My dog keeps pulling off her bandages

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 09:47 pm
My dog recently hurt her foot and will not stop licking her wound. I tried putting bandages on her foot but she ripped them right off. And I would prefer not to put a cone on her because I know she would not have a good reaction. Also, I dont want to put hot sauce and what not on her bandage to prevent licking because I am worried that the hot sauce would leak through and make her wound worse. I know those were most likely the best options...but are there any others? Thank You (:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 948 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2013 01:41 am
@Averbonus,
The cone is really the best solution. The dog deals with it after awhile. Dogs do not react as badly as you think. Healing is done is far quicker time without adverse effects. I've had dogs in that same situation and they get by while healing properly.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2013 01:50 am
@Averbonus,
Dogs don't like cones, but they do prevent the animal chewing or licking the wound - and that is essential for the healing process to take place. Different dogs react in different ways - the best thing you can do is to try and keep the animal occupied, with chews, toys, and lots of attention. There are soft cones advertised, but I don't know how effective they are - perhaps your vet can advise you about them.

Good luck, I hope your pet makes a quick recovery.
0 Replies