I am a Buddhist and if anyone wants to question my beliefs then they are welcome to do so...

igm

Fri 16 Aug, 2013 05:20 am
Anyone can question anything that the Buddha taught and if I am able to answer I will. It will be my interpretation of those teachings and it may not be the only interpretation, therefore other Buddhists may disagree with my interpretation.

I can't comment however, on why some other Buddhists, sometimes contradict the Buddha's teachings, leading to actions that may appear to be wrong.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 35 • Views: 94,481 • Replies: 1,546
Topic Closed

edgarblythe

Fri 16 Aug, 2013 05:29 am
Is that like proselytizing?
igm

Fri 16 Aug, 2013 05:44 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Is that like proselytizing?

It is not meant to be interpreted in that way? I don't want to proselytize. If no one has any questions then I won't be saying anything about my understanding of Buddhism.

0 Replies

chai2

Fri 16 Aug, 2013 06:15 am
@igm,
igm wrote:

Anyone can question anything that the Buddha taught and if I am able to answer I will. It will be my interpretation of those teachings and it may not be the only interpretation, therefore other Buddhists may disagree with my interpretation.

I can't comment however, on why some other Buddhists, sometimes contradict the Buddha's teachings, leading to actions that may appear to be wrong.

http://www.blackberrycool.com/wp-content/uploads/jaccuse.jpg
0 Replies

timur

Fri 16 Aug, 2013 06:24 am
igm wrote:
Anyone can question anything that the Buddha taught and if I am able to answer I will.

You have already shown your inability to do so.

The rest is proselytizing..

(I'm an atheist and I don't start threads offering explanations about atheism.)
igm

Fri 16 Aug, 2013 06:57 am
@timur,
timur wrote:

igm wrote:
Anyone can question anything that the Buddha taught and if I am able to answer I will.

You have already shown your inability to do so.

The rest is proselytizing..

I disagree that asking if anyone wants to ask about Buddhism is proselytizing. If you want to give reasons why you believe this then I'd certainly consider your view but at the moment I don't believe you are correct.

0 Replies

timur

Fri 16 Aug, 2013 10:02 am
igm wrote:
I don't believe you are correct.

It doesn't matter if I'm correct or not, in your view.

You have amply demonstrated that your views of humankind are quite limited, not only in your superstitious religiosity but also on human sufferings.
maxdancona

Fri 16 Aug, 2013 10:48 am
Is the implication here that proselytizing is a bad thing?

What's wrong with proselytizing? If you think you know the truth, I should would like to hear about it.

igm

Fri 16 Aug, 2013 10:58 am
@timur,
timur wrote:

igm wrote:
I don't believe you are correct.

It doesn't matter if I'm correct or not, in your view.

You have amply demonstrated that your views of humankind are quite limited, not only in your superstitious religiosity but also on human sufferings.

I disagree and it isn't in this thread. You are entitled to your opinion but you haven't produced any evidence for your assertions... others will have to take your word for it.. I would like to see your evidence. You have posted a couple of times to me (this week on another thread) in total...ever, literally and I answered your questions and then you didn't reply... I thought you were happy with my reply.

If you're going to accuse me of something then at least show your proof.. if you wouldn't mind. Otherwise people may believe you just have no reason other than a dislike of Buddhism... which is ok with me.. I won't mind.

0 Replies

igm

Fri 16 Aug, 2013 11:03 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Is the implication here that proselytizing is a bad thing?

What's wrong with proselytizing? If you think you know the truth, I should would like to hear about it.

OK, that fine by me but Buddhists don't do that, but they will answer questions if they are asked, hence the wording of my title. Someone also said I was avoiding answering, about my beliefs in another thread... so I started this thread to show that, that isn't my intention.

maxdancona

Fri 16 Aug, 2013 11:06 am
@igm,
Quote:
OK, that fine by me but Buddhists don't do that,

That simply isn't true. I have been proselytized by Buddhists, and I agree that your post, where you are advertising the service of answering questions, is pretty close to proselytism (if it isn't actually proselytism).

Incidentally I have also been proselytized by atheists.

I don't see anything wrong with proselytism in either case. I just think is is a little sleazy to not just admit what you are doing.

igm

Fri 16 Aug, 2013 11:09 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
OK, that fine by me but Buddhists don't do that,

That simply isn't true. I have been proselytized by Buddhists, and I agree that your post, where you are advertising the service of answering questions, is pretty close to proselytism (if it isn't actually proselytism).

Well, the Buddha taught not to proselytize. If I've given you that impression then 'pretty close' is not actually doing it and I did give a reason in my last post to you i.e. someone was saying I was avoiding talking about my beliefs when questioned (in another thread about questioning beliefs).

timur

Fri 16 Aug, 2013 11:13 am
@maxdancona,
I do believe that proselytizing is awful.

If "religion is the opiate of the masses", then proselytizing is advising people to use drugs.

Do you approve crack?
maxdancona

Fri 16 Aug, 2013 12:01 pm
@timur,
If the First Amendment guaranteed the right to free crack, then I would support it.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Fri 16 Aug, 2013 12:04 pm
@igm,
Quote:
Well, the Buddha taught not to proselytize.

That doesn't mean anything, does it. Obviously Buddhists don't always follow what the Buddha taught.
maxdancona

Fri 16 Aug, 2013 12:07 pm
@timur,
To answer seriously,

1) "Religion is the opiate of the masses" is itself a religious statement.
2) I don't accept that religion is the opiate of the masses.
3) I don't have a problem with people advising other people use drugs.

I believe that free speech is the cornerstone of any free society. You can't have free speech without proselytism.

Frank Apisa

Fri 16 Aug, 2013 12:25 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:

Okay, here is my first question:

Why do you consider "the Buddha's teachings" to be important, igm?
Ticomaya

Fri 16 Aug, 2013 12:47 pm
@timur,
timur wrote:

Do you want a Brownie Button?
Ticomaya

Fri 16 Aug, 2013 12:48 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
.. I just think is is a little sleazy to not just admit what you are doing.

I think it's sleazy to accuse someone of being sleazy when they're not being sleazy.
0 Replies

timur

Fri 16 Aug, 2013 01:15 pm
@Ticomaya,
As a matter of fact, I'm way beyond social rewards.

A sweet word from people I appreciate will do the trick.
0 Replies