What should I do?

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2013 01:26 am
I broke up with my boyfriend few months ago and now he wants to be a friend. Can a ex-girlfriend and boyfriend be a good friend ? Will it be okay if I accept his friendship?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 599 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2013 03:14 am
I see no reason that you can't be friends. You must be careful, though, not to encourage him to think that things can be as they were in the past. If he thinks of this as "friends with benefits," you definitely should back off. If you don't know if that's what he has in mind, find out before you get to closely involved.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2013 10:09 am
@Mysterygirl,
Set has a point. Male/female friendships present many difficulties, not the least of which is the tendency for one to have or develop expectations not shared by the other.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2013 11:30 am
I'm with Setanta and neologist.

The question is one of expectations. Is he checking up on you, maybe using this as an excuse (and means of) to snoop on your Facebook and check out photos you may have taken with a new guy? Not everybody does that, but it's certainly something to consider as a possibility.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2013 11:48 am
@Mysterygirl,
Mysterygirl wrote:
I broke up with my boyfriend few months ago and now he wants to be a friend. Can a ex-girlfriend and boyfriend be a good friend ?

Yes they can, but there's no guarantee that they will. But that's not the question I would start with. I would start with the question, do I want to be friends with him?

Mysterygirl wrote:
Will it be okay if I accept his friendship?

Maybe, maybe not. There's only one way to find out.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2013 09:09 pm
Why did you break up? Was it a trust issue? Did he suffocate you or was he needy?

If so, then there's no reason why you need to give time to a person who does not make you a better person.

Be sure you want to and have the time to be a friend to another person.

0 Replies

Mysterygirl

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2013 03:47 am
@Mysterygirl,
I am hearty thankful to everyone for your suggestions.
Thank you everyone,
0 Replies