if not the size?

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 11:44 pm
Hundreds of thousands of people around the woprld rallied against the U.S. presence in Iraq in the first anniversary of the war Saturday, in protests that retained the anger, if not the size, of demonstrations held before the invasion began.

Don't get what "if not the size" means here.

How to pronounce "2"" below?

We used the thymidine analog 5-bromo-2'-deoxyuridine(BrdU) to label mitoticaly active cells during sphere formation.

I pronounce 2' as two, but I know this is wrong.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,449 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 01:41 am
Oristar, "If not the size" refers to the number of people at the rally. This statement suggests that there weren't many people there.

I'm not a chemistry maven, but I see no reason why you wouldn't pronounce 2 as two. It looks like two prime to me. Is this what you mean? The 2' is two prime, which is two times two. I think. I wasn't good in chemistry.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 02:17 am
"if not the size"...means that fewer people were at the gathering, than on previous occassions.
( my guess!)
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 06:28 am
Hi Roberta and Miller,

I've guessed it at the beginning, that "the size" meant the size of previous demonstrations, but yet been stumbled by "if not". And I still remain puzzled after reading through your reply. Does "if not the size" mean "maybe not bigger than that size"?

Regarding the pronunciation of 2', just let it slide. Razz
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 06:34 am
Just read 'if not" as "but not" in this example.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 06:34 am
Slappy has a line he always uses on the womenfolk, and I think it may be applicable here...

"If not the size, then the motion."

I hope that helps, oristarA
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 06:35 am
That is, the demonstrations were as angry as the previous ones - "retained the anger" - but were not as big.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 06:35 am
Oh, and don't listen to Dlowan.

She's a bit strange.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 06:36 am
The 2 is exactly that. It's referring to the numerical position of the particular functional group.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 07:02 am
gustavratzenhofer, dlowan is nice. Smile

I think you meant "if not the size, than the motion".

Hi Wilso, the question is how to pronounce it -- 2'.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 07:02 am
Re: if not the size?
oristarA wrote:
Hundreds of thousands of people around the woprld rallied against the U.S. presence in Iraq in the first anniversary of the war Saturday, in protests that retained the anger, if not the size, of demonstrations held before the invasion began.

Don't get what "if not the size" means here.

How to pronounce "2"" below?

We used the thymidine analog 5-bromo-2'-deoxyuridine(BrdU) to label mitoticaly active cells during sphere formation.

If you don't pronouce the 2' ( as 2 prime ) you will, indeed be wrong. The 2 prime designation indicates where the -OH moiety has been eliminated.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 07:06 am
Okay, 2' = two prime in pronunciation.

But I could not find out the definition that if equals to but in any dictionaries.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 07:13 am
I believe it is more

It's not the size, it's the motion.....
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 08:02 am
Oristar,

The writer is acknowledging that there were not as many protesters as in past demonstrations, but the ones that were there, were just as angry as before.

I think that "if" in this instance means "even though" the size of the demonstrations were smaller.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 08:47 am
oristar, another thought:

"albeit"
is probably more succinct

albeit= conceding the fact
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 02:39 pm
oristarA wrote:
Okay, 2' = two prime in pronunciation.

But I could not find out the definition that if equals to but in any dictionaries.

Used as in 2'-deoxy----whatever. Nothing more than postional information tied to the chemistry. Smile
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 05:36 pm
I think you meant "if not the size, than the motion".

Oristar, Nope. "Than" is wrong. "Then" is right. If the size isn't all you'd hoped for, THEN the motion will make up for it.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 08:51 pm
Hi all,
I am afraid Joeblow's "even though" and "albeit" are more accurate.
Then really okay now, Roberta Smile
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 09:45 pm
oristarA wrote:

No, that's correct. Otherwise I'm a bit perplexed as to what you're trying to find out.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 12:59 am
Wilso wrote:
oristarA wrote:

No, that's correct. Otherwise I'm a bit perplexed as to what you're trying to find out.

Hmm, but if there is another thymidine analog named 2-bromo-2'-deoxyuridine, so you pronounce the 2-bromo-2'-deoxyuridine as two-bromo-two-deoxyuridine? People who hear this might be confused by you. But if you pronounce it as two-bromo-two prime-deoxyuridine, the people who hear this might immediately understand it as "2-bromo-2'-deoxyuridine".
0 Replies