I need help with friends, girls, and "My Loner Life" please

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 03:47 pm
So I’m 17 years old, and I think I’m a pretty cool guy. I listen to 80s music and rap, like movies and I’m pretty athletic( the kind of guy that watches SNL on Saturday nights because he has nothing better to do) and I’ve played basketball since I was in 5th grade, and now I’m a Senior and I still haven’t made any good friends. Actually, I don’t have anybody to hang out with at all. I can get friends if I want to, but they aren't people that I can see myself talking to. I’m catholic and Mexican, so like, I wouldn't say I’m super religious, but I do have good morals, and don’t like how this world has come to. I've always wanted to have a group of friends that I could hang out with, and talk about 80s music, Basketball, and other things that I’m into, but I can tell I live life to a different beat. Everyone at my school is a huge prep, really Mexican and all they do is party, and talk about getting hammered, but I don’t like doing that! I’ve worked since I was a kid, because I’ve never had anything to do other than basketball, and Spending time with my family, so now I have bought my 2nd car. (Irrelevant but just stating the facts) I would like to think I have pretty good manners, and I’m funny too, because I can get about anyone to laugh if I really try.

I grew up with 3 older brothers and 1 older sister, and I am the youngest. The oldest brother is 32, and the youngest brother is 29, and my sister is 23, so you can tell that I grew up with different likes and values than most of the people in my school. I go play basketball at open gym, and was on the varsity team since I was a sophomore in high school, so I guess I’m pretty proud of that. At school, I’m pretty funny in class, and chit chat with people, but you know, the usual high and goodbye, but that’s it. I’d like to think that I’m a confident person, and I’m not to bad looking, or so I think, so I don’t know if people think I’m weird, or something, but whatever. I use to be pretty chunky as a little kid, but know, I think I’m pretty fit, and about 5’11, so I’m not a short person. I don’t get invited to places when I hear people are going to, like the school’s football games, or anything, and I’m scared that will be lonely forever. I’ve become sort of a loner, and when I’m not a school, I usually go home and just chill in my room, go to work, or go play basketball(which I love to do), and that’s about it. I might get invited to things once in every new moon, but that’s about it. My front door neighbor is the closest thing I have to a best friend, because hes the person I hang out with. Hes a pretty cool kid, I like hanging out with him, but idk, it feels like he regrets hanging out with me. It sucks that I haven’t talked to people that like the same things, or do things I do, and I just feel alone most of the time.
I know a lot of girls have liked me since I was a little kid, but ive never really gone for them, because I’m scared that they’ll think I’m weird because I have absolutely no group of friends. I wouldn’t like her to say, hey, bring your friends and ill bring mine for any reason, because I wouldn’t know what to do. My religious views might have something to do with the friends I pick from this generation, because they almost all are douches, or something. I’ve been talking to a girl now for about 2 years, just as friends, and she’s gotten to the point where she’s called me in the middle of the night buzzed, and has told me that she’s loved me, and what not, and that’s cough me off guard. She’s into different activities then I do, and she’s into music that’s a little out of my taste( I’m into 80’s, rap, classical, ect) and she’s more a little retro rock, or some sort of bands but not the hard core stuff, like 2 door cinema and stuff, so as you can see, we are different. She’s white, but her mom is Mexican, and her mom is good friends with my mom, and we met at a church event, so I think she’s a good egg. I once told her a lie, telling her that I didn’t want to be friends with her about 2 or 3 months ago, because I was scared that she was getting to close to me, as I live very secluded and what not. She had a gotten her first boyfriend when I told her that, and just recently broke up with him, and know I think I should ask her out, because I can’t find any girl that’s so down to earth as her, not that ive been looking for a girl, but she’s pretty cool. I wouldn’t consider myself as a loner, but now, I think I do. I have no friends, and last night I hung out with this girl in my room and watched a movie. We talked about how we’ve been and stuff(long story short), but idk, I’m nervous because I would have wanted to find at least 2 good friends to call my own, before I ever even thought of getting a girlfriend. I’m going to try to look for some good friends, because right now, I’m trying to make it seem like we are now friends, so it’ll give me some time before I make my move. I still don’t know if I want her as my girlfriend, but I just want to get the ball rolling in things, because I feel like if I don’t make anything happen this senior year, I’ll never get good friends, or a girlfriend. I’ve gotten use to being alone all the time, but know, I’m getting stomach aches, because she’s a social butterfly, and I just don’t want to be a loner with a girlfriend, and no life! It sucks that I’m like this, and I’ve never known what to do. It kind of stinks that I have this mind set, but I know that ill live at least mentally happy because my moral views are at least being released. I’ve tried hanging out with people, but I always find myself to think they are upnocktiouse, reckless, annoying, or we just have nothing in common. Both my parents are in their 50s and 60s, so as you can see, I’ve gotten use to their sort of way of life as well, and am living with them right now, obviously. I don’t want to grow up and never had any girlfriends, or friends, or a life when I was a kid, as my brothers and sister always tell me how awesome their lives where in high school! I don’t think I should have been born in this generation, because I don’t have anything in common with people. Just sucks-_-… I’ve never even had a kiss from a girl, and plan on being abstinent until I get married, because I think that’s how its suppose to be. Sorry, I just wanted to vent, I feel sorry for myself that I don’t have a life, and now, I’m talking to this girl I blew off 3 months ago, and I just know she’s the only one that wants to understand me, but I just can seem to go through a relationship without any friends or a life. She just told me that she went out with this guy because it was spontaneous, but I think It was for me to get jealous or something, but it’s made me realize, that the world is going on and passing me by, if I want it to or not. I know she really likes me, but I don’t want to hurt her again, like I did this past summer. I had a dream when they were going out, and she told me that both of them where going to a creative college to gather when she graduates( she’s a Junior) and this and that, and I just like I had an appifiny when I woke up, and I told myself I needed to get things going, even if I didn’t like them, or how it felt inside, because I didn’t want to be the lonely kid, that’s a creep when he grows up, with no life, no friends, no girl, and still living with my parents or something. I don’t know how it got like this, but I’ve always told myself God made me like this, and everything happens for a reason, but maybe he made me like this, so I can change it, and make something for myself. It sucks that I come from a small town (about 20 thousand people live here) as well.
If you have any suggestions for me, be happy to comment, I just wanted to know if anyone’s ever felt like this, if this is normal, or if I’m just that one weird dude, that can’t get a life, and am always gana be shunned from life Sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,213 • Replies: 5
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 04:09 pm
You sound like a great guy. Don't apologize so much about who and what you stand for.

Friends are not going to come banging on your door. You are going to have to WORK on finding people who share your values - and that's OK.

Do you go to church? Can you volunteer at the local youth center teaching kids how to play basketball? Believe it or not, volunteering is a great way to meet people who share your passions. Youth volunteers are needed at local hospitals, too.

You really need people around you. Does that make you uncomfortable?

Is college in your future?

Re: that girl. Don't settle for an old shoe (something comfortable, just 'cause you know it)
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 04:10 pm
@ThisIsTemporary,
if you want to be a member of the herd then you must comply with the norms of the herd, which in this case would mean getting drunk and talking about ******* girls. through words and actions you are telling them that you dont approve of how they live so of course they want little to do with you.

if you are going to college then just wait and reinvent yourself there. If not then you are pretty well fucked, and I dont know how you get out of this jam.
vikorr

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 04:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
Going on Hawkeye's analogy - you need to find a herd that is similar to you. You could be angus beef hanging out with dairy cows (mind you, there's pros & cons for both...angus gets fed better, but doesn't have to get attached to milking machines for much of it's life...but Angus has a shorter life expectancy)

That said, at the end of the day, you should always keep in mind that cows have a hell of a lot more commonalities than differences..
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 04:37 pm
@vikorr,
Quote:
Going on Hawkeye's analogy - you need to find a herd that is similar to you.
in a tiny town, and he is mexican who does not want to act mexican? good luck with that. University is the best option.

edit: the old school family based conservative mexican value system might still work in the old country, but from what I have seen it does not work for mexicans here in America. young largely liberal whites cant take what is seen as backwardness, and the other mexicans dont understand why you dont wake up and realize that you are in America now.
vikorr

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 04:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
Who said his herd is in the same town as him?
0 Replies