I am a Buddhist and if anyone wants to question my beliefs then they are welcome to do so...

joefromchicago

Sat 21 Jun, 2014 09:06 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

That seemed implausible, so I checked the all-knowing Wikipedia. But it turns out to agree with you and disagree with me. I stand corrected, and am now inclined to agree with Joe that Buddhism is not a religion.

Yes, come over to the dark side!
joefromchicago

Sat 21 Jun, 2014 09:12 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

I still don't see why some people can't use it as a religion and others as a practical philosophy. I still see the question as a false dilemma.

Because you laid it out yourself.

Quote:
In cases in which the two options are, in fact, the only two options, this line of reasoning is not fallacious. For example:

Bill is dead or he is alive.
Bill is not dead.
Therefore Bill is alive.

"Religion" is a category like "alive." Either something is in the category or it's outside the category. Thus, this is not an example of a false dilemma (instead, it's an example of the law of non-contradiction). That, by the way, is not a function of how the world works but of how categories work.

But let me approach this in a different fashion. Can someone be both a Buddhist and a Christian?
Thomas

Sat 21 Jun, 2014 11:04 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Thomas wrote:

That seemed implausible, so I checked the all-knowing Wikipedia. But it turns out to agree with you and disagree with me. I stand corrected, and am now inclined to agree with Joe that Buddhism is not a religion.

Yes, come over to the dark side!

I am your father!
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sat 21 Jun, 2014 01:25 pm
Quote:
Romeo proclaimed: A dictionary definition of Religion is-
the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
but as far as I know Buddhism doesn't believe in any gods?
Frank Apisa huffed: That is a definition of religion.
Are you saying it is the only one...or are you just pretending it is so you can make an invalid point?
Since you just looked it up...why not list any other definitions you see. Or would that be asking you to be too honest?

Sorry mate you've lost me again, i've told you before that we holy men don't play your philosophical word games or dance around your never-ending maypole, no wonder atheist philosopher Freddy Nietzsche went nutty with all that empty meaningless airy-fairy prancing..Smile

"If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes back into you"- Friedrich Nietzsche

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/maypole_dance_zps54dad585.jpg~original
0 Replies

FBM

Sat 21 Jun, 2014 05:20 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

FBM wrote:

I still don't see why some people can't use it as a religion and others as a practical philosophy. I still see the question as a false dilemma.

Because you laid it out yourself.

Quote:
In cases in which the two options are, in fact, the only two options, this line of reasoning is not fallacious. For example:

Bill is dead or he is alive.
Bill is not dead.
Therefore Bill is alive.

"Religion" is a category like "alive." Either something is in the category or it's outside the category. Thus, this is not an example of a false dilemma (instead, it's an example of the law of non-contradiction). That, by the way, is not a function of how the world works but of how categories work.

And the human mind is forced to make new categories when experience tells them that old dichotomies just don't work. Are viruses alive? Their properties overlap both categories simultaneously. An inflexible mind isn't as capable of dealing with the world as a flexible one, seems. A new category of venemous mammals had to be created in order to accomodate the features of the platypus and a very few others as they were discovered. That's the thing with categories: they're not conserved as are matter and energy. You can make as many as you need to describe empirical data.

Quote:
But let me approach this in a different fashion. Can someone be both a Buddhist and a Christian?

Yep. Here's one: http://www.buddhistgeeks.com/2010/08/christian-buddhism/

And it looked like it would be pretty easy to Google up a bunch more.
JLNobody

Sat 21 Jun, 2014 07:22 pm
@joefromchicago,
I would not hesitate to hire you to represent my interests in court, but I would not likely come to you for advice or inspiration regarding issues philosophical.
I wonder how I gave the appearance of wanting to straddle the fence regarding the categorical status of Buddhism. I don't care at all. I'm glad it is not similar to any fundamentalist Christian sect, but I don't mind that it has qualities similar to religious properties of Hinduism. I'm sorry to have caused you anxiety regarding (my view of) your tendency toward black and white over-simplification of experience.
FBM

Sat 21 Jun, 2014 09:41 pm
Well, nobody's infallible, I think. Einstein would never accept Quantum Mechanics, no matter how much it held up to experiments.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Sun 22 Jun, 2014 05:12 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
And the human mind is forced to make new categories when experience tells them that old dichotomies just don't work. Are viruses alive? Their properties overlap both categories simultaneously. An inflexible mind isn't as capable of dealing with the world as a flexible one, seems. A new category of venemous mammals had to be created in order to accomodate the features of the platypus and a very few others as they were discovered. That's the thing with categories: they're not conserved as are matter and energy. You can make as many as you need to describe empirical data.

Yet all categories share one common characteristic: something is either a member of the category or it isn't.

FBM wrote:
Quote:

Yep. Here's one: http://www.buddhistgeeks.com/2010/08/christian-buddhism/

Well, if I needed any more convincing, I'm convinced. Buddhism can't possibly be a religion if one can be both a Buddhist and a Christian. After all, one cannot be both a Christian and a Muslim, or a Hindu and a Zoroastrian - at least not in any kind of coherent manner. That's the way religions work, and if Buddhism doesn't work that way, it's not a religion. QED.

FBM wrote:
And it looked like it would be pretty easy to Google up a bunch more.

I think you misapprehend the nature of this thread. It isn't titled "I am a Buddhist and if anyone wants to question my beliefs they can Google it themselves." If you're not willing to answer questions based on your own knowledge and beliefs, then you can sit in the corner with Krumple and be quiet.
joefromchicago

Sun 22 Jun, 2014 05:15 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

I would not hesitate to hire you to represent my interests in court, but I would not likely come to you for advice or inspiration regarding issues philosophical.

That's where we differ - I wouldn't want you to do either.

JLNobody wrote:
I wonder how I gave the appearance of wanting to straddle the fence regarding the categorical status of Buddhism.

Read your posts. That might give you a clue.

JLNobody wrote:
I don't care at all. I'm glad it is not similar to any fundamentalist Christian sect, but I don't mind that it has qualities similar to religious properties of Hinduism. I'm sorry to have caused you anxiety regarding (my view of) your tendency toward black and white over-simplification of experience.

Your posts have never caused me the slightest hint of anxiety.
0 Replies

FBM

Sun 22 Jun, 2014 06:14 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

I think you misapprehend the nature of this thread. It isn't titled "I am a Buddhist and if anyone wants to question my beliefs they can Google it themselves." If you're not willing to answer questions based on your own knowledge and beliefs, then you can sit in the corner with Krumple and be quiet.

Right. The last thing a rational discussion needs is supportive, third-party evidence and scholarship. All we need is stubborness, narrow-mindedness and the ability to insult our interlocutor more creatively and vigorously than s/he can us. Good luck with your line of "reasoning," Joe.
0 Replies

Razzleg

Mon 23 Jun, 2014 12:55 am
@Frank Apisa,
i don't have a serious dog in this fight (although i think the current fight is largely pointless and ideological...) However, i do need to respond to this:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Unless you can say without question you are not deluding yourself when "meditating"...AND YOU CANNOT LOGICALLY SAY WITHOUT QUESTION YOU ARE NOT DELUDING YOURSELF WHEN "MEDITATING"..."a product of meditation" is nothing more than a belief, JL.

That's just the way it is.

"Belief" (pretending a guess about REALITY is something more than a guess)...is the cinder in the eye. Finally coming to grips with the believe/belief problem will do more for you than Buddhism.

If you said this about TM or some other meditation methods, i'd agree with you. But you misunderstand Buddhist meditation if you think the meditation "process" produces either beliefs, guesses, standards, or "results".

The only "product" of Buddhist meditation, properly pulled off, is the, sometimes vague, memory of experiencing it.

JLNobody wrote:

Rolling Eyes I think that Buddhism can have characteristics of "a religion" and characteristics of a philosophy and a psychology, depending on how we construct those categories. I don't think it matters in practice. As Frank might say it simply is what it is and does what it does.

Idea The world is fuzzy. Rolling Eyes

No, and here's a twist, practical considerations are exactly how Buddhism is to be regarded...as anything...
Frank Apisa

Mon 23 Jun, 2014 03:20 am
@Razzleg,
Razzleg wrote:

i don't have a serious dog in this fight (although i think the current fight is largely pointless and ideological...) However, i do need to respond to this:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Unless you can say without question you are not deluding yourself when "meditating"...AND YOU CANNOT LOGICALLY SAY WITHOUT QUESTION YOU ARE NOT DELUDING YOURSELF WHEN "MEDITATING"..."a product of meditation" is nothing more than a belief, JL.

"Belief" (pretending a guess about REALITY is something more than a guess)...is the cinder in the eye. Finally coming to grips with the believe/belief problem will do more for you than Buddhism.

If you said this about TM or some other meditation methods, i'd agree with you. But you misunderstand Buddhist meditation if you think the meditation "process" produces either beliefs, guesses, standards, or "results".

The only "product" of Buddhist meditation, properly pulled off, is the, sometimes vague, memory of experiencing it.

I did NOT say the meditation "process" produces beliefs or guesses. I have no idea of whether it does or doesn't.

Read what I said again...and I stand by it.

"Unless you can say without question you are not deluding yourself when "meditating"...AND YOU CANNOT LOGICALLY SAY WITHOUT QUESTION YOU ARE NOT DELUDING YOURSELF WHEN "MEDITATING"..."a product of meditation" (JL's words) is nothing more than a belief, JL."
JLNobody

Mon 23 Jun, 2014 10:45 am
@Frank Apisa,
I cannot talk with Frank about meditation since he does not do it, and from my view of his cognitive style he has never done it. I will say, however, that in my experience with buddhist meditation (since around 1960) it has no content. If I have come away with anything it is a generalized attitude that everything is fine just as it is and that it is me, something that seems to me to be much more than a belief.
Frank Apisa

Mon 23 Jun, 2014 11:25 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

I cannot talk with Frank about meditation since he does not do it, and from my view of his cognitive style he has never done it. I will say, however, that in my experience with buddhist meditation (since around 1960) it has no content. If I have come away with anything it is a generalized attitude that everything is fine just as it is and that it is me, something that seems to me to be much more than a belief.

JL, you have been arguing that “experience” (which you assert is gained through meditation) is “what matters.”

Quote:
“In these "mystical" forms of religion experience (a product of meditation) rather than doctrinal belief (a product of scholarship) is what matters.”

http://able2know.org/topic/220485-61#post-5696155

I have merely pointed out that unless you can say without question you are not deluding yourself when "meditating"…you cannot logically say that the “experience” you supposedly obtain through meditation…is experience. It MAY be delusion. Saying “it is experience” IS A BELIEF.

There is nothing difficult about that, JL…and I do not have to do any meditating in order for that to be a valid observation.

You do NOT know if you are being deluded during meditation. What you perceive to be “experience” may be nothing more than delusion. Any assertion that it is “experience”…is nothing more than belief (guesses.)

JLNobody

Mon 23 Jun, 2014 12:16 pm
@Frank Apisa,
As far as I can tell my reference to the experience of meditation is description rather than belief in the usual sense of the term. What I said is that I gain an attitude. My use of "experience" is merely a description of the phenomenon of mediation: watching the proocess of existence, not analyzing or even interpreting it. The subsequent peaceful /accepting attitude is part of its benefit, not a doctrinal belief as you seem to insist. If it were a belief I would be able to share it with you, but as a generalized attitude (mood?) it is ineffable and therefore I can only recommend meditation as a means to accessing this highly hygenic and nutritous mood.
Frank Apisa

Mon 23 Jun, 2014 12:43 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

As far as I can tell my reference to the experience of meditation is description rather than belief in the usual sense of the term. What I said is that I gain an attitude. My use of "experience" is merely a description of the phenomenon of mediation: watching the proocess of existence, not analyzing or even interpreting it. The subsequent peaceful /accepting attitude is part of its benefit, not a doctrinal belief as you seem to insist. If it were a belief I would be able to share it with you, but as a generalized attitude (mood?) it is ineffable and therefore I can only recommend meditation as a means to accessing this highly hygenic and nutritous mood.

Whatever floats your boat, JL.

Obviously, you see that "belief" truly is nothing more than guesswork wearing a disguise...and rightly, you want to avoid both the guesswork...and the acknowledgement that it is guesswork.

You want your guesswork...your beliefs...to be special...something experienced rather than "doctrinal."

So like I said...whatever floats your boat.

My opinion is that anyone buying into the "this is actually experience...and one cannot understand it without experienced it"...is buying smoke. Said another way: It MAY BE nothing more than delusion...and the rest of us cannot understand it until we allow ourselves to be deluded also.

It reminds me of that guy in the tread who insists he knows a way to regularly beat a roulette wheel...but he cannot share it because the information is too valuable. But he assures us that he is playing roulette all day long...every day...and making a very nice living from it.

Snake oil is valuable to people who like snake oil...and to people who sell it.

Buddhism is a religion, JL...and it has beliefs just as do all the others.

I hope all religious people find comfort in their "beliefs."

JLNobody

Mon 23 Jun, 2014 01:31 pm
@Frank Apisa,
O.K.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Mon 23 Jun, 2014 01:32 pm
@Frank Apisa,
O.K., have it your way.
0 Replies

Razzleg

Mon 23 Jun, 2014 10:23 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Razzleg wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

I did NOT say the meditation "process" produces beliefs or guesses. I have no idea of whether it does or doesn't.

"Unless you can say without question you are not deluding yourself when "meditating"...AND YOU CANNOT LOGICALLY SAY WITHOUT QUESTION YOU ARE NOT DELUDING YOURSELF WHEN "MEDITATING"..."a product of meditation" (JL's words) is nothing more than a belief, JL."

Haha...man, Frank, sometimes you make me miss kennethamy.

Let me ask for clarification on the point you are making. Are you saying that a person who meditates, when speaking about the "product" of meditation, doesn't make a guess about reality, but is only pretending to make a guess about reality as an extension of an "act" or "state" or "experience" they are pretending to have?

That seems to be what you are saying, but i'm sure that i'm misinterpreting you. If i'm not entirely wrong, how do you support your "argument"?
Frank Apisa

Tue 24 Jun, 2014 03:48 am
@Razzleg,
Razzleg wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Razzleg wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

JL is saying that "experience is gained through meditation."

It MAY NOT be.

All of the so-called "experience" gained while meditating MAY BE an illusion.

(Some people think they gain insights into REALITY while stoned on pot. It MAY BE a total illusion.)

The notion that the "experience" is gained...IS PURELY A GUESS.

Haha...man, Frank, sometimes you make me miss kennethamy.

Let me ask for clarification on the point you are making. Are you saying that a person who meditates, when speaking about the "product" of meditation, doesn't make a guess about reality, but is only pretending to make a guess about reality as an extension of an "act" or "state" or "experience" they are pretending to have?

That seems to be what you are saying, but i'm sure that i'm misinterpreting you. If i'm not entirely wrong, how do you support your "argument"?

Not sure what your problem is here, Razz, but if you will read my post at

http://able2know.org/topic/220485-64#post-5698625

I explain exactly what I mean.