Do we really have to take military action to Syria?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2013 11:17 pm
@glitterbag,
Yes indeed.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2013 11:20 pm
@izzythepush,
Putin is a paper tiger beyond the greatly reduced sphere of influence of Russia.

Certainly he can make mischief but he is hardly the leader of a Super Power.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2013 11:21 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

The concept of "we've got proof we can't show you" will never (hopefully) pass again.

And yet The One and his minions are trying it. One would think that this is reason to give his adorants reason to pause.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2013 11:22 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
A bunch of Japanese hoodlums pulled off some sort of a sarin attack in a Japanee subway tunnel some years back... Doen't sound that overly complicated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarin_gas_attack_on_the_Tokyo_subway

They only killed 13 people in that attack, despite attacking a large population in an enclosed space. It was more like a chemical version of the Boston Marathon bombings.

The attack in Syria resulted in at least 350 bodies in hospitals, and claims of many more dying without ever reaching a hospital. It was more like a concerted military attack by soldiers using heavy weapons and who knew how to use the weapons they were attacking with.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2013 11:30 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I think it's quite telling that the two democracies who are talking about military action, are those who don't need parliamentary approval to go ahead, France and the USA.

If Obama and Hollande had to go through the same process as Cameron they might end up with similar results.

Actually I lied, strictly speaking the UK does not need parliamentary approval, but since Iraq, it's inconceivable that any prime minister would dare to act without it.

I could easily be wrong but I think the last time Parliament decided it needed to put a stop to England's military exploits was about 250 years ago when the upstarts in colonial America had their hissy fit.

If so, this says something signifigant about the path the UK has followed, and nothing positive.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2013 11:38 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
Why do we have to be miffed with anyone?

Not miffed??? Kerry--France--"our oldest ally". And France is not there yet and if it gets there it will be more to do with traditional French interests in Syria and Lebanon than anything else. And there is a "leftie" government there as well as in the US.

Well, they are our oldest allies, considering they were happy to aid us when we decided to throw off the yoke of your tiny island.

Funny that someone who disparages the notion of a "Special Relationship" between the US and the UK should be irked by a comment that suggests France might hold that position.

Regardless of the comments of Kerry of Vietnam Who Wishes He Was French, and Spendi, I value the "Special Relationship" between the US and the UK, and while it certainly doesn't mean one of the two must always follow in lock-step the other, it's indicative of a naive and ignorant perspective that anyone might argue the "SR" is a bad thing.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2013 11:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

The US will ignore the UN as they see fit.

As well it should.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2013 11:40 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm hard put to recall any American president who has made so many personal attacks and slurs.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2013 11:45 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

I love it when spendi talks to himself. Remember way back when we all thought spendi and the world traveler, whateverhisnamewas, were one in the same? Set thinks that Foofie is a Miller sock puppet, but seriously... am I the only one who has noticed a difference is spendi's tone lately?

Yes, I think you may be.

Clearly, Spendius is not a "sock puppet" of anyone, let alone Miller (what an utterly ridiculous notion!).

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2013 11:47 pm
@roger,
Andrew Jackon probably surpassed the current incumbent, but then you cannot be expected to recall anything from the time of his presidency.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 12:02 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
I'm hard put to recall any American president who has made so many personal attacks and slurs.

Wait, what am I missing here?

Is Obama making slurs and personal attacks?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 12:04 am
@oralloy,
Earth to oralloy...or I apologize for missing your sarcasm.
oralloy

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 12:33 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Earth to oralloy...or I apologize for missing your sarcasm.

No sarcasm. Sorry, I haven't the slightest idea what you guys are referring to.

Obama seems refreshingly civilized to me compared to the demagogy of the Clinton years.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 12:37 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Obama seems refreshingly civilized to me compared to the demagogy of the Clinton years.

Clinton was all about near term political calculations.

Obama? we dont know. It is hard to say that Obama is an improvement.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 02:23 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
That sounds like the sort of thinking that led Hitler to believe that invading Russia would be a walk in the park.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 02:26 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
It says that after our troops were killed in a futile war based on false information we can't take America's word for anything.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 02:29 am
@izzythepush,
I don't understand how the US can start a war with Syria without knowing what our exit strategy will be; how long it will last, and what's the purpose of our attack?

It's a lose-lose option to go after Syria. Let the Europeans who live next door worry about what they should do.

Who's going to pay for the cost of any attack, and who's taking responsibility for innocent Syrians getting killed?

From Yahoo News.
Quote:
Putin Urges US to Hold Off on Striking Syria
LikeDislike
15 hrs ago 1:10
Associated Press Videos
Russian President Vladimir Putin urged President Obama on Saturday not to rush into a decision on striking Syria in response for last week's alleged chemical attack. (Aug. 31)

izzythepush

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 02:37 am
@cicerone imposter,
George Bush took America's reputation and flushed it down the lavatory. Before Bush, America's word was good enough, not any more.

And, what was even more unforgivable was that the war was carried out with breathtaking incompetence.

A retired Lebanese general was being interviewed on Channel 4 last night. He said any missile strike will have a negligible effect on the outcome of the war.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 02:50 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
George Bush took America's reputation and flushed it down the lavatory. Before Bush, America's word was good enough, not any more.

you are one stupid mother ******: americas decline started long before Shrub entered the political scene, and could not be stopped by him.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 02:51 am
@izzythepush,
How does Europeans feel about Obama?

I voted for him, but only because I thought he was the better of two bad candidates. It's gotten to the point where I refuse to vote in national elections in the future. It's hopeless, useless, and all screwed up!

I'm sort of glad I'm in the fall of my life. What we had during our generation was the best of times. There were some tough years, but over-all, job opportunity and the middle class made decent wages and benefits. Now, only the CEO's and officers of companies rake in the income and benefits. This will not change any time soon, and I see the divide between the top 10% and and bottom 90% getting bigger. It's really sad; even our politics have gone to pot.

I just feel badly for our children and the generations coming after them.