Is my sentence correct?

JTT

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 02:55 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
because people might think it were a possessive.

There you go again with that silly hypercorrection, Set. And you say you learned all about the subjunctive from your "study" of French.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 03:03 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
For anyone else troubled by its use as an abbreviation for "colloquial" I apologize most profusely

There's no need for you to explain your use of your language, Dale. Despite what Big Bumbler says, he doesn't own the English language.
JTT

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 03:09 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
How often would you allege that these thins are mentioned?

Google Advanced exact phrase search

"the book's point"
About 267,000 results

"the book's cover"
About 1,760,000 results

"the book's publisher"
About 2,750,000 results
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 04:54 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Since it appears that you're just being pissy, as usual, allow me to point out that Dale alleged that using "book's" could cause confusion because people might think it were a possessive. I see no reason to agree with that, just as i usually see n o reason to agree with you when you're pontificating.

it is obviously not a possessive in that sentence, and it is unreasonable to worry about people thinking so; however you were altogether wrong when you said that 'book' hardly ever requires a possessive, and when I corrected you you didn't like it, because you are full of ****. Go piss up a rope.
Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 01:47 am
@contrex,
So are you prepared to allege that book is commonly found using a possessive? Don't piss down my leg and tell me it's raining.

What a sour-pussed old man you are. Are you so starved for entertainment that you jump on every opportunity you can to argue with me? How sad for you.
contrex

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 02:03 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Don't piss down my leg and tell me it's raining.

I was going to **** on your head and tell you there's a squadron of bovine aviators overhead.

Quote:
Are you so starved for entertainment that you jump on every opportunity you can to argue with me?

Pot. Kettle.

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 02:51 am
@contrex,
Selection bias . . . you're the one who comes around looking for the arguments, not me. Personally, i don't care if you live or die. I do enjoy, though, your puerile, playground insults. It puts your intellect into sharp focus.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 10:06 am
@JTT,
Quote:
There's no need for you to explain…...
Thank you JTT for your support, you've once more made my day, a rare occurrence hereabout
0 Replies