Washington State Oregon A2K ers

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 01:41 pm
I have finally convinced squinney to seriously consider moving to Oregon or Washington. We'd be going on a MAJOR budget and we'd have to get whatever jobs we could get at first while I worked on building my musician/dj business. Any particular recommendations? Not so sure I'm interested in eastern Washington although I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. I lean towards Washington because pot is legal and I'd like to try it for Stephen's epilepsy. I lean towards Oregon because I have relatives there and I believe cost of living in Portland or smaller towns like Salem would be more in line with Raleigh. Again, any suggestions greatly appreciated.

boomerang

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 02:40 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Hey there!

You could probably get a medical marijuana card for him in Oregon.

Portland is a pretty expensive place to live but the surrounding towns -- Beaverton, Tigard, and Gresham are more affordable.

For your music business you might think about the college towns -- Eugene and Corvallis. Both are very nice places.

Are you and Squinney back together? Did I just miss that news? That's wonderful!
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 03:32 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Hey there!

You could probably get a medical marijuana card for him in Oregon.

Portland is a pretty expensive place to live but the surrounding towns -- Beaverton, Tigard, and Gresham are more affordable.

For your music business you might think about the college towns -- Eugene and Corvallis. Both are very nice places.

Are you and Squinney back together? Did I just miss that news? That's wonderful!

over a year now

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 03:59 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Unfortunately, the only part of that country that I'm at all familiar with is eastern Washington -- the tri-cities area of Pasco, Richland and Kennewick. So I can't be much help to you. Wish you the very best, however.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 04:16 pm
@boomerang,
In Oregon, I've only been to Eugene, and that was a long time ago, but I liked it.
I remember that it wasn't a terribly long drive to either the shore or the mountains. Have flown into Portland and out again a couple of times, beautiful flight.

I have my own irritation with myself for not moving to a southern Oregon area instead of New Mexico. Not that I've researched all that, but at the point I needed to move and find a small place I could possibly afford and picked New Mexico, I lived only 80 miles south of the border so I'm sort of familiar with the climate. (I miss my ocean.) I generally like things I read about Oregon, except that even worse than northern californians dislike southern californians, a lot seem to strongly dislike californians as a group. Yawn.

I like Seattle, but the traffic is nutso, at least in some areas. I stayed overnight once in Spokane (puddle jump flight when I was going to Idaho) and walked around a few hours, liked it well enough but that was a really quick look.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 04:31 pm
I had to make numerous trips to Portland when my brother was ill: there is so much to like about the place. The vibe, the people, the urban
planning, Powell's. The college towns might seem similar to Raleigh.
BUT I don't think I could ever get use to the latitude and the rain.
Good luck to you and Squinney.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 05:12 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
the difference between eastern Washington and the coast is night and day. lotta goobers in the east. even an a2k goober.

I was sentenced to Spokane several times...

I think Oregon is a better fit for you. you would not like Washington cops and their attitude.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 05:38 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

the difference between eastern Washington and the coast is night and day. lotta goobers in the east. even an a2k goober.

I was sentenced to Spokane several times...

I think Oregon is a better fit for you. you would not like Washington cops and their attitude.

My friends in Seattle say Eastern Washington is NO place for a liberal democrat
Rockhead

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 05:41 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
they are correct, sir...

Seattle / Tacoma rocks.

the rest is beautiful country populated by maroons...
boomerang

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 06:24 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Quote:
over a year now

I'm so happy to hear that! I've always liked both of you and I was sad when you split up.

Vancouver, Washington might be a place to think about. It's just across the bridge from Portland and many people commute between the two. You get the benefit of both states.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 07:18 pm
I have a sister in Molalla, Oregon. She is a Teabagger.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 07:57 pm
there's a few everywhere.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 07:58 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Not in Texas.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 07:58 pm
There's a lot.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 08:08 pm
I live in Olympia Wa....There is a slim chance you could make a living around Pullman with the WSU and U of I students but Seattle would be better. Hella expensive though, maybe you could live in Fife/Tacoma and drive into town for gigs.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 08:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
one of my cooks is a musician from Indiana who lived in Seattle for two years...he tells me that the Seattle scene is lame for a big city and that Olympia is dead. he recomends Portland but the completion is rough.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 11:40 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
they are correct, sir...

Seattle / Tacoma rocks.

the rest is beautiful country populated by maroons...
I think you mean macaroons. Very tasty.

Blue, When you get to Hwy 99 and 220th in Edmonds, WA., PM me and I'll spring for coffee at this Starbucks:

http://starbucksmelody.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Outside-of-Store-Edmonds-Starbucks-Dec-2011-317.jpg

They may have macaroons.
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 03:01 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
I personally don't care for eastern WA. I live in the Tacoma/Puyallup area and I've been to OR many times. To me, both states are similar so which ever you choose, I don't think you can go wrong.

The places in WA that you might consider is Fife, Federal Way, Milton, Kent, South Hill, North Hill and that is all I can think of right now.

Good luck with your choice.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 08:58 am
@trying2learn,
trying2learn wrote:

I personally don't care for eastern WA. I live in the Tacoma/Puyallup area and I've been to OR many times. To me, both states are similar so which ever you choose, I don't think you can go wrong.

The places in WA that you might consider is Fife, Federal Way, Milton, Kent, South Hill, North Hill and that is all I can think of right now.

Good luck with your choice.

you're the one of the few people to tell me that. Almost without exception I've been told that Oregon is friendlier and would be more to the liking of a politically liberal and environmentally conscious person like me. In addition, Seattle, the bastion of liberalism is probably too expensive for me.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 09:02 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Washington has no sales tax...

the 'burbs she pointed out are less expensive than Seattle proper.

Everett is ok as well...