
Something like this is really a crapshoot. There is no way for any of us to know either.

It's possible it's an alergy I guess. Have you changed anything lately?
New dietary thing? (different brand of milk? cereal?).
Have you changed any household items? (toothpaste? Soap? Shampoo? Laundry detergent?)
Anything new in the environment? (plants in yard? carpeting? bedding? clothes? paint?)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:52 am
I was thinking allergies too.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:54 am
How old is your son?
0 Replies

mom

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 10:06 am
Hello everyone,
I have a few probs. The first being that I am stationed in Guantanamo Bay and I am very limited to doctors (i.e. one pediatrician). Also, there is no dermatologist on the island.
I have not changed anything as far as detergents and such. I am beginning to believe that it is something in the environment. We have been here for eight months and when we got here, my son broke out it a similar rash but not exact.
He is 7 years old. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
mom
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 10:09 am
Try an OTC allergy medication such as Benedryl. If it is an allergy that should help alleviate it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 10:10 am
See if this rings a bell:

http://www.aad.org/pamphlets/eczema.html
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 10:11 am
I suffer from hives, but am able to control it with atarax. Some years ago, when the I didn't take my atarax, and the hives took control, the doctor gave me a shot of adrenalin which cured my hives in a few minutes. Sounds like your son might have some sort of allergic reaction - maybe to some foods - which is very common. Really feel for your son.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 12:38 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I suffer from hives, but am able to control it with atarax. Some years ago, when the I didn't take my atarax, and the hives took control, the doctor gave me a shot of adrenalin which cured my hives in a few minutes. Sounds like your son might have some sort of allergic reaction - maybe to some foods - which is very common. Really feel for your son.

I have hives too, although I don't do anything to treat them. They are not dangerous unless your breathing is interfered with.

By the way, who do the shots work for you, cicerone?

So I just try to ignore them, and avoid foods/things I'm allergic to. Allergy-caused hives come and go and can sometimes be pressure sensitive (developing in response to pressure on skin due to a high histamine level.) They can also be in the form of welts, or target rashes. The common thread of hives is they should come and go and change. If the rash is persistent over several days and does not change or respond to pressure I would guess it is something other than allergies.

Make sure your son's breathing stays clear while you are trying to find the source.

If you determine that it is allergies you can do home testing - for example, start with a basic food and eliminate other foods, slowly adding on new foods. Or you could try leaving out one specific food per week. You can also experiment with different detergents, and find out which allergens are high in your area when - and see if his rashes are linked to that. There is also the option of desensitization - allergy shots.
0 Replies

beebo

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 07:51 pm
Yeast infection? Can happen anywhere moist. Try any of the creams that women can use for themselves - they are really effective. If he is still in diapers let him "breath" alot.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 05:33 am
Re: My son has a rash and I need help.
mom wrote:
Hello,
My son developed a rash over a week ago and we don't know what it is. I have taken him to the doctor and they also don't know. He has it near his armpits, on his elbows, on his face, and on his penis. In the beginning, his cheeks were red but he really didn't have raised bumps. However, the next day after taking him to the doctor, he began to have raised bumps that itched. Now a week later, nothing has subsided. In fact, it is as if it is worse. I took him to the doctor again and they still don't know. If anyone has any information, suggestions, please help.
AK

Sounds like it could be an allergic dermatitis. Have you changed laundry detergents? Has your son changed his soap? Has your son started any new medications? Have you recently obtained a new pet? Have you recently treated your lawn with a new fertilizer?

I would consider allergy + dermatitis. Confused
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 05:36 am
mom wrote:
Hello everyone,
I have a few probs. The first being that I am stationed in Guantanamo Bay and I am very limited to doctors (i.e. one pediatrician). Also, there is no dermatologist on the island.
I have not changed anything as far as detergents and such. I am beginning to believe that it is something in the environment. We have been here for eight months and when we got here, my son broke out it a similar rash but not exact.
He is 7 years old. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
mom

I just read your above comment.

How about the water down there?

Are you using bottled?

Recently, in the press, some bottled water has been found to contain a high level of a chemical class called "bromates". Try to change your water source for your son.

Also...do any other children have rashes?
0 Replies

mom

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:37 am
Thanks for all the suggestions. I just took my son to the doctor...again and they still don't know what it is. Like most of you, I believe it is some type of allergic dermatitis. I have requested to see a dermatologist in the states. I am waiting for an appointment and approval. We do use bottled water. I will try to determine if that is the cause.
0 Replies

mog

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 12:11 am
Some skin problems are related to breathing disorders like asthma. See if your child (in a resting state) breaths in through the nose and out through the nose or mouth. If it's all through the mouth and no nose action, see if you can teach him early on how to breath properly. Get a second opinion from another GP.
0 Replies