Is Obama the most Inept Foriegn Policy President Since Carter?

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 02:53 am
@hawkeye10,
Clueless, utterly clueless . . .

Whackeye wrote:
there will be no civil war in Egypt because the Brotherhood does not have the power to make one . . .

Quote:
CAIRO — Islamic militants today ambushed two mini-buses carrying off-duty policemen in the northern region of Egypt's Sinai Peninsula, killing 25 of them execution-style in a brazen daylight attack that deepens the turmoil roiling the country and underscores the volatility of the strategic region.

The killings, which took place near the border town of Rafah, came a day after 36 detainees were killed in clashes with security forces. In all, nearly 1,000 people have been killed in clashes between security forces and supporters of ousted President Mohammed Morsi since last Wednesday.

Source at Cleveland-dot-com (The Plain Dealer)

If you intend to set yourself up as some kind of expert on a topic like this, i suggest that you actually read the news and try to get a grip on what is going on instead of playing The Amazing Kreskin.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 03:04 am
@Setanta,
the can be no civil war in the Sinai because the Sinai largely lacks people. You might come to so understanding of terms before setting off embarrassing yourself.
Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 03:11 am
@hawkeye10,
If anyone is embarrassing himself, it's you, but you're too stupid and too ignorant to know it. The Islamists killed a couple of dozen police officers, did it in broad daylight and did it execution style. Doing it in the Sinai is smart, because insurgencies work by attacking their enemy where the enemy's power is not concentrated. It's almost unbelievable that you continue to make yourself out to be somehow expert on this topic, when you clearly are so out of touch.
0 Replies

Chicken Little

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 06:41 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Thank you for speaking up for TRUTH! This Policy President is very foriegn to me!
wmwcjr

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 06:51 am
@Chicken Little,
Welcome back, Chicken Little! Very Happy I missed you. I wanted to see more of your online offerings. Stay awhile for a change. Smile
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 07:39 am
@Chicken Little,
Chicken Little wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

Thank you for speaking up for TRUTH! This Policy President is very foriegn to me!

So he's not inept Foriegn[sic] then. He's been very capable at being foriegn[sic].
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 08:46 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

the Palestinian Israel conflict

How is this Obama's problem?

hawkeye10 wrote:
egypt

What should Obama be doing differently?

hawkeye10 wrote:
spreading democracy in Libya...the failure of which has further destabilized africa and now syria with weapons

Gaddafi's regime fell because Libyans toppled it. The US and NATO helped to nudge it, but that's about all. Otherwise, the situation would have simply devolved into another long-term, Syria-style civil war. Considering that you also blame Obama for what's going on in Syria, it's strange that you blame Obama for not allowing a similar crisis to develop in Libya.

hawkeye10 wrote:
influencing China
influencing Russia
influencing Europe

These don't mean anything.

hawkeye10 wrote:
stabilizing Iraq

How? By sending in more troops?

hawkeye10 wrote:
doing anything positive with Afghanistan

That's a situation that was handed to him. And considering that he's doing the most positive thing possible by drawing down troops in anticipation of leaving the country entirely next year, I'm not sure what you would have him do differently.

hawkeye10 wrote:
drawing North Korea toward civility

How?

hawkeye10 wrote:
salvaging the wrecked global economic system

Obama can only save the global economy by saving the American economy, and, despite Republican intransigence and some misguided policies of his own, he has managed to do a decent job of that.

hawkeye10 wrote:
dealing with ocean pirates

Piracy is down. What's the problem?

hawkeye10 wrote:
drawing India towards being a modern state

How is that the US's concern?

hawkeye10 wrote:
stopping the slide of Pakinstan towards the Taliban

Pakistan is close to being a failed state. But it's a near-failed state with nukes, so there's not much room for the US to maneuver, and I'm not sure what Obama should be doing differently in that regard. Any suggestions?

hawkeye10 wrote:
making Somalia into a functioning state

What would you have him do? Send in troops? Clinton tried that, and you claim that he was almost as bad as Obama.

hawkeye10 wrote:
stopping Mali from becoming a failed state

You seem to think that Obama was elected emperor of the world instead of president of the United States. Obama stepped aside and let the French do most of the heavy lifting in Mali. That was the right call.

hawkeye10 wrote:
stopping Iran from any of their goals

Actually, Obama has done a fairly good job of containing Iran, as far as it has been possible to do. The only areas where Iran has made significant inroads - Iraq and Syria - are the legacies of the disastrous Bush foreign policy in the region. Obama was left to pick up the pieces.

hawkeye10 wrote:
stopping Lebanon from once again being a failed state

Again, how is that the US's job?

hawkeye10 wrote:
improving the lives of the palistinians

The Palestinian problem could be solved overnight if the two main parties - Palestine and Israel - would negotiate in good faith. Neither side has shown much willingness to do that, especially Israel, which can always depend on the US to tolerate its bad behavior while suffering few if any negative consequences. That, to be sure, is chargeable to Obama, but he's no worse than all of his predecessors who followed the exact same policy. Obama, in other words, isn't historically inept with regard to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, just typically inept.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 08:47 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
Many, including myself, view D'Souza as a sort of a heavyweight, basically in the same sort of league as Mencken...

I weep for America.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 08:54 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
I think the NSA fiasco is a foreign policy debacle.

It's not - at least not yet. At most, it has damaged our relations with Bolivia, and those relations weren't really that good anyway. After some initial semi-outrage, Europe has pretty much cooled down after their own governments were implicated in similar domestic spying schemes. The NSA leaks have been a PR disaster, but US foreign policy hasn't taken much of a hit.

engineer wrote:
The repeated and increased use of drones will probably be considered in a negative light.

That may be true in the long run, for a variety of reasons.

engineer wrote:
The Russian relationship clearly has problems. I'm not sure what I would have done differently, but that doesn't mean that Obama shouldn't be dinged for it.

Russia, right now, is about on the same level as Venezuela. It's economy is relatively small, it wields little economic leverage against the US, and it's military is an insignificant factor in world politics. As much as it would be nice to have better relations with Russia, it's not really a big deal any more.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 09:00 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
What sat you? Is Obama the worst in over 35 years??

No. He's the worst in 5 years.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 09:06 am
@hawkeye10,
Joefromchicago has done a very competent job addressing your to-do list item by item. What puzzles me is how items like these keep getting on lists like yours. Like many Americans, you appear to assume that the United States is in charge of the rest of the world.

But it isn't. America is in charge of America, just as China is in charge of China, Russia is in charge of Russia, Europe is in charge of Europe, Iraq is in charge of Iraq, and so on. So if all these places keep doing what they want rather than what America wants, that is just the way the world works. It isn't a personal failure of the US president.

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 09:48 am
@Thomas,
most of the stuff on my list is in the best interest of all humans on Earth. We have a self interest in looking out for the best interest of civilization as well as a moral obligation to be proponents of the good life for all.
Thomas

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 09:54 am
@hawkeye10,
It's not about whether America should be in charge of modernizing India, making Russia less homophobic, have China float the Yuan against the Dollar, or whatever it is you want America to be in charge of. My point speaks to whether America is in charge --- and it's not.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 10:08 am
@Thomas,
who ever said america was in charge? America has a moral obligation as well as a self interest in bullying (sorry encouraging) other players to step up and look after civilization.

edit: so when the chinese say that "human rights" are not a chinese value and thus should be resisted by the governments foreign policy your response is "what ever"....right? do you also when you see a woman being raped walk on by thinking " not my problem"? just how far does your disengagement from humanity go?
JTT

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 11:45 am
@hawkeye10,
They've all done their level best to be the top war criminal/terrorist, Hawk.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 09:18 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
A better approach would have been to simply tell the world the truth i.e. that we'd been attacked by a religion, incinerate Mecca and Medina, proclaim a planetary ban on the practice of I-slam, and inform the world that any mosque or madrassa which didn't have a Christian cross over it 24 hours hence, would be bombed.

Wow.
they woulda loved you during the crusades...

The Crusades were a just war of self defense against Islamic aggression.

(Fourth Crusade excepted of course.)
oralloy

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 09:21 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
The Palestinian problem could be solved overnight if the two main parties - Palestine and Israel - would negotiate in good faith. Neither side has shown much willingness to do that, especially Israel, which can always depend on the US to tolerate its bad behavior while suffering few if any negative consequences.

Israel has always negotiated in good faith. Though there is a good argument that they should stop bothering, as the only thing they ever seem to get for their trouble is people falsely accusing them of not having done so. These current negotiations are likely the Palestinians' last chance.

Israel also has not behaved badly in any way. All they do is defend themselves against people who refuse to make peace with them.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 09:24 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
most of the stuff on my list is in the best interest of all humans on Earth. We have a self interest in looking out for the best interest of civilization as well as a moral obligation to be proponents of the good life for all.

I hate to be so blunt, Hawk, but how can you be so stupid? The US has never ever looked out for the best interests of civilization.

It's amazing how you can mouth this bullshit. The US has only raped and pillaged since its inception. Follow the historical record and point out where your nonsense has any merit.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 09:25 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
Like many Americans, you appear to assume that the United States is in charge of the rest of the world.
But it isn't. America is in charge of America, just as China is in charge of China, Russia is in charge of Russia, Europe is in charge of Europe, Iraq is in charge of Iraq, and so on. So if all these places keep doing what they want rather than what America wants, that is just the way the world works.

That isn't quite right. When other countries do things that we object to, we have the right to destroy those countries if we feel like it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 09:26 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
It's not about whether America should be in charge of modernizing India, making Russia less homophobic, have China float the Yuan against the Dollar, or whatever it is you want America to be in charge of. My point speaks to whether America is in charge --- and it's not.

The Chinese economy has a huge real estate bubble now because of of US currency policy.

When the bubble finally pops, they might want to think back on whether tying their currency to ours was their best move.
0 Replies