If God ordered you to kill your child, would you do it?

Montana

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 09:46 am
Dyslexia is NOT a jerk Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 09:47 am
Montana wrote:
Dyslexia is NOT a jerk Evil or Very Mad

Who told you that? Laughing Laughing :wink:
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 09:49 am
Put em up Husker......
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 09:52 am
this thread has cast a totally new light on the old song:
Quote:
"Everybody must get stoned"
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 09:53 am
LOL Dys. I love it!
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 12:02 pm
BoGoWo wrote:
I must admit Terry, i wonder exactly where you are going here; what you expect to find out; what point you have in mind to make?

I have always found that hypothetical situations never lead to very interesting (or meaningful) places.

I want to know whether there are any theological grounds or precedents for refusing a direct order from God.

If not, then anyone who believes s/he has received such an order is obligated to act on it, regardless of the consequences - and that includes stoning your children to death.

It seems that most people here would question their own sanity if they thought God told them to kill their own child. But what if God told you to kill witches, Jews, abortion providers, homosexuals, or anyone else you believed was an abomination to God?

Would you put your own moral values above God's, and if so, where did you get those values?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 12:03 pm
Cavfancier wrote:
I had to vote for 'which child', because if I ever have more than one, and one is a complete terror despite great parental rearing, I might just fake voices in my head saying that god told me to do it. I'd go for a temporary insanity plea, and spend a few months in a nice cushy room. Seems worth preventing a lifetime of grief.

Some children seem to be born troublemakers who are possessed by Satan (not mine of course, who are perfect angels :wink: ), so God might be justified in demanding their death in order to save their future innocent victims?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 12:08 pm
Splitter wrote:
G_d didn't stop Joshua because he was the appointed leader of Israel after Moshe passed on. He didn't stop Jephthah, but the bible doesn't explicitly say he killed his daughter, only that he gave her to G_d. In those days that typically meant keeping her a virgin her entire life.

G_d isn't going to stop anyone from killing anyone, or tell you to kill your kids, that is just ridiculous.

Anyone who says, "G_d told me to do it." is a complete nut job.

God explicitly told Joshua to slaughter men, women, children and infants so that the Israelites could steal their land. God killed thousands (perhaps millions) of children personally, and had his own son murdered. So why would you assume that someone who said God told them to kill children was crazy?

Jephthah vowed to sacrifice the first thing that came out of his house as a burnt offering if he won a battle. He was devastated to see his only daughter run out to greet him on returning home from his victory. After granting her a 2-month reprieve to weep with her friends since she would never marry (the sole purpose in life for women being to marry and bear children), he "did to her as he had vowed."

To Jephthah (and to his daughter as well), his vow to God was far more important than her life. Is this a good thing for society, given that this kind of fanaticism also produces terrorists?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 12:08 pm
Children tend to 'stone' themselves to death at increasingly younger ages now. No need for the parents to get involved. Not to complicate matters with the idea that there is no god in the first place, I would indeed put my moral values above god's, if I felt the request was unreasonable, or just plain dumbass heavenly jokes on us mere mortals. Why? Because god supposedly gave us all free will, and I think he/she would be tickled pink if one of us actually exercised that gift once in a while.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 12:11 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
"If god ordered you to become an atheist, would you do it?"

A good theist is conditioned to rationalize inconsistencies and contradiction and might convince themselves that God wanted them to pretend to be an atheist in order to infiltrate the anti-God movement. God could prove his existence to an atheist, but the cognitive dissonance induced in the former atheist by renouncing a deity that they truly believed was real might be difficult to overcome. :wink:
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 12:12 pm
suzy wrote:
That's a tough one. I suppose if I really believed in that God and that he was speaking directly to me, I should probably do what he says. But I don't know if I could. I wonder if he'd then send me to hell for refusing? hmm...
I just think it's an excuse. Always.
Do you, Terry, believe that God talks to people and asks them to slaughter their children?

God supposedly will forgive any sin but blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. So I don't think he could send you to hell for refusing if you asked forgiveness. Of course, we have no way of knowing whether anything the Bible says about God is true.

I suspect that anyone who claims God talks to them is deluding themselves. But I have no way of knowing what a God (should any deities actually exist) would or would not do.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 12:13 pm
dlowan wrote:
Any god who attempts to trap its followers in goddamn paradoxies is not worth believing in - so I would revert to the default position in sheer spite.

Laughing
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 12:13 pm
CerealKiller wrote:
God doesn't talk to me, I've never heard his voice as in a conversation. Should a voice claiming to be God start telling me to do things, I'd be seeking medication. However, if God established communication with me to the extent that I believed it to be God, I'd obey His voice. I guess the gyst of the answer for me would be; determining if the voice were God's.

How would you determine whether the voice were God's?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 12:15 pm
Setanta wrote:
The Old Testament is full of such examples of scurrilous behavior, and the faithful seem willing to engage in any number of intellectual gymnastics to justify them. On the issue of Lot and his daughters, the Rabbi at AFUZZ asked me, apparently in all sincerity, if i would understand the need to assure that Lot's male line would not fail. Even he didn't have the chutzpah to claim that Lot got screwed by his daughters and slept through the whole affair. This is a collection of folk tales, it is malevolently partriarchal, misogynistic, racist and religiously elitist. The book of Genesis even inferentially acknowledges the existence of other gods. There is little to admire in the characters who inhabit those pages, and nothing worthy of emulation. It is pathetic to see how the faithful attempt to defend the text; and would be humorous, were it not for all the blood spilled in the name of religion, and the ever-present, very real threat of our polity being manipulated by those sufficiently credulous to take such nonsense at face value. Why should society tolerate your contention, or anyone else's, that god had instructed you to behave in a way which society justifiably condemns, simply on the strength of your conviction, and absent all other evidence?

That is the point of this whole exercise. If a society claims to be "under God" and to derive its morality from God's Word, who resolves the conflicts between the Bible and ethical behavior?

If someone claims that God ordered her to kill her kids, and the Bible backs her up, on what basis can we say she is wrong for acting on her beliefs?

The Bible advocates slavery, stoning rebellious sons, slaughtering your neighbors, killing witches, homosexuals, adulterers and false prophets, and denying women a voice in government.

So where does our morality come from if not from the God of the Bible?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 12:15 pm
Splitter wrote:
All of the text of the Torah (old testament) can be interpreted in many many different ways. Remembering that the modern text has been "roughly" translated and passed down for thousands of years.

Yes, I understand that there are four levels of interpretation (p'shat= literal, drash=allegorical, remez=hidden, sod=secret). But do you think that the literal meaning is ever "wrong"?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 12:47 pm
Terry wrote:
Splitter wrote:
All of the text of the Torah (old testament) can be interpreted in many many different ways. Remembering that the modern text has been "roughly" translated and passed down for thousands of years.

Yes, I understand that there are four levels of interpretation (p'shat= literal, drash=allegorical, remez=hidden, sod=secret). But do you think that the literal meaning is ever "wrong"?

wrong or misunderstood via language translation /limitations (greek and hebrew to english)
0 Replies

Derevon

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 12:57 pm
Wrong if interpreted as a historical account of an actual event. To me it is pretty obvious for example that Jonah wasn't eaten by a big fish and spent three days inside its belly. It's of course an allegory.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 01:05 pm
Terry wrote:
That is the point of this whole exercise. If a society claims to be "under God" and to derive its morality from God's Word, who resolves the conflicts between the Bible and ethical behavior?

The society does not claim to be "under god," those who subscribe to the pledge of allegiance, and shove it down the collective throat of a captive student body make that claim. This is a meaningless question.

Quote:
If someone claims that God ordered her to kill her kids, and the Bible backs her up, on what basis can we say she is wrong for acting on her beliefs?

Certainly, it is a violation of the criminal code in Texas, which, despite what one may allege about the religious character of the state's population, does not accept "god told me to" as a defense of murder.

Quote:
The Bible advocates slavery, stoning rebellious sons, slaughtering your neighbors, killing witches, homosexuals, adulterers and false prophets, and denying women a voice in government.

So where does our morality come from if not from the God of the Bible?

From something known for centuries as the social contract, first embodied in the individual constitutions of the first thirteen states, then embodied in the United States constitutio, and subsequently embodied in each new constitution, and each ratification of a new constitution to replace old constitutions in the several states. This was really one of your poorer efforts.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 01:06 pm
Derevon wrote:
Wrong if interpreted as a historical account of an actual event. To me it is pretty obvious for example that Jonah wasn't eaten by a big fish and spent three days inside its belly. It's of course an allegory.

and we know that because---it's stupid to think otherwise? so then how do we pick and choose what is patently stupid vs what is theologically stupid? there is some very strange thinking going on with all religions (from my point of view) to pick and choose, regardless of the rationale, that which is to be taken as literal-gospel vs that which is to be taken as allegory seems more than a difficulty. Perchance the entire crucifixon is "allegorical" and that would pretty much bring down the walls of all christian thought, (I would guess) or all we all at the mercy of
Quote:
"To me it is pretty obvious?"
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 01:45 pm
Setanta: Morality comes from the social contract?
0 Replies