Who is the most likeable movie star?

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 09:17 pm
I would have to say that Tom Hanks has to be the most likeable guy in hollywood. As for women, I can't think of the most likeable one right now. No matter, I am sure you A2Kers can help me out on that one.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,959 • Replies: 96
No top replies

eoe

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 09:21 pm
I'll agree about Tom Hanks. As far as women, I think most people like Meg Ryan, in spite of her split with Dennis Quaid.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 09:23 pm
I was going to say Meg Ryan too, but I heard that she's sort of stand-offish in real life. I don't know where I heard that.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 09:29 pm
tom hanks annoys me to no end!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 09:29 pm
Why???
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 09:32 pm
I dunno - he has since bosom Buddies.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 09:34 pm
Bosom Buddies? But that's when it became clear that we were witnessing a star-in-the-making. wasn't it?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 09:36 pm
not to me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 09:42 pm
Tom's Bossom Buddies role seemed designed to keep him from getting ahead; so I thought. I did not really appreciate him until after he had starred in several movies. Now I look forward to most of his new roles. (There is something unappealing about the one they are now advertising, however).
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 10:01 pm
Tom Hanks' strar shown bright, IMO, on Bosom Buddies. It was apparent from the first show almost, that he was something special. Same for Billy Bob Thornton on that show with John Ritter and Markie Post. There was something special about him. You just knew he was gonna be a star.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 10:05 pm
Anyone remember "Bachelor Party"? How about Paul Newman? He might not be the huge star he once was, but I think he always seems like a nice guy to me.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 10:14 pm
Nah. No one remembers "Bachelor Party" ha-ha. Or "Bonfires of the Vanites" for that matter.
Paul Newman had his time. For as long as he wanted it. I'll never forget, few years ago, during one of our rip-roaring lunchtime sessions at the theatre where I worked, the more mature women were espousing on the wonders of Mr. Newman, marveling at how great he still looked. A young woman lunching with us shrugged, just not understanding what the big woo was all about. To her, he was just an old, has been actor. Well, I loaned her my copy of "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" and she came back into the office that Monday with a big smile on her face.
"Now I get it", she said.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 10:30 pm
Ha ha, that's a good story.

And now he's got that line of salad dressings. All the money goes to charity. That is a pretty damn cool thing to do.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 10:32 pm
I finally thought of a female movie star. Jennifer Aniston. I love her. Now SHE is likeable.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 10:40 pm
I REALLY don't get what all the fuss is about her. She is just so dime-a-dozen to me. Lisa Kudrow, on the other hand, is a hoot!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 10:49 pm
I never used to like her either, but I saw her in "The Good Girl" and I thought she was great, and then I saw her on Letterman, and she just seemed like a genuinely nice, down-to-earth person. She totally won me over.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 10:56 pm
The Good Girl is what really turned me on to JA. Although I credit her for my liking of Office Space.

I was very Anti-Friends when it first came out. But after four or five years of being on, my wife started watching the reruns in syndication, and I started too. It's not as bad as I thought it was. Still not the show I must see (I've yet to see more than a couple from this season) but it's okay.

I like watching Jackie Chan. I watched a documentary he did on his stunts, it was pretty impressive. Okay, he's not the best actor(but he's not bad), but watching him do his stunts is pretty amazing. The guy seems to be fearless.

I like watching Owen Wilson. The way he talks and goes off on things is pretty amusing.

Ben Stiller's pretty good, too. I really enjoyed him, Jenna Elfman, and Edward Norton in Keeping the Faith.

What? No one mentioning Sean Connery?
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 11:32 pm
Tom Hanks seems very genuine...all his co-stars have remarked how great he is to work with and how he shows up even when he is not scheduled.
But yeah, Bachelor Party was pretty awful, thank goodness he recovered. I have a thing for Morgan Freeman and Samuel Jackson both great actors and seem to be swell guys :-)
Don't see much in Jennifer Anniston...but then i haven't viewed the "good girl" yet.
I would love to meet Charlize Theron..she actually seems pretty down to earth..Sigourney Weaver is a favorite too.
Turner: Jackie Chan is a fav in this house too..and Owen...Sean was cool until his quote about slapping women.
From the past, i would have to say Jimmy Stewart hands down...though my roomie puts in a good word for Gregory Peck...:-)
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 11:36 pm
Wot's this about Sean and slapping women? I missed that.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 02:26 am
Quote:
"To slap a woman is not the cruellest thing you can do to her," he said in a Vanity Fair interview in 1993.

http://film.guardian.co.uk/Feature_Story/feature_story/0,4120,336032,00.html
0 Replies