If God ordered you to kill your child, would you do it?

Terry

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 10:57 am
Suppose that God told you to kill your child. Given that you have complete faith and trust in this God and are absolutely convinced that it is indeed His will that you sacrifice your child, could you refuse to obey Him?

Assume that He has assured you that the death of your child is absolutely necessary in accordance with His Plan, your child will spend eternity in blissful paradise, and you will also guarantee your own place in heaven by your obedience to His will.

Assume that you believe that everything in the Bible is true, know that the commandments only prohibit murder, not sanctioned slaughter, and that God has ordered children to be killed on numerous occasions. You believe that you are obligated to obey God's commands, whether or not you understand His reasons.

If you are a God-Fearing Christian, do you have any theological grounds for refusing to kill your own child?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 14,963 • Replies: 167

JLNobody

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 11:12 am
truth
Since the concept of a theistic God makes no sense to me, I would, upon hearing a message from some being claiming to be a theos, take myself directly to a psychiatrist.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 11:13 am
I would turn myself in and have my head candled!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 11:18 am
Oh God said to Abraham, "Kill me a son"
Abe says, "Man, you must be puttin' me on"
God say, "No." Abe say, "What?"
God say, "You can do what you want Abe, but
The next time you see me comin' you better run"
Well Abe says, "Where do you want this killin' done?"
God says, "Out on Highway 61."
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 11:22 am
Hmm god did it, and it became an annual party; don't think that's a game i'd want to get into Shocked
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 11:23 am
I voted "yes" since if a God indeed existed I would be a fool to resist. My poor son would just have to take his chances.
0 Replies

Derevon

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 02:33 pm
My view:

If somebody's child necessarily had to die for some strange reason, that could be arranged without involving the parent. Murder is contrary to love, and therefore contrary to God. Accordingly, God wouldn't order anyone to kill his/her child, since that would be to act against himself. Therefore the whole scenario is inapplicable as I see it.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 03:53 pm
I would check up the error in transmission or change my modem.
0 Replies

katya8

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 06:57 pm
"you who kill these children now
your hatchets blunt and bloody
you must not do it anymore
a scheme is not a vision
and you never have been tempted
by a demon or a lord"

leonard cohen

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 07:07 pm
Derevon wrote:
My view:

If somebody's child necessarily had to die for some strange reason, that could be arranged without involving the parent. Murder is contrary to love, and therefore contrary to God. Accordingly, God wouldn't order anyone to kill his/her child, since that would be to act against himself. Therefore the whole scenario is inapplicable as I see it.

So one is safe in assuming that you give no credence to the biblical account of Abraham and Isaac?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 08:02 pm
I don't have any children. Would it be ok if I killed somebody else's kids?

Don't worry, it's really no bother. I already have a few kids in mind.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 08:07 pm
Be sure to get a good law dog, when you do, Joe. I'm almost sure that you'll acknowledge the wisdom of the dictum that anyone who represents himself has a fool for a client.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 08:11 pm
He'd have to wait until I got out of the asylum. If I start hearing voices from God or anyone else that'd be the first place I'd head.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 08:12 pm
Life was much simpler 500 years ago. Then, hearing voices might get you command of the King's Army, if you played your cards right.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 11:27 pm
The way you have everything set up, me believing in God, believing in his plan etc., the only answer is yes.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 07:45 am
For all those who don't believe their God would kill children, what God do you believe in? Surely not the God of the Bible …
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 07:50 am
Quote:
I don't have any children. Would it be ok if I killed somebody else's kids?

Don't worry, it's really no bother. I already have a few kids in mind.

No, not God. But if my government asked me to kill somebody else's children...

But that's hard to imagine, ain't it?

Quote:
For all those who don't believe their God would kill children, what God do you believe in? Surely not the God of the Bible …

The Abraham and Isaac tale has already been mentioned. Of course, it should probably be noted that God stopped him. He only wanted to freak Abe out a little bit.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 07:54 am
BoGoWo, you mean that you don't celebrate Easter? Shocked

Edgar and Child, a logical choice. I am surprised that there are not more God-Fearing followers ready to do the Will of our Supreme God, no matter what the cost. Twisted Evil

Deveron, so you think it is OK to slaughter other people's children, if God tells you to? I am relived that an ocean separates you and my children!

Joe, maybe you and Deveron could get together and rid the world of those devilish children … :wink:
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 07:59 am
patiodog, good point. If we are willing to kill other people's children for our government, why not for our God?

The problem is deciding who is truly receiving communications from God, and who is just making it up to further their own political ambitions.

God stopped Abraham, but not Joshua (who only killed other people's children) or Jephthah, who killed his daughter to fulfill a vow to God.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 08:13 am
I must admit Terry, i wonder exactly where you are going here; what you expect to find out; what point you have in mind to make?

I have always found that hypothetical situations never lead to very interesting (or meaningful) places.