Kerry: Raise the gas tax

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 12:15 am
It's generally not a good idea for a politician to force himself between a driver and her vehicle, especially if, say, the driver is a swing-voting, SUV-driving suburban mother in a battleground state dependent on the automobile industry. The situation would become downright combustible if the politician had a history of advocating high gasoline taxes. That, however, is precisely the position in which John Kerry finds himself.

In addition to being a longtime supporter of higher gas taxes, in 2002 he co-sponsored a radical proposal to raise fuel-efficiency standards of passenger cars and trucks by an average of 50 percent by 2015. Such a two-pronged approach would surely spell the end of the SUVs that American consumers have embraced.

Naturally, Michigan Democrats, including Gov. Jennifer Granholm and U.S. Sen. Carl Levin, are aghast at such a proposal. The autoworkers' union, which has endorsed Mr. Kerry, also strongly opposes what it rightly considers to be a job-killing proposal.

Thus, it is understandable why Mr. Kerry became so testy after the Bush-Cheney campaign reminded voters in auto-dependent Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, Missouri and other battleground states that he proposed to increase the gasoline tax by 50 cents a gallon in 1994, the year after he voted to raise the federal gas tax by 4.3 cents.

Mr. Kerry was already feeling the sting from Bush-Cheney ads highlighting the $1 trillion "tax gap" between his spending promises and his deficit goals. Meanwhile, gasoline prices were increasing, largely in response to rising world oil prices, which recently hit 13-year highs. The last thing Mr. Kerry wants voters to know is that in the not-too-distant past his deficit-reduction tool of choice was a 50-cents-per-gallon gas tax.

Because he never actually voted to raise the gas tax by 50 cents, Mr. Kerry likes to portray his support for the idea as an inconsequential flirtation that occurred long ago under circumstances different from today. Nothing could be farther from the truth. As co-chairman of the Concord Coalition, a bipartisan deficit-fighting group, Paul Tsongas issued a report in 1994 giving a failing grade to Mr. Kerry for his 1993 votes on several deficit-cutting bills. The report was especially galling coming from Mr. Tsongas, the former one-term liberal Democratic Massachusetts senator whose seat Mr. Kerry won in 1984 after Mr. Tsongas retired.

A Kerry spokeswoman told the Boston Herald that Mr. Tsongas had engaged in "sick political gamesmanship." The Boston Globe reported that Mr. Kerry himself called the group's scorecard "irresponsible." What was Mr. Kerry's principal complaint? The Concord Coalition report failed to account for "my support for a 50-cent increase in the gas tax," Mr. Kerry angrily complained. With nearly 50 percent of the nation's 20 million barrels per day oil consumption going to motor gasoline, that idea would translate into a $70 billion per-year tax increase.

Considering Mr. Kerry's trillion-dollar-and-growing "tax gap" and his radical environmental agenda, highlighted by his goal of effectively eliminating today's SUVs and other vehicles of choice, voters everywhere would be wise to fear Mr. Kerry's fuel-efficiency radicalism and his love affair with sky-high gas taxes.

Washington Times Op-Ed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,442 • Replies: 27
No top replies

kitchenpete

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 08:55 am
Prices need to rise in order to make some kind of contribution towards the environmental costs of pollution.

Here in Europe we pay around $4 per gallon, most of which is taxes.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 08:59 am
Hear, hear. And to limit those darn SUV drivers!!!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 09:02 am
being a radical liberal and all, I would empose an immediate 50 cent per gallon gas tax and devote all of it to mass transit/alternative transit. (but I would keep my Porsche)
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 09:04 am
On of the biggest gas-chains here in germany, ARAL, has put stickers on their pumps, saying "76% of every € you pay for gas is tax...". So we're paying almost $5 a Gallon here for premium, €1.11 a liter, depending on where you fill.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 09:05 am
As long as you didn't buy the Porsche SUV, dys, it's ok for you to keep the 911!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 09:07 am
Generally speaking, SUV drivers can afford more gas. It's the people who require a car to get to work at the minimum wage jobs that they use to support their families that are going to suffer from higher gas taxes. The rich could really care less, so the only ones that are going to suffer are those that already are.

Way to be sensitive to those that are already down.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 09:07 am
Quote:
Kerry: Raise the gas tax

I agree with Kerry on this one. In the medium run, taxes in America need to rise so the budget deficit can be reduced. Nobody likes paying taxes, but gas taxes are one of the most efficient kind of taxes, so I'd prefer to see them raised rather than the income tax.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 09:09 am
Wait a sec you guys - this the bloody Ol'USA - gas hogs bigger and my rig is bigger and meaner than yours mentality. KP right now the way I see it, the oil companies are raping the consumer sorry if you disagree - hell I don't know what your couintry is doing with the $4.00 per gallon they are getting - but here in the state I live we enjoy being one of the top taxed states in the 50 for gasoline. Knowing that and knowing what others pay in cities that refine oil to gas - there's a whole bunch of greedy bas'tids out there, Oil stock are always going to be something good to invent in.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 09:12 am
That's the truth, too. SUV drivers won't give up their vehicles. They drive them in Europe, too. But at least the automobile industry in Europe was forced to develop more economical, cleaner SUV's. You won't find many of them in the States yet, for they are not in demand, since gas is so cheap.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 09:20 am
dyslexia wrote:
being a radical liberal and all, I would empose an immediate 50 cent per gallon gas tax and devote all of it to mass transit/alternative transit. (but I would keep my Porsche)

dys,

I agree - there needs to be an alternative from each person moving a tonne of metal around each time they need to go to work. If you wish to pay for a fuel-inefficient car, you just need to pay the price of your environmental damage.

By the way, I think the SUVs probably use far more fuel than a Porsche, anyway, because they are so much bigger and less aerodynamic!

KP
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 09:29 am
"he co-sponsored a radical proposal to raise fuel-efficiency standards of passenger cars and trucks by an average of 50 percent by 2015. Such a two-pronged approach would surely spell the end of the SUVs that American consumers have embraced. "

I find that to be a very responsible position. This is really the way we need to be thinking, for so many reasons, including those listed by posters above. And in my opinion, if you drive a large gas-guzzler, you ought to pay more at the pumps than everybody else. You made the choice to use more of our gas, so you should pay for the privilidge to do so.
Aside from that, I read the other day that, despite what "the opposition" says, Kerry has never made an issue of that .50 a gallon tax frequently touted. Supposedly, he's never said any such thing.
Another lie, it would appear.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 09:43 am
Suzy
they do have larger tanks and it costs more to fill them and also they pay more per mile since they are less efficent - so in effect they are paying more taxes per mile. So besides having a luxury tax for being over $50,000 now we want to overhaul an industry to get more tax revenue. AUtomakers are required to have there fleets average X MPG - so if they have a bunch of little cares getting XX MPG they can have a few SUV getting X MPG.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 09:43 am
Have to agree with Kerry on this one, but it isn't going to affect consumption by those in the higherst income brackets
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 10:37 am
http://www.myselfpublishing.com/a2k/gasprice.jpg

GAS UNDER THE KERRY PLAN
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 05:18 pm
Husker, Last I heard, the luxury tax on cars no longer exists. Instead, you get a big fat tax write-off for buying a luxury SUV.
Don't you agree that that is bizarre, considering?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 05:43 pm
How funny, I thought I'd be a loner coming onto this thread and supporting gas taxes. I think fiddy/gallon would be a good start.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 05:50 pm
Raising taxes fiddy per gallon would get people's attention for a short time then they would forget and gripe about that the oil companies have prices set to high, most states already average forddy cents per gallon tax. State, Fed and local combined.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 05:56 pm
The thing I want is for that fiddy/gallon to be set aside for environmental protection and alternative energy development. Like that would happen.

Brand - if people forgot all about it, all the better. They could raise it again after a while.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 06:57 pm
Big Hairy Spiders wrote:
It's generally not a good idea for a politician to force himself between a driver and her vehicle, especially if, say, the driver is a swing-voting, SUV-driving suburban mother in a battleground state dependent on the automobile industry. The situation would become downright combustible if the politician had a history of advocating high gasoline taxes.

That, however, is precisely the position in which Dick Cheney finds himself:

Quote:
In October 1986, when Dick Cheney was the lone congressman from energy-rich Wyoming, he introduced legislation to create a new import tax that would have caused the price of oil, and ultimately the price of gasoline paid by drivers, to soar by billions of dollars per year.

"Let us rid ourselves of the fiction that low oil prices are somehow good for the United States," Mr. Cheney, who is now vice president, said shortly after introducing the legislation.

Oil prices had plunged to $15 from nearly $40 a barrel in the early 1980's, as Saudi Arabia flooded world markets, and Mr. Cheney argued the tax was needed to stabilize oil-state economies devastated as a result. But other lawmakers, including some Republicans, criticized the Cheney plan and similar proposals as "snake oil" that would throw 400,000 Americans out of work. They also said then, as President Bush does now, that higher taxes would stall the economy.

New York Times

Let me highlight the soon-to-be-famous Cheney quote:

"Let us rid ourselves of the fiction that low oil prices are somehow good for the United States."

Senator Richard Durbin provides the smackdown:

Quote:
"It is hard to explain," Mr. Durbin said, "how they could attack John Kerry for even considering a 50-cent gas tax, which he didn't introduce or vote for, and ignore Cheney's own legislation in 1986 which would have dramatically raised the cost of gasoline. If every vote and every statement made by John Kerry is fair game, the same thing is true of President Bush and the vice president."

A spokesman for Mr. Cheney declined to comment.

Flip-floppity goodness gracious! Cool
0 Replies