paok70

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 05:53 am
What does "get to" mean in the following excerpt taken from the book "The Drop" by Michael Connelly? The "Get to" is at the end of the excerpt. I have written it in capitals. Thank you very much for the help.

====================================================

“Harry,” the lieutenant said. “Hang back a second.”
Bosch looked at Chu and raised his eyebrows. He didn’t know what this was about. The lieutenant came around from behind her desk and closed the door after Chu and Marcia had left. She stayed standing and businesslike.
“I just wanted you to know that your application for an extension on your DROP came through. They gave you four years retroactive.”
Bosch looked at her, doing the math. He nodded. He had asked for the maximum — five years non-retroactive — but he’d take what they gave. It wouldn’t keep him much past high school but it was better than nothing.
“Well, I’m glad,” Duvall said. “It gives you thirty-nine more months with us.”
Her tone indicated that she had read disappointment in his face.
“No,” he said quickly. “I’m glad. I was just thinking about where that would put me with my daughter. It’s good. I’m happy.”
“Good then.”
That was her way of saying the meeting was over. Bosch thanked her and left the office. As he stepped back into the squad room he looked across the vast expanse of desks and dividers and file cabinets. He knew it was home and that he would GET TO stay — for now.

====================================================
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 551 • Replies: 2
No top replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 09:32 am
In this sense "get" has the meaning of allowed, permitted, having the ability, etc.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 02:28 pm
@paok70,
Get to = be allowed to

The kids get to lick the mixing bowl clean after their mother has put the cake in the oven.

I did extra chores for my dad so I can get to take the car this afternoon.
0 Replies