Do we really have to take military action to Syria?

Foofie

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 06:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

And the larger question is why must the US attack Syria when they pose no threat to US security? We can't be going willy-nilly to every crisis around the world when the rest of the developed countries do nothing.

It's idiocy to do so.

It's having a moral compass when one is strong enough to protect the weak.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 06:35 pm
@Foofie,
Your "moral compass" is a bit misleading when the US got involved in illegal wars that killed tens of thousands of innocent peoples.
gungasnake

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 06:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Your "moral compass" is a bit misleading when the US got involved in illegal wars that killed tens of thousands of innocent peoples.

Talking about Vietnam, Bosnia, Kosovo, Libya of course...

The main way you prevent that sort of thing is by voting against demoKKKrats.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 07:22 pm
@spendius,
You're reading far too much in it. It's just some diplomatic jibe.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 07:31 pm
@Miller,
Maybe... If Washington is still semi-functional.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 07:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I remember how Clary, the earlier a2k poster, liked Damascus. Or I think I do remember that. That was not all so long ago.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 08:56 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
That a guy like you would be "miffed" by Kerry calling France "our oldest ally" sounds strange.

I was not in the least miffed. I was saying that Kerry was miffed. Or acting to be. His scriptwriters carefully chose that phrase--our oldest ally--and took care not to mention your most faithful ally. As if we are little lads who are supposed to feel crushed like a young man whose long standing girlfriend has gone off with a newbie.

I laughed. We laughed. I bet Putin did too. There was an alpha Yank on our TV earlier saying that Obarmy is the worst president since Buchanan, a one-termer in 1857.

France was our first ally, dating back to the Revolution. Maybe not the most faithful since then, but certainly the oldest.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 09:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
"Freedom Fries"
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 09:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
Actually, not many know this, but the Kingdom of Morocco is our oldest ally. I learned this on one of my visits to Morocco some years after I was stationed there in the USAF in the late fifties. Our tour director in Tangiers told me this after I told him that I was stationed in Morocco in the late fifties.

Quote:
America's Oldest Ally Remains Key U.S. Strategic Partner - …
www.gctimesonline.com/online_features/community_cares/article...
(NAPSI)—When asked to name America's oldest ally, many would be surprised to find the correct answer is the Kingdom of Morocco.

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 09:46 pm
I always stuck with French Fries.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 09:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Your link doesn't seem to work, CI.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 10:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
The link doesn't work, but I was able to copy and paste what was shown.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 11:29 pm
WP is reporting that the Obama ask "pass a bill that will let us do what ever we want when ever we want for as long as we want" is DOA. Obama is going to be forced to put up a real plan with limits.
JPB

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 06:10 am
@hawkeye10,
At the same time McCain/Graham/other hawks are saying, 'In for a penny, in for a pound' and want us to bring another Iraq to Syria. I guess there's a three-fold question. Should we

a) saber rattle, but stay out of it otherwise?
b) limited military response with a specified intention and goal?
c) go all in?
JPB

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 06:12 am
@JPB,
I'm waffling between a) and b), mostly coming down on the side of a) because I think b) is another Pandora's box. c) isn't even on my radar.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 06:21 am
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2013/08/31/John-Bolton-we-are-watching-the-collapse-of-American-influence-in-the-Middle-East

Quote:
...weakest US president since civil war...
Olivier5

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 06:26 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Maybe not the most faithful since then

As for the faithfulness of the Americans to their French allies, it's best forgotten.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 06:37 am
@gungasnake,
Bolton is the stupidest FAUX commentator ever, and that says a lot.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 06:39 am
@Olivier5,
I wouldn't say he's stupid. He's a fascist, and he pushes his fascist agenda at every opportunity.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 06:41 am
@izzythepush,
If Obama really wants to win the vote all he has to do is make sure that some very rich men will become even richer as a result. The Republicans will then vote for it en masse.
0 Replies