What in holy hell? People "rehoming" their children.

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2013 03:53 pm
Quote:

The teenager had been tossed into America's underground market for adopted children, a loose Internet network where desperate parents seek new homes for kids they regret adopting. Like Quita, now 21, these children are often the casualties of international adoptions gone sour.

Through Yahoo and Facebook groups, parents and others advertise the unwanted children and then pass them to strangers with little or no government scrutiny, sometimes illegally, a Reuters investigation has found. It is a largely lawless marketplace. Often, the children are treated as chattel, and the needs of parents are put ahead of the welfare of the orphans they brought to America.

The practice is called "private re-homing," a term typically used by owners seeking new homes for their pets. Based on solicitations posted on one of eight similar online bulletin boards, the parallels are striking.

Reuters analyzed 5,029 posts from a five-year period on one Internet message board, a Yahoo group. On average, a child was advertised for re-homing there once a week. Most of the children ranged in age from 6 to 14 and had been adopted from abroad – from countries such as Russia and China, Ethiopia and Ukraine. The youngest was 10 months old.

http://www.reuters.com/investigates/adoption/#article/part1

I'm speechless.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 4,365 • Replies: 21
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2013 04:53 pm
I watched an NBC news show that touched on this. Tomorrow they plan to show interviews with some of the ones guilty of this.
Pearlylustre

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2013 04:59 pm
@boomerang,
And apart from how horrendous this story is, once again Facebook shows they have no ethics whatsoever.
boomerang

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2013 08:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'd like to see that show. Was it just a news report or was it a regular show?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2013 08:49 pm
@boomerang,
It was on the network daily news at 5:30.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2013 08:52 pm
@Pearlylustre,
I'm pretty heartsick over this story. I never could have imagined that people would do that sort of thing. How unbelievably cruel.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 06:35 am
Parts 3 and 4 are up this morning....
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 09:05 am
@boomerang,
I've read a number of stories about orphans from the communist countries whose heads were messed so badly by age four or five that there was nothing anybody could do for/with them, and that a number of people who adopted such kids without understanding what they were dealing with were in impossible situations. My guess would be that with the demise of communism (everywhere other than the US at least), such stories will become fairly rare.
boomerang

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 01:31 pm
@gungasnake,
These kids are really from all over -- including America. I think the oldest one that talked to was 23 -- so born in the 90s. I'm not sure what communism has to do with it.

It's interesting to me that most people sing the praises of adopting internationally over adopting from foster care because they think foster kids are "messed up". Every child in this article was adopted internationally.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 02:50 pm
@boomerang,
Cruel, incredibly cruel.

Off topic, not about children, but the cruelty struck me as similar -

If you read this, a story I've been following, read to the end:

http://blog.sfgate.com/cityinsider/2013/09/10/sf-sues-nevada-after-it-refuses-to-pay-patient-dumping-bill/
boomerang

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 06:06 pm
@ossobuco,
How in the world can people be so callous? I can't wrap my head around it.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 06:29 pm
@boomerang,
Mental institutions were cruel. My father was in one, Camarillo, but then shunted to a va hospital.

How much I would like to talk with him now, but he went and died.
So much we should have talked about.
I did know he loved me.

So, about callous re children or adults?

I don't know, but I think callous is within us when the puck is aimed at our eyes.
But also, that some don't have any sense of connection, probably from icky parenting.

The subject of your thread is mesmerizingly awful. Something about ownership until that is thrown away.

boomerang

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 08:04 pm
@ossobuco,
Now there's a thread that would make us all cry -- things you should have talked to your parent about. There are a lot of things I'd love to talk to my dad about.

It is mesmerizing awful, isn't it? That report has left me feeling battered. Tomorrow is the last installment. I hope there is some kind of resolution re: Nicole and she won't be able to get her hands on any more kids.

And, of course, some changes in the way international adoption is handled.
0 Replies

scarlet01

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 01:10 am
@boomerang,
This is such a horrible thing these people are involved in. Adoption is a very serious decision and needs 100% commitment, once taken. It feels so bad to read about this kids and what kind of people are these who are doing such ghastly stuff! Brings a shudder to imagine the plight of these kids. Very harsh measures are required to tackle this.
shewolfnm

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 07:06 am
I think people have the false idea that america is with out sex slavery, child sex trade, child labor camps etc. There for they can just dump a kid and still think that child will get a better life HERE than where they came from simply because they are now in america.

*sigh*

I dont know.. i cant really get my brain around it either.
what.. in the holy **** is wrong with people....
Ragman

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 08:24 am
@shewolfnm,
Not to be flip about something so serious, but I call them 'creeple'. They only resemble people physically.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 09:40 am
@scarlet01,
I can't count the number of times we were asked whether we understood the permanence of adoption. Even the times when I thought we'd gotten in over our heads there was NEVER a question of it not being permanent.

(Honestly, I shouldn't be so surprised that there is no oversight. When our (now) son was left with us I tried to notify some state agencies that his parents were AWOL and they didn't care.)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 09:45 am
@shewolfnm,
shewolf!

I think many adoptive parents expect a child to be grateful. People tell them how wonderful they are to be adopting and they expect the kid to think they're wonderful too. Instead, the child is scared and confused and angry and the parents don't get where their wonderful went.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 09:50 am
Watch all three parts of Child of Rage. It's scarey and heartbreaking.

This little girl had such abuse in her infant years that she never had a chance. Her adoptive parents suffered too; yet they were able to find help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME2wmFunCjU
boomerang

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 06:46 pm
@PUNKEY,
There are way too many heartbreaking stories out there. I think for the most part adoption, when done right, can be wonderful for all of the people involved. But even when it's wonderful there is pain involved.

One thing that truly bothers me about this story is that there are probably a lot more real nuts Googling "disrupted adoption" today.