If you were in charge in Iraq...

nimh

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 03:55 pm
Aristide was hardly a democrat ... not even in the most elementary "basic-rules-of-the-game" way.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 04:05 pm
If I were in charge,I would take the money and run. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 06:14 pm
mark
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 06:44 pm
au1929 wrote:
If I were in charge,I would take the money and run. Rolling Eyes

Speaking of Chalabi.....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 10:13 pm
ConstantlyQuestioning wrote:
I can agree with that. And remember, I never said we should never allow a Muslim government, but that we should make sure that that Muslim government is on good terms with us.

There's that verb "to allow" again . . . why cannot foks recognize some simple math? There are likely as many as 25 million Iraquis, and perhaps more . . .

"Based on previous statistics, what was the current population of Iraq? a correspondent asked. The Iraq Central Statistical Office had estimated that in 1997, there were some 22 million Iraqis, she said. According to the United Nations Population Division estimates, the current population of Iraq was about 26 million. In 2000, the population had been some 23 million."

(According to the United Nations, August 8th, 2003, to be found at un.org)

We have slightly more than 100,000 troops there; the Brits, Spaniards, Italians, Poles and some very small national contingents comprise perhaps an additional 40,000. In a situation in which nearly any able-bodied citizen of that nation between 12 and 70 is a potential gunman or bomb, the disconnect of supporters of administration policy with regard to the numbers is appalling. Absent a financial commitment we cannot afford, and casualties the nation is unlikely to tolerate, what precisely does anyone propose justifies discussing what we will allow the Iraqis to do?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 07:30 am
You are now thinking that EVERY Iraqi is against the US liberation of Iraq. I am sure that theere are plenty of people in Iraq that have had there fill of the Mullahs trying to force their backwards religion on them and would welcome a free country.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 07:52 am
McGentrix
No not every Iraqi is a religious fundamentalist however, religion is a crucial part of Iraqi and indeed Islam society. Their religious leaders are able to influence the mindset of their adherents even to the point of suicide.
It reminds me of the war in the pacific. When the marines were island hopping they took very few prisoners. Why, because the Japanese's would fight to the death for their Emperor who was in a way their deity.
Like it or not there is no way to take the religious component out of our war in Iraq.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 08:05 am
I don't think the avaerage Iraqi is any more influenced to kill in tghe name of their religion than the average American would be to kill in the name of theirs.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 08:11 am
Your are entitled to your opinion. But events would seem to tell us otherwise.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:58 am
PDiddie wrote:
Quote:
Then I would bring in thousands of international observers to ensure the first election was scrupulously fair.

I would rather see this happen here in the United States first before we begin exporting the Republicans' idea of 'fair'.

What's the Iraqi word for Diebold?

<SPILT MILK ALERT> Rolling Eyes

Hey, maybe we could get the Democrats from Arkansas to open the polls on Sundays exclusively for bus-loads of Shiites brought directly from Mosques. Maybe in some other places in Iraq we can get them to keep the polls open a few extra hours despite a judge's ruling that they close on time. Oh, and don't forget that tried and true Democrat tactic of enticing the homeless with free smokes. Load 'em on a bus, give them a name under which they can vote, march 'em into the polls...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 10:14 am
McGentrix wrote:
You are now thinking that EVERY Iraqi is against the US liberation of Iraq. I am sure that theere are plenty of people in Iraq that have had there fill of the Mullahs trying to force their backwards religion on them and would welcome a free country.

No, i'm not thinking that, so please don't put words into my mouth. I find you contention about the attitudes of the populace toward the mullahs to be hilarious--and suggest you are making suppositions which cannot be supported. My point is, even if only one percent of the population are willing to fight us, we would be outnumbered two to one. Every percentage point added to that just worsens the odds.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 10:18 am
I wouldn't get involved in Iraq in the first place.
0 Replies