Christo and Jeanne Claude

flyboy804

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 01:12 pm
As i stated earlier I was and still am opposed to the project in theory; however it really is pleasurable looking at the gates in the current configuration with the fabric still furled and sheathed.
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 02:57 pm
Not sure if there's anything online, but the February 05 Smithsonian has an article on Christo & Jean Claude and the gates; the pictures of his other works in it are gorgeous. I'll see if I can find it online.
Ecco! This will open a pdf, the only way you can read the whole thing. But sadly--no pictures. They really really really want you to buy the magazine!
http://www.smithsonianmag.si.edu/smithsonian/issues05/feb05/pdf/christo.pdf

Osso, sorry to hear about your first exposure to Goldsworthy. Totally get it--especially from an artist! I only came upon him about 3-4 years ago. The leaf thing-lame. Never knew of this, only the rock arrangements, arches and works along that line.

There's a guy in California who has created lovely earth sculptures, he was on SPARK*, a local PBS show on local artists, who does some intense work that he installs and builds with the community. Very interesting. As the pieces age, they take on new life (literally and figuratively) as people leave and animals move in and insects discover it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 09:40 am
http://www.cartoonbank.com/assets/1/120528_m.gif

I sooooooooo thought of this thread when I read/saw this last night. (finding it online was a project)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 09:48 am
I have that down to a science now after the initial project. Cartoonbank, then keyword, then voila.

(Good issue, ain't it? :-) )
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 09:54 am
An amazing issue.

(Do you ever have moments where you think you should come here and do a search on Joe Nation's posts, cuz some things just sound/read sooooooo familiar? Happened twice yesterday)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 10:02 am
TOTALLY!!!!!!!!

Also the book that is heavily advertised and has "Joe" in the title and is written by a Jonathan. I did an image search on Jonathan Tropper to see if it was our Joe.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 10:07 am
I just knew you'd feel that rhythm too!

<and back to Christo>
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 12:57 pm
they showed the unfurling of the gates on the news - no change in opinion - they were unimaginative and boring I thought. He and Mrs C were simpering coyly.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 01:14 pm
The website JoanneDoral linked to toward the beginning of this thread has some very interesting in-progress photos.

I really wish I could see the installation in person. I suspect I'd like it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 01:44 pm
There's a slideshow on the page of today's New York Times article on this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/13/nyregion/13gates.html?hp

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/02/12/arts/mohin650.jpg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 01:49 pm
Red Sails in the sunset?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 03:12 pm
Their really more orange than red and The Today Show gave the artists and the work a good long spot this past week. It's their most interactive work as people coming to see the installation can walk the course through the hanging fabric doorways. Touchy, feely!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 03:24 pm
I'm looking forward to seeing the project next week.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 05:46 pm
I envy you Noddy. After seeing that little slide show at the Times, I'd really love to see those saffron wafts.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 07:47 pm
ehBeth--

I promise a full report, heavy on opinion.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 07:48 pm
Ha!

Laughing

I wouldn't expect anything less.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 09:08 pm
Thanks for the slide show, Beth. From the pics, I like it much more than I expected to. The very warm and alive colors are wonderful against the cold and gray winterscape.

The photo that made the biggest impact was one where people were just doing usual Central Park things with blase New Yorker faces -- running, etc. That's where I'd imagine it would be the most wonderful, for people who intimately know and love the park and use it and are able to do so with this fantasia emphasizing everything for 16 days.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 09:18 pm
So, does it do that, relate to the design of the park?

I am as you know in the camp of liking his work despite my purist self, and of course I'm not that purist, I do landscape design (trying to act lightly on the land..) But I also tend to back away from pr heavy stuff, and using the environment for the pr heaviness. She says, frowning.

Damn, it looks really good!

So, anyone read the NYT thing on Heizer last week?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 09:23 pm
Good issue, you mean the NYer this week? I am just getting into it...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 09:29 pm
Yep. Beth opened a thread on an article in it and has posted a coupla cartoons which is why I commented, but it does seem to be an especially good one.

Hmm, thinking about reviving NYer short story discussion, was already thinking of it after reading this issue's. Interesting one, takes you certain directions and then gets more subtle/ less conclusive than you'd expect.

But off we go again...

As far as I can tell, it does relate, in that it follows the paths. Allows room for people to use the paths as they usually do. (Except for, like, stilt-walkers? Probably some horizontal limitations too.) Just emphasizes what's there.

Look forward to more pictures/ first hand impressions!
0 Replies