Christo and Jeanne Claude

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 07:04 am
They will do New York soon I love his work wonder how he will do the Big Apple and how people will react. His dislay in Rifle, Colorado, was a favorite of mine. While I thought it beautiful most Coloradians held it in disdain. I guess they thought Rifle was OK just as it was?

http://www.christojeanneclaude.net/sharedMedia/ValleyCurtain/vc1.gif
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 14,194 • Replies: 246
No top replies

SealPoet

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 07:34 am
When I was in college, back in '82, we had a lecture series of movies of his works to date (most notably Running Fence) and a lecture by Christo and Jeanne Claude...

I like his work very much...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 10:46 am
truth
To confess my limitations, I don't respond to Christo or any of the other Herculean artists. Bigness is no criterion for me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 10:51 am
Joanne, I have a link somewhere on the NY show, will post it after work.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 04:23 pm
He has taken concept art and made it into an event. It is something like climbing a mountain because it is there.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 06:12 pm
truth
Like climbing a mountain, yes. That's why I called it Herculean Art.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 06:36 pm
Yes, because it is there that is good. I like it because it is bold and I have been looking for one he did in CA but cannot remember the city or area. I thing it had something to do with the wind turbos but I am not sure.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 07:36 am
Does "bold" equal "good"?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 07:39 am
No not all the time just like big does not always mean good. What I appreciated about Cristo is his use the earth comgined with his vision.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 07:42 am
Is his vision consistant with a sylvan setting?
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 08:46 am
I was just being contentious. The "art" won't be installed until February and will only be up for two or three weeks; hence he and his fans will have a chance to admire it and most park regulars, who don't spend much time in the park at that time (myself included), won't be offended.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 08:52 am
Lightwizard wrote:
He has taken concept art and made it into an event. It is something like climbing a mounting because it is there.

and, most important, because it 'needs to be done'!
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 09:04 am
Can you please explain "needs to be done". I do not believe that people felt that they were deprived without his previous works.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 09:49 am
Christo's work to me represents man's intrusion on nature as well as putting his stamp on nature. In doing so he has called attention to natural wonders -- the wall of curtains following the terrain, the color contrast to the surroundings, the representation of the effect of the wind -- many things to convey man's relationship to nature. It's an abstract concept that I believe one would have to see in person to really appreciate.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 09:57 am
Lightwizard wrote:
It's an abstract concept that I believe one would have to see in person to really appreciate.

probably very true - I don't really relate to his work at all.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 09:59 am
art, for me, is 'emotional communication'; and the 'objects' that christo wraps, or otherwise 'accents' do seem to have a 'presence' that requires 'pointing out' (similar to lW's comment).

i feel that he is 'embracing' it, not despoiling it, but the important thing to me, and i think probably to Christo, is that people react strongly to the works rendering them, in my mind, fully valid, and valuable works of art.

connecting intellects is hard enough; but joining hearts virtually impossible.
(and for everything else, there's MasterCard!)
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 10:31 am
According to the New Yorker it will consist of 7,500
gates and polymer banners and will surround Central Park. It has taken 20 years to get the OK from the city and Mayor Bloomberg was the catalyst. I was amazed at the beauty of his renderings and drawings which are now fetching huge sums and are the basis for the collateral loans that underwrite his herculean art work. By the way, his wife Jeann-Claude deserves an equal amount of respect for without her there would be no Christo art.

Check out the New Yorker-Mar.29
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 10:32 am
Art can be an emotional or intellectual communication or a combination of both. In film, Stanley Kubrick explored both. If you see Christo's work in person there is an emotional impact. I went to see the curtain he did on the California coast and it did have an emotional impact in a metaphysical way.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 10:44 am
Good comparison LW I like it and thanks for the memory of the curtains.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 10:57 am
truth
The Wizard's reading of the meaning of Christos' work, viz. that it critiques man's imposition on nature (in contrast to embracing nature), is the kindest (and the most interesting) I've heard yet. I still don't respond to it. And I don't think I would in person either. If I want to marvel at size I'll go to Niagara Falls.
BTW, my unkind reading is that he wants to improve on nature, and, of course, fails utterly.
0 Replies