Washington State Oregon A2K ers

boomerang

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 09:13 am
@Rockhead,
Oregon has no sales tax, Washington does (6.5%).

Rockhead

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 09:23 am
@boomerang,
ooops.

been too long since I played out there.

I remember folks coming over to buy in the tax free zone to save money.

for some reason I was backwards...
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 11:29 am
@boomerang,
I have to charge 9.5% Washington sales tax. But Washington state has no income tax.
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 12:23 pm
@boomerang,
The base rate is 6.5% and then the cities and counties charge an additional tax set by the state. So the sales tax differs depending on where you buy an item throughout WA. The area I live in has a 8.8% tax but down the street a couple miles the tax is 9.4%.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 01:24 pm
So live in Vancouver Wa. and shop in Portland?
boomerang

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 01:30 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
That's what most people do.

Oregon could really use a sales tax (if it would stop the escalation of property tax) but they don't have one mostly because of back to school and Christmas shoppers flooding from neighboring states and spending wads of money.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 01:56 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

concidering that you dont intend to live off of savings you best also consider the getting of the money. since you have the ability to market yourself to the corporate class for events Seattle might be a lot better for you than portland. you could find a reasonably cheap and crime free place to live 1 hour away.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 03:09 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

blueveinedthrobber wrote:

concidering that you dont intend to live off of savings you best also consider the getting of the money. since you have the ability to market yourself to the corporate class for events Seattle might be a lot better for you than portland. you could find a reasonably cheap and crime free place to live 1 hour away.

there's more corporate class in seattle than portland?
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 03:33 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
seattle has a lot more corporate money than portland I believe...in large part because of the port I think. a lot of corporations are set up around Kent because of easy access to the port as well as distribution to Western USA.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 03:41 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Microsoft and Boeing are big employers in the Seattle area.

Portland has Nike and Intel.

Portland and Seattle are both ports.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 03:50 pm
@boomerang,
seriously? Portland has one container terminal while Seattle has four. the portland port is minor league, which is why it is used mostly for bulk commodities like grain and coal...relatively low value trade.

BTW Intell is not what it used to be, not even close. 15 or so years ago they got tax breaks to build a center here in Dupont that was to employ 4000.....they never got to even half that. Finally last year the threw in the towel and sold a lot of it off.
boomerang

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 04:03 pm
@hawkeye10,
Well yeah... but we do have a port.

Intel employes about 16,000 people in Portland and the surrounding area.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 04:21 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
Portland’s GDP per capita ($47,811) is comparable to Indianapolis ($46,450) and Milwaukee ($45,591). It trails talent hubs like San Francisco ($60,873) and Boston ($57,916), and even Seattle ($55,982) and Minneapolis ($50,797). Seattle’s metro region is only 50 percent larger than Portland but has produced fabric-of-the-economy companies such as Boeing, Microsoft and Amazon. Portland has not. Nor has Portland established itself as a go-to location for a major sector the way Silicon Valley has for high tech or Miami for Latin American trade. A recent Metro Monitor report from the Brookings Institution placed Portland’s economy in the bottom quintile of performers.

http://www.urbanophile.com/2011/06/30/replay-picture-perfect-portland/

Portland has the cool, but not the money, and for many not jobs either. The Great Recession gutted the Portland economy where as Seattle barely skipped a beat. Why not live near seattle and soak up some of that money into your bank account and then go play in Portland on long week ends? That is what we do.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 05:03 pm
I'm glad you and squinney are back together too.

0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 06:48 pm
once you go bear, you return to there Wink
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 7 May, 2014 07:53 am
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2014-05/enhanced/webdr03/6/14/original-23907-1399402701-19.jpg
http://www.buzzfeed.com/adamellis/fortune-cookies-you-actually-need-right-now?sub=3222648_2903645
0 Replies