fluency in English

WBYeats

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 10:51 am
Hi, in a CV/resume, under the category of 'language:', is it meaningful to say 'fluency in English' simply?

If it's 'fluent in English' or 'fluency in English is good/satisfactory', it's meaningful, but I'm not sure whether Britons/Americans say 'fluency in English' simply.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 613 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 12:11 pm
@WBYeats,
An American would say "fluent in English" (or whatever other language they considered themselves to be fluent in); i suspect that an Englishman would say the same, but i can't state that to a certainty.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 12:12 pm
By the way, i would like to note the absurdity of an American or an Englishman writing "fluent in English" on a résumé which is written in English.
JTT

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 12:17 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
By the way, i would like to note the absurdity of an American or an Englishman writing "fluent in English" on a résumé which is written in English.

Well, there you are, WB.
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 07:46 pm
Thank you, Setan and JTT. Then let's change it. Would Britons/Americans say this in their CV/resume?

-Language Proficiency: fleuncy in Mandarin.
Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2013 02:29 am
@WBYeats,
Once again, an American would be likely to write: fluent in Mandarin.
McTag

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 01:40 am
@Setanta,

So would a Scotsman.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 04:01 am
@WBYeats,
WBYeats wrote:

Hi, in a CV/resume, under the category of 'language:', is it meaningful to say 'fluency in English' simply?

Wouldn't a person who needed to ask that question would be guilty of lying in their CV if they claimed to be fluent in English?

0 Replies