Best Time Travel Movies

oralloy

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 06:47 am

12 Monkeys.

It takes a bit of thinking to puzzle out the complicated knot that they tied the timeline into. The movie itself only depicts the final version of the timeline, after all the changes were made to it.

Not exactly the happiest of endings though.

Warning: Spoilers, but a good analysis of what happened to the timeline:
http://www.mjyoung.net/time/monkeys.html
jespah

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 06:59 am
Somewhere in Time - stars Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour.

I also kinda like Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure but of course the quality is suspect (it's a popcorn silliness flick).
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 08:10 am
@Brandon9000,
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (2006)
Source Code (2011)

IMDB labels Planet of the Apes (1968) as time travel yet I don't despite the astronauts waking up centuries after their voyage began. Do you see Planet of the Apes as a time travel movie?

Galaxy Quest (1999) has a time travel scene but it's not a major part of the plot but rather a plot device.

I'm also surprised no one has mentioned 12 Monkeys (1995) already. I just rewatched it and its a good film but it does have a reputation as a cult film with a loyal following. [EDIT] Ooops. Mentioned once already.
Setanta

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 08:13 am
@tsarstepan,
Oralloy mentions it just above your post.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 08:17 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

12 Monkeys.

Have you ever seen the experimental French short film in which 12 Monkeys is loosely adapted from? La Jetée (1962), http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056119/combined
jespah

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 08:29 am
@tsarstepan,
I think Planet of the Apes is almost a time stretch movie, if that makes any sense (e. g. the action can't happen without the characters having slept through time passing, a la Rip Van Winkle, versus a device or conceit getting them there more or less automatically). I suppose 2001 could fit into that bucket, too.
Ragman

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 10:26 am
@jespah,
I'd call it sci-fi. If we must, how about Time Warp fantasy?
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 10:32 am
@Ragman,
Of course it's sci-fi. Smile I don't think Time Warp Fantasy makes sense in terms of Planet of the Apes. There really isn't anything special about the passage of time in the movie's opening premise. Definitely nothing magical happening.

It would be like calling everybody in the world who goes asleep at one point at night and waking up in the morning and calling them time travelers. In Planet of the Apes, they were merely sleeping longer then 8 hours as they were in a deep tech induced sleep (like the main characters in Alien and Aliens if memory served me correctly)
Setanta

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 11:34 am
@tsarstepan,
La Jetée was just plain weird. I didn't care for the still frame format.
Ragman

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 11:40 am
@tsarstepan,
umm..maybe it's my memory...but how did a 20th century astronaut get from the present to the future earth without something magical happening? Did he not hit a time warp (or time shift inducement) somewhere?

Anyhow..without nitpicking this to death, my choice is to call it a time-warp fantasy. Your mileage may vary.

Bottom line is that it's still about time travel (OP).
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 11:44 am
@Ragman,
PLANET of the APES SPOILER (Don't read if you don't want key plot points spoiled... yadda yadda yadda):

As far as I understand remember it, the astronauts were traveling between two points in outer space and were in a deep tech induced coma. Something happened to their mission and their ship never returned to Earth in a timely fashion. Basically their ship was flying through space while they're in a deep sleep and when the ship finally kicks into gear and returns to Earth, the astronauts have been away from Earth for centuries.

Glitchy hardware not magic or time warp is what caused the far flung time adventure.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 11:46 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

La Jetée was just plain weird. I didn't care for the still frame format.

Yep. Annoying gimmick done to keep the production costs extremely low.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 11:48 am
@tsarstepan,
Oh!

Charlton Heston is a pretty adept time traveler after all....he was both Moses and Ben-Hur.

BTW, I just read that same person responsible for this movie was also the author of "The Bridge on the River Kwai"!
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 12:00 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
the one, whose name I forget, where H.G. Wells himself really did invent a time machine.

The book was very good also
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 12:04 pm
@MontereyJack,
Speaking of star trek the first TV star trek show have a wonderful story line of the away team being send back to the 1930s earth by the actions of a machine on the planet surface and the good doctor change the future in a manner that wiped their future out.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 12:15 pm
@BillRM,
That was one of the best episodes (IMO). City on the Edge of Forever with Joan Collins, written partially by Harlan Ellison.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 12:29 pm
From Wikipedia:

Spielberg made this film.

"L.A. 2017" is a 1971 episode of the NBC television series The Name of the Game. Sometimes referred to as "Los Angeles: AD 2017" (the name of Philip Wylie's subsequent novel based on his script) or "Los Angeles 2017", this was a science fiction piece, shot for only $375,000, about a publisher, Glenn Howard (Gene Barry), who finds himself suddenly plunged 46 years into the future only to learn that the people of Los Angeles are living underground to escape the pollution and under the thumb of a fascist government run by psychiatrists. Its director, the 24-year-old Steven Spielberg, used imaginative camera angles to drive his first movie-length television episode across and remarked in later years that the show "opened a lot of doors for me".
At the end, Howard wakes up to discover it was all a dream—although there is a chilling final image of dead birds that hint at a troubled future ahead. Presenting the story as a dream was the only way that Wylie's science fiction tale could be fitted into the peculiar format of The Name of the Game, a show about the magazine business set in the present and rotating between Gene Barry, Tony Franciosa, and Robert Stack (and in the third season also featuring Peter Falk, Robert Wagner, and Robert Culp).
This was the sixteenth episode of the third season, and the cast included Barry Sullivan, Edmond O'Brien, and (in a brief cameo) Spielberg's friend Joan Crawford. The episode is 76 minutes long (90 minutes including commercials). It has never been released on home video, neither as a stand alone film, nor as a part of the series.
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 12:39 pm
Land of the Lost.

Just adding to the list, not voting for it.

I like Time After Time, previously mentioned.
vonny

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 01:15 pm
@Ticomaya,
Pleasantville
The Time Traveller's Wife
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 02:11 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
the one, whose name I forget, where H.G. Wells himself really did invent a time machine. Jack the Ripper, a noted surgeon, was a friend of Wells in the movie. He steals the machine to escape, Wells follows him to 20th Century San Francisco and confronts him. "Jack" refuses to go back and utters the line which makes the movie a classic, "Back in our time, I was a monster. Here, I'm an amateur.".

"Time After Time" (1979). An absolute train wreck of a movie. Wells, one of my favourite writers, was played by Malcolm McDowell. The other week I heard an old BBC recording of an interview with Wells, who had, to my slight surprise, (I ought to have expected it) a quite pronounced Bromley accent. Needless to say, McDowell's character didn't.