UK on Syria: "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn"

0bserver

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2013 11:51 pm
@izzythepush,
Yes, you are right. Rumsfeld's definition is the most important issue here.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 12:00 am
@0bserver,
At least in the sense of that he coined that term. And that this expression is used since January 2003 to refer to European countries that did not support the 2003 invasion of Iraq.
0bserver

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 12:02 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Well, and I refuse to use it. Sue me
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 12:06 am
@0bserver,
No problem.
But then you'd better define what YOU mean by "old Europe".

(Not the other fixed term, meaning pre-Indo-European Neolithic culture in south-eastern Europe located in the Danube River valley, I suppose.)
0bserver

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 12:16 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Fine. How about the European part of the Old World? Seriously, is this the most important issue you could find on the topic of chemical weapon use in Syria?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 12:34 am
@0bserver,
0bserver wrote:

Seriously, is this the most important issue you could find on the topic of chemical weapon use in Syria?
No. And my response wasn't at all related to that.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 02:18 am
@0bserver,
0bserver wrote:
, I am ashamed for Canada just as much as for the UK,

No mention of Canada in the thread's title. Just something to confirm your hatred of the UK.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 02:53 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
No mention of Canada in the thread's title. Just something to confirm your hatred of the UK
no reason to hate the UK, the UK is largely irrelevant. The EU is run by Germany now and since you boys were never on board with the scheme in the first place you dont have a place at the table. as for your own island, nobody gives a ****.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 03:03 am
@hawkeye10,
Nobody gives a **** about your cretinous outbursts.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 03:15 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Nobody gives a **** about your cretinous outbursts.

ha, the problem for you is that too many people still care about truth. Maybe someday you zombies will matter, but I doubt it. Your wife died and you decided to curl up in a fetal position and piss on everyone, thinking this makes you heroic, when the word is "sad".
victim culture will only support you so far.
0bserver

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 03:34 am
@izzythepush,
I don't hate anyone. Enough with this useless rhetoric. For the record: I can list more than a hundred countries which I think are worse than the UK - that's not the issue.

What does bother me in the UK policy are the double standards. The UK, with Catherine Ashton in particular are very strict when it comes to interfering in Israel's politics - Canada is not. If the UK chooses to be as neutral as Canada - it shouldn't impose itself on Israel. If it does - it should be consistent, and do so with Syria too ( and many many other countries that behave much worse than Israel, but are too scary to deal with).The difference is that it is easy to attack Israel, it is harder with Syria.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 03:44 am
@0bserver,
Quote:
If the UK chooses to be as neutral as Canada
the UK has no interest in that, they are currently running around Africa trying to dictate gay laws by force, and before that they were joining USA in invading muslim nations to impose their will.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 04:04 am
@0bserver,
0bserver wrote:
What does bother me in the UK policy are the double standards. The UK, with Catherine Ashton in particular are very strict when it comes to interfering in Israel's politics - Canada is not.
Catherine Ashton is a British citizen. But politically, she's the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy for the European Union and Vice-President of the European Commission.

Canada is not a member of the EU.
0bserver

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 04:09 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I never implied Canada was in the EU.

So you think the fact that she's British has no effect on the EU and EC policies recently? This part I honestly don't know: how much do the EU politicians depend on the public opinion in their home country?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 04:11 am
@0bserver,
0bserver wrote:
I never implied Canada was in the EU.
No, you didn't. But you put Canada together with the UK and the EU and EU-institutions.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 04:13 am
@0bserver,
0bserver wrote:
So you think the fact that she's British has no effect on the EU and EC policies recently?
I'm not sure what you mean with "EU and EC policies".
But I don't think that her citizenship is related to the EU's policy.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 04:15 am
@0bserver,
0bserver wrote:
This part I honestly don't know: how much do the EU politicians depend on the public opinion in their home country?
Depends, what you call "EU politicians" here. Public opinion has little to no influence on what the EU-commission and the commissioners do.
(Btw: Catherine Ashton is a member of Labour, the opposition party in the UK.)

Members of the EU-parliament are elected.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 04:17 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Public opinion has little to no influence on what the EU-commission and the commissioners do.
long been said.
do you understand democratic theory enough to see the problem?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 04:37 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
do you understand democratic theory enough to see the problem?
It's been some time since I got my degree in political sciences. But "yes", I think that I still understand 'democratic theory', at least basically.

Your question is related to .... exactly what?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 04:44 am
Back to the thread's topic: a military response no longer an option for Britain even if there are further chemical weapons attacks, said chancellor George Osborne on BBC1's Andrew Marr Show.
Guardian report