languages and job opportunities

possopo

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 06:25 am
i'm new here so hi everyone:)

could anyone tell me what languages you think can provide you with the best assets to find a job?

i'm french and i live in paris. i think i'm quite fluent in english and in spanish. i can also read (with a good dictionary;) and speak (with a warm-up period;) german and russian.

i fear russian is and will be of very little use in the future. i haven't still quite decided whether i should try to learn chinese, japanese or arabic (the three arise my interest) of focus on the two above-mentioned.

my guess is chinese will gain more and more weight in the future. what do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 766 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 08:14 am
I think English is by far the most important language for you. That's not just because of the many Indians, Americans and Commonwealth citizens who speak English as a first language. The most valuable aspect of English is that everybody speaks it as a second language.

Learning new languages is a good thing for many reasons. But for the specific purpose of improving your job opportunities, it's English. Once you have specific plans about working in some particular foreign country, you can still learn whatever language is spoken there.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 08:46 am
English and Spanish are the best to learn, after French.

As Thomas indicated, English is the most widely spoken business language. Many companies from non-English speaking countries have adopted English as their "lingua franca" for internal communication.

Spanish gives you access to all of South America (except Brazil, of course) plus Spain!

I'd suggest Chinese as your next language, should you so wish, but getting your English near-perfect should be your greatest priority for work in the immediate future.

Bienvenue a a2k et bonne chance avec tous ces langues.

A bientot

KP
0 Replies

gerd

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 11:04 am
Languages
i think everything the guys are mentioned will not change your mind because if you love languages you will continue studying them the rest of your life, no matters what people say, besides languages are very important, it is true that english is the first language, but if you want to work in UNO or a world wide company you MUST speak at least 5 languages if you want to be competitive.

Saluts mon ami! et bonne chance
0 Replies