I am a Buddhist and if anyone wants to question my beliefs then they are welcome to do so...

JLNobody

Tue 24 Jun, 2014 09:02 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank says that I said that "experience is gained through meditation." Those may be my words, but they are not my meaning, i.e., I do not distinguish between meditation and an "enlightenment" result or product of meditation. In fact meditation IS enlightment. One would have to study Dogen, the founder of Soto Zen for an intellectual exigesis of this perspective in which the means-ends division is transcended. Sorry for my ambiguity. Maybe the right words will come to me later.
Frank Apisa

Tue 24 Jun, 2014 09:28 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Frank says that I said that "experience is gained through meditation." Those may be my words, but they are not my meaning, i.e., I do not distinguish between meditation and an "enlightenment" result or product of meditation. In fact meditation IS enlightment.

Okay...but I still do not see a significant difference in what you say you were trying to say...and what you actually said.

You are saying that meditation IS ENLIGHTENMENT.

I am still saying that the entire of the experience MAY BE A DELUSION.

Unless you can show that it IS NOT possible that it is a delusion...

...then anything derived from it IS BELIEF.

It is a guess that meditation results in some sort of enlightenment. It may only result in delusion.

Quote:
One would have to study Dogen, the founder of Soto Zen for an intellectual exigesis of this perspective in which the means-ends division is transcended.

The "transcendence" MAY BE AN ILLUSION.

I don't know how else to say that.

I am NOT saying it is an illusion (or delusion)...but I am saying that it MAY BE.

Without certainty that is CANNOT POSSIBLY BE an illusion or delusion...

...we are left with uncertainty...

...which you are resolving by guessing that "Dogen, the founder of Soto Zen"...and the guesses that come from that source...

...CANNOT POSSIBLY BE an illusion or delusion.

Quote:

Sorry for my ambiguity. Maybe the right words will come to me later.

No problem. I hope at some point the argument I am making hits home, JL.
JLNobody

Tue 24 Jun, 2014 02:03 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Something DID hit home, but I don't want to tell you what it is. It's just my belief and possibly this whole thing is an illusion.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Tue 24 Jun, 2014 04:06 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
It is a guess that meditation results in some sort of enlightenment. It may only result in delusion.

If you had a problem, meditated on it, and then saw clearly the solution, your meditation resulted in some sort of enlightenment. Now, if the answer turned out to be the right one, and the problem was solved, it's pretty safe to say that it didn't result in delusion. At least not that time.

Actually, to my mind, Frank, your skepticism makes for good buddhism.
Frank Apisa

Tue 24 Jun, 2014 04:26 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Quote:

If you had a problem, meditated on it, and then saw clearly the solution, your meditation resulted in some sort of enlightenment. Now, if the answer turned out to be the right one, and the problem was solved, it's pretty safe to say that it didn't result in delusion. At least not that time.

Actually, to my mind, Frank, your skepticism makes for good buddhism.

Lemme take that last part first, Cyracuz. I take it as a compliment...and I assume it was meant as one.

I happen to think that skepticism in the "What is REALITY" arena is almost always a "good thing."

Now, I'd like to take a closer look at the first part of your post.

Quote:
If you had a problem, meditated on it, and then saw clearly the solution, your meditation resulted in some sort of enlightenment.

Not necessarily so. The "solution" may or may not be the result of meditation. There are people who give a similar scenario which goes something like, "If you have a problem...pray about it...and then see the problem resolve itself...you can be sure that prayer was the instrument of resolution.

I think it presumptuous to suggest that "meditation" or "prayer" be treated as those two scenarios dictate.

Quote:
Now, if the answer turned out to be the right one, and the problem was solved, it's pretty safe to say that it didn't result in delusion. At least not that time.

Would you think it logical to assign that same degree of confidence to a theist praying for someone to survive an accident or illness...if the person for whom prayers were offered survived?

I think not.

But...once again I thank you for the comment about my skepticism and Buddhism.
Razzleg

Tue 24 Jun, 2014 11:43 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Sheesh, Frank, you have the most long winded was of saying, "but what if it doesn't". Let's face it, that's the summation of your entire approach -- you're too afraid to commit to anything else.

Frank Apisa wrote:

Razzleg wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Razzleg wrote:

i don't have a serious dog in this fight (although i think the current fight is largely pointless and ideological...) However, i do need to respond to this:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Unless you can say without question you are not deluding yourself when "meditating"...AND YOU CANNOT LOGICALLY SAY WITHOUT QUESTION YOU ARE NOT DELUDING YOURSELF WHEN "MEDITATING"..."a product of meditation" is nothing more than a belief, JL.

That's just the way it is.

JL is saying that "experience is gained through meditation."

It MAY NOT be.

All of the so-called "experience" gained while meditating MAY BE an illusion.

(Some people think they gain insights into REALITY while stoned on pot. It MAY BE a total illusion.)

The notion that the "experience" is gained...IS PURELY A GUESS.

"Belief" (pretending a guess about REALITY is something more than a guess)...is the cinder in the eye. Finally coming to grips with the believe/belief problem will do more for you than Buddhism.

If you said this about TM or some other meditation methods, i'd agree with you. But you misunderstand Buddhist meditation if you think the meditation "process" produces either beliefs, guesses, standards, or "results".

The only "product" of Buddhist meditation, properly pulled off, is the, sometimes vague, memory of experiencing it.

I did NOT say the meditation "process" produces beliefs or guesses. I have no idea of whether it does or doesn't.

Read what I said again...and I stand by it.

"Unless you can say without question you are not deluding yourself when "meditating"...AND YOU CANNOT LOGICALLY SAY WITHOUT QUESTION YOU ARE NOT DELUDING YOURSELF WHEN "MEDITATING"..."a product of meditation" (JL's words) is nothing more than a belief, JL."

Haha...man, Frank, sometimes you make me miss kennethamy.

Let me ask for clarification on the point you are making. Are you saying that a person who meditates, when speaking about the "product" of meditation, doesn't make a guess about reality, but is only pretending to make a guess about reality as an extension of an "act" or "state" or "experience" they are pretending to have?

That seems to be what you are saying, but i'm sure that i'm misinterpreting you. If i'm not entirely wrong, how do you support your "argument"?

Not sure what your problem is here, Razz, but if you will read my post at

http://able2know.org/topic/220485-64#post-5698625

I explain exactly what I mean.

Here's the quote you pointed me towards:

Frank Apisa wrote:

JL, you have been arguing that “experience” (which you assert is gained through meditation) is “what matters.”

I have merely pointed out that unless you can say without question you are not deluding yourself when "meditating"…you cannot logically say that the “experience” you supposedly obtain through meditation…is experience. It MAY be delusion. Saying “it is experience” IS A BELIEF.

There is nothing difficult about that, JL…and I do not have to do any meditating in order for that to be a valid observation.

You do NOT know if you are being deluded during meditation. What you perceive to be “experience” may be nothing more than delusion. Any assertion that it is “experience”…is nothing more than belief (guesses.)

One thing you seem to be positing is that there is a difference between "delusion" and "experience". Are you stating that "delusions" are not experienced? You are saying that one does not experience one's delusions? If experience is conditional based on a person's state of mind, by what warrant would we "certify" any experience? When and how does something the subject thinks they experience actually count as "an experience"? i'd be interested, if you have an explanation, since without one your argument pretty much falls apart.

But to follow up, if all of our particular states of mind cannot "experience", but we are not sure which are which, then any or all of them could just be delusions/beliefs. Without a warrant, we must regard all of them as potential states of "belief". If any or all of our experiences are just beliefs, then your skeptical gambit is pretty moot. Welcome to Descartes' frikkin' "theater of the mind", you evil genius, you.

But wait, let me take a step back:

Frank Apisa wrote:

You are saying that meditation IS ENLIGHTENMENT.

I am still saying that the entire of the experience MAY BE A DELUSION.

Although you, as the "challenging accuser", cannot show that meditation is in any way a delusion, you require JLN to show that it is not a delusion before you will not presume, it is in fact, a delusion. You insist it "may" be,that is, it is possible, (but without providing any evidence to the contrary or reason to question it [which would be difficult without any standards of evidence]), that it is, a delusion. It might be a delusion, and so ANYTHING derived therefrom is absolutely an unfounded, absurd belief!

Man, i hope you're not a lawyer or doctor...

Frank Apisa wrote:

The "transcendence" MAY BE AN ILLUSION.

I don't know how else to say that.

I am NOT saying it is an illusion (or delusion)...but I am saying that it MAY BE.

Without certainty that it CANNOT POSSIBLY BE an illusion or delusion...

...we are left with uncertainty...

...which you are resolving by guessing that "Dogen, the founder of Soto Zen"...and the guesses that come from that source...

...CANNOT POSSIBLY BE an illusion or delusion.

Cyracuz was being extremely generous to you in his comparison of your skepticism and Buddhism. There is a lot of ambiguity in Buddhism, there is no ambiguity in your skepticism...

Please, Frank, prove to me that your skepticism is not delusional. i'm not saying that it is, but it may be. There is nothing in your skeptical stance, as heretofor presented, that convinces me of, or communicates anything about, the contrary; i don't know that REALITY is at all touched by the denial of any and/or every possiblity. Some things may be true, but your skepticism is incapable of identifying which are, which can be , which may be, and which aren't, which cannot be, and which may not be. What does your skepticism do? What do you believe your skepticism does?
Frank Apisa

Wed 25 Jun, 2014 09:46 am
@Razzleg,
Razzleg wrote:

Sheesh, Frank, you have the most long winded was of saying, "but what if it doesn't". Let's face it, that's the summation of your entire approach -- you're too afraid to commit to anything else.

Considering the fact that I am in this forum posting under my real name...while you are using a silly alias like Razzleg, I think it is presumptuous of you to talk to me about being afraid.

Quote:
Cyracuz was being extremely generous to you in his comparison of your skepticism and Buddhism. There is a lot of ambiguity in Buddhism, there is no ambiguity in your skepticism...

My skepticism is actually an acknowledgement that I do not know the answers to many questions.

Not sure how I can incorporate any ambiguity into that, because if I did, I would essentially be saying something along the lines of, "I do not know that I do not know. It is only a guess."

Now, I am not saying that cannot be...but can you give me some reason why there is an appreciable difference between "I do not know" and "I may know, but I do not know that I know."

Either way...the answers are not available to me.

What are you getting at Razz? What is your problem?

Quote:
Please, Frank, prove to me that your skepticism is not delusional. i'm not saying that it is, but it may be.

See above. My skepticism (I do not know) may be delusional, but how does that change things? If I actually do know (but am deluded into thinking that I do not know)...nothing changes. If I were, for instance, to practice meditation...and suddenly become EVOLVED...how would I know I am not deluding myself thinking that I have become evolved? If I were to "search for Jesus"...and "found him"...how would I know I am not deluding myself.

Razz, you seem to be on a mission that consists of "Somehow, you are wrong, Frank." NO matter what it takes.

Why?

Quote:
There is nothing in your skeptical stance, as heretofor presented, that convinces me of, or communicates anything about, the contrary; i don't know that REALITY is at all touched by the denial of any and/or every possiblity. Some things may be true, but your skepticism is incapable of identifying which are, which can be , which may be, and which aren't, which cannot be, and which may not be. What does your skepticism do? [/b]

Not sure I understand what you are going on about here, Razz...but my skepticism (acknowledging that I do not know the stuff I do not know)...allows me to be truthful.

I do not know the stuff I do not know.

Quote:
What do you believe your skepticism does?

I do not do "believing." I know my "skepticism" allows me to be truthful.
JLNobody

Wed 25 Jun, 2014 07:31 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, you and I share extreme forms of SCEPTICISM, but they are fundamentally different. Your scepticism rests on our inability to achieve absolute proof for metaphysical beliefs which can be no more than guesses. My scepticism reflects the view that we see/know the world in terms of our biological-neurological nature as it is by cultural-linguistic interpretations which can be no more than constructions..
Frank Apisa

Thu 26 Jun, 2014 04:49 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Frank, you and I share extreme forms of SCEPTICISM, but they are fundamentally different. Your scepticism rests on our inability to achieve absolute proof for metaphysical beliefs which can be no more than guesses.

Could be. But I prefer to think that my skepticism merely is me telling the truth about what I know and do not know. When I do not know something...I say I do not know. Sometimes I guess...and when I do...I mention that I am guessing.

The issue that often prompts me to comment arises when someone guesses about something...and tries to disguise that it is a guess...most often by calling it a "belief."

Even in this paragraph, JL...you referred to "metaphysical beliefs"...which you later identified as guesses. Why not save the extra work...and refer to "metaphysical guesses?"

Quote:
My scepticism reflects the view that we see/know the world in terms of our biological-neurological nature as it is by cultural-linguistic interpretations which can be no more than constructions..

Okay...if you say so. But I would suggest that your comment here would make more sense without that word "know" in it.

0 Replies

Cyracuz

Thu 26 Jun, 2014 02:41 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Not necessarily so. The "solution" may or may not be the result of meditation. There are people who give a similar scenario which goes something like, "If you have a problem...pray about it...and then see the problem resolve itself...you can be sure that prayer was the instrument of resolution.

I think it presumptuous to suggest that "meditation" or "prayer" be treated as those two scenarios dictate.

I understand. I see it slightly different. I think that prayer, meditation, thinking and so on... whatever you want to call it, isn't presumptuous in themselves. The assigning of supernatural or divine participation in these processes though... that is presumptuous.

I do not see meditation as something that includes anything but the human resources a person has at his disposal. Most people take it in stride that it is possible to learn mental techniques to improve memory or to combat bad habits. Meditation is similar to that, as I understand it. It's a mental exercise for achieving greater clarity of thought and focus.

Quote:
Would you think it logical to assign that same degree of confidence to a theist praying for someone to survive an accident or illness...if the person for whom prayers were offered survived?

I think not.

You think right. Perhaps my clarification above, of how I understand the concept of meditation, might make clearer the meaning of the statement this quote is a reply to.

I was thinking more along the lines of trying to tackle a problem, and not coming up with any good solutions. Then after meditating on it for a while (letting the mind do the thinking without conscious interference), you might suddenly see a solution that was staring you in the face the whole time.

Similar things happen when we have words "on the tip of our tounges", and then soon after giving up on trying to remember them they pop into our heads.
Or the answer to that problem might just pop into your head in a similar way while you are doing something completely unrelated. I like to think that it is because the mind keeps processing things even after we stop consciously thinking about them. But it's sporadic and unpredictable when we are untrained. Suddenly you might discover that you've been brooding on dark thoughts that sailed up unnoticed, for instance. Meditation, as I see it, can be helpful towards gaining some mastery over this. Mindfulness, as it is often called in Buddhism, or by master Yoda.
Frank Apisa

Thu 26 Jun, 2014 03:14 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Quote:

I understand. I see it slightly different. I think that prayer, meditation, thinking and so on... whatever you want to call it, isn't presumptuous in themselves. The assigning of supernatural or divine participation in these processes though... that is presumptuous.

I do not see meditation as something that includes anything but the human resources a person has at his disposal. Most people take it in stride that it is possible to learn mental techniques to improve memory or to combat bad habits. Meditation is similar to that, as I understand it. It's a mental exercise for achieving greater clarity of thought and focus.

If it were presented as a way to achieve greater clarity of thought and focus...I would have no problem with it. I've gone through awareness expansion training myself in order to attempt an expansion of awareness and consciousness.

And honestly, I considered them to be helpful...and treated them as a success.

But there seems to be much more attributed to the mediation process...just as there is to the "praying."

JL was attributing "enlightenment" to the process...and "enlightenment" is more than those other things.

My questioning of "delusion/illusion" was directed toward the inferences of "enlightenment."

Your explanation does help me understand your position...and I thank you for it.

JLNobody

Thu 26 Jun, 2014 07:37 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, I lost a post in which I noted that by "know" I meant simple "engagement", no different from the existential connection animals and humans have with their world(s)--rather than epistemological certainty.

Also, another contrast between our perspectives: your scepticism rests on a negative assumption that we cannot know some thing; my scepticism rests on a positive realization that we are fundamentally limited in what we can know--just as the biology of an ant prohibits its ever learning our language.
Frank Apisa

Fri 27 Jun, 2014 02:54 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Frank, I lost a post in which I noted that by "know" I meant simple "engagement", no different from the existential connection animals and humans have with their world(s)--rather than epistemological certainty.

I hope you find it.

Some people claim that by "know"...they mean whatever they want it to mean.

I disregard that kind of thing. If you say you "know" there is a GOD...you either mean you know it...or you are using the wrong word(s).

Quote:
Also, another contrast between our perspectives: your scepticism rests on a negative assumption that we cannot know some thing; my scepticism rests on a positive realization that we are fundamentally limited in what we can know--just as the biology of an ant prohibits its ever learning our language.;

How would I KNOW what we can or cannot KNOW? I have no idea of why you think this...or what real difference it makes, but...I do not see it.

You seem to be floundering here, JL. Looking for something to "win an argument" rather than reasonably discussing a difference.

Gotta go to the golf course in a few minutes. I'll discuss this more later.

0 Replies

Cyracuz

Fri 27 Jun, 2014 03:24 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
JL was attributing "enlightenment" to the process...and "enlightenment" is more than those other things.

I don't really know what enlightenment is, though I have many ideas about what it might be. If it's an emotional state, which may be a crude but perhaps adequate description, then it's physical. You should be able to train yourself to attain that state, just as it is possible to calm your breathing by making the effort.
JLNobody

Fri 27 Jun, 2014 11:15 pm
@Cyracuz,
I hate to talk about "enlightenment". As I understand it it's too subtle for normal communication. We are all virtually enlightened from the beginning. Maybe I should refer to it as a default condition of proto-enligthenment. In meditation, when it happens correctly, effortlessly, unambitiously, we realize this condition. It is often called Buddha Mind. It is not something we need to strive for since we already have it. I guess we can say that we simply must get out of its way. See why I hate to talk about it?
Frank Apisa

Sat 28 Jun, 2014 04:45 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Quote:

I don't really know what enlightenment is, though I have many ideas about what it might be. If it's an emotional state, which may be a crude but perhaps adequate description, then it's physical. You should be able to train yourself to attain that state, just as it is possible to calm your breathing by making the effort.

Yes.

But attributing it to meditation presents problems...and that is where this wandering conversation began.

It certainly appears that one can calm one's self. Of that I have little doubt. But this is not about being able to calm one's self, Cyracuz...and you know that.

This conversation was about "belief"...or guessing. It has wandered mostly because the point I was making was not able logically to be contested.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sat 28 Jun, 2014 04:47 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

I hate to talk about "enlightenment". As I understand it it's too subtle for normal communication. We are all virtually enlightened from the beginning. Maybe I should refer to it as a default condition of proto-enligthenment.

You also can call it Xmpnp-yponr, if you like.

The point is not what you call it...the point is what we started this discussion about.

Quote:

In meditation, when it happens correctly, effortlessly, unambitiously, we realize this condition. It is often called Buddha Mind. It is not something we need to strive for since we already have it. I guess we can say that we simply must get out of its way. See why I hate to talk about it?

Yes, I do.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sat 28 Jun, 2014 04:49 am
Go back to this response of mine...and travel back from there:

http://able2know.org/topic/220485-65#post-5699277
FBM

Sat 28 Jun, 2014 04:52 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, please forgive me if this has been discussed already, but it would be a lot more comfortable discussing things with you if you weren't yelling (bold font and/or HUGE ALL CAPS) all the time. That sort of posting is roughly equivalent to farting in an elevator, or worse, church. Wink
Frank Apisa

Sat 28 Jun, 2014 05:06 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Frank, please forgive me if this has been discussed already, but it would be a lot more comfortable discussing things with you if you weren't yelling (bold font and/or HUGE ALL CAPS) all the time. That sort of posting is roughly equivalent to farting in an elevator, or worse, church. Wink

I have explained that I use bold to differentiate my responses from the matter to which I am responding. I do not intend it as yelling.

If you cannot make that distinction...and if my use of bold bothers you...you probably should avoid reading what I write.