A doggy dilemma.

boomerang

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 07:31 pm
@ehBeth,
It isn't my decision to make.

I can post my thoughts too, even if they're different from yours, can't I?

I've marked up all of your posts because I appreciate your opinion.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 07:34 pm
@Thomas,
Bella had been in 3 or 4 homes in a matter of weeks before she arrived here. Kind of hard to know what she'd be pining for.

I have no polite way to respond to your other question.
boomerang

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 07:35 pm
@ehBeth,
I think animals are very adaptable.

The last cat we got is one that was just kind of left on our doorstep after her owner died. She'd never been around kids or dogs or been outside. She freaked out for a couple of days and then fit right in.

I think dogs adapt quicker than cats.

But I think our dog "pines" for us when we're away and we leave him with a sitter or at the kennel.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 07:37 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Bella had been in 3 or 4 homes in a matter of weeks before she arrived here. Kind of hard to know what she'd be pining for.

Is she pining for anything, though?

ehBeth wrote:
I have no polite way to respond to your other question.

A number would be pretty polite.
Thomas

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 07:46 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
A number would be pretty polite.

Perhaps I should elaborate. My mother, and her mother before her, have bought all their German-Shepherd puppies at 3--6 months of age. I can remember three of them personally, but the line goes much farther back. They all had an awkward first day, and they all were fully integrated into our family within a week. That's why it seems to me that you greatly overestimate the attachment of puppies to their old pack. But I'm interested in comparing notes with people whose experience differs from mine; that's why I asked.
boomerang

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 08:05 pm
@Thomas,
I'd like to hear of others experiences as well.

Maybe I've just been really lucky when integrating new animals into my home but I've never had a big problem. I've expected big problems but never had them.

We got Diamond when our last dog was very old and cranky and there were a few skirmishes but nothing overly serious. Old dog taught Diamond some manners. I imagine Diamond will teach this dog some manners too. Biscuit (the ancient cat) is all ready to go urban on the pup but I locked her in our bedroom to give the new kid time to chill.
Thomas

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 08:21 pm
@boomerang,
The only dog we had that would even remotely support ehBeth's theory of attachment was a fourteen-year-old dachshund whose owner had to move to a retirement home that didn't allow dogs. When she was eight years old, we had taken care of her during a vacation. Everything had gone wonderfully. But now she was fourteen, extremely frustrated about being separated from her pack, her body language signalling sorrow and misery all the time.

Unsurprisingly, her behavior was awful. She refused to walk, refused even her favorite foods, refused to defecate or urinate in the garden, took her business inside instead, and did it consistently in places where it would bother us the most. When we told the old owner of her suffering, his sister in law eventually volunteered to take her in. From one moment to the other, everything was fine again. Apparently, the sister in law had the right pack smell.

So, my opinion would be much closer to ehBeth's if the dog in question was 14 years old. But 16 weeks? I just can't see how that would raise pack-attachment problems.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 09:18 pm
It sounds to me like the dog would have a much more stable life with the Boomers. It wouldn't always be living on the edge, threatened by the latest wrinkle in their living situation or finances.

I also question the values of any family that would put their child's dog up for sale on a whim without making sure their kids were on board with the idea, and then have second thoughts when the transaction is done, expecting the new dog family to be just as cavelier with the feelings of their child and the dog's new home.

My vote is with the Boomers. It is to the better benefit of the dog for it to stay with them. It will be well cared for and loved.
Roberta

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 02:24 am
@boomerang,
I'm with Mo. Nothing has changed at the original owners' home. No fence. No money. They could get the dog back and then have to get rid of it again.
dlowan

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 09:32 am
@boomerang,
Yikes, that's tough. I have no idea what the best thing to do is, but I'd be concerned about the pup's future with people who got a pup without thinking about what fences they would need in the first place, resolved to re-home and then swung so fast.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 09:42 am
@boomerang,
Breeders are generally not letting kittens or puppies go to new homes, here in Oz at least, until they are big enough to desex.....and the breeders are insisting on having that done before the little one leaves for its new home. My kittens were closer to four than three months when I got them.

I have cavils about that, because I think it is too early for that operation, but I haven't heard about people finding the wee beasties don't bond. I think longer with their mums etc. is way better than going to new homes too young, though.

boomerang

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 11:28 am
@Butrflynet,
I get ehBeth's point though so I do feel kind of weird about the whole thing.

One friend suggested that perhaps someone had offered more money for the pup so they wanted it back to sell for more. That kind of makes sense -- young dogs are hard to come by here unless you're willing to pay a breeder. Shelter puppies are rare and disappear immediately. Most of the craigslists posts are people WANTING puppies.

Our vet and several shelters we were in contact with during the search recommended a young dog since we have other pets and lots of kids in and out. Mo kind of lucked out stumbling upon this pup soon after it was posted.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 11:31 am
@Roberta,
He's keeping her. He's in love with her. She slept with him last night and they've played all morning. She follows him everywhere.

I'm still a little torn about it but I don't feel like I can force him to give her up.
boomerang

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 11:34 am
@dlowan,
It is kind of weird, isn't it?

I'm with you on the age thing. I think cats and dogs (I don't know about others) should stay with mom until 12 weeks at the earliest.

I understand the rules of spaying (and even how it's being done) have changed in the 15 years since I've had a female puppy. I'll be chatting with my vet about it as soon as we get in.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 11:35 am
@boomerang,
Dilemma resolved. Good for Mo, you, and puppy!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 11:51 am
Now to a more important question: When can we expect pictures?
boomerang

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 12:01 pm
@Thomas,
I'll get some today. She's a total cutie. She's a German shepherd and husky mix, or so they say. She looks like a golden lab/shepherd mix to me. All legs and feet.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 01:52 pm
She's still a little camera shy but I managed to get a few:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/DSC_1165_zps40cb17fa.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/DSC_1171_zps99a145c3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/DSC_1167_zps7b231f43.jpg
Thomas

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 01:56 pm
@boomerang,
Smile

I can see why Mo isn't letting her go.
boomerang

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 02:10 pm
@Thomas,
I know! She's adorable.

And she adores him. I have some really cute photos of the two of them together but he doesn't like me posting his photos anymore.