Windows XP-it better be good

Wilso

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 09:36 am
At the end of all this, this had better be a sublime computing experience, considering all the trouble I'm going to in order to set it all up, including over 100MB of upgrade downloads-on dial up.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,219 • Replies: 55
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 09:43 am
Wilso- I went from Win 98 to XP pro a few months ago. I am happy as a clam with it. It is far more stable.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 09:49 am
Do your USB ports work? I haven't managed to get them going yet!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 09:51 am
Yup!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 12:42 am
I've also got a couple of video CD's that are all screwed up on the new media player. Don't know how I'm gonna fix that.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 01:19 am
I'm running XP Pro. I just lost a whole bunch of my home made music productions. I went to add more music to one of my songs and it was gone, along with all of the other songs I wrote and recorded. I ran system restore, but nope, everything is still. I'm blaming XP. I know they say it's not the PC's fault, it's the operater, but i'm pretty good with computers and i'd know if I messed my own stuff up. So good luck Wilso.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 01:23 am
I ordered a pizza and it came 10 minutes late, I too blame Windows XP.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 01:52 am
Re: Windows XP-it better be good
Wilso wrote:
At the end of all this, this had better be a sublime computing experience,

C'mon Wilso - there ain't no such thing! They're just machines! (although mine has the devil in it - but it runs on XP!)
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 02:44 am
Had it a couple weeks and can't complain. Specific questions seem to get answered by the geniuses around here lightning fast. My usb's didn't change (was running W2KPRO), but xp was better at recognizing when I plugged in my camera and auto loaded the pics.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 02:49 am
I had windows 2000 pro and upgraded to XP pro. I didn't care for it. I went back to 2000. That was when XP first came out. I'm holding out for the next version of winders my self.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 03:05 am
We run XP-pro, but Mrs. cav, as an IT person, still prefers 2000. Meh, I don't really know the difference, and as long as it works, it's fine by me.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 03:12 am
I use 2000 at work and I think I'd prefer it. But I don't know anyone who can give me a free copy!

I set this up as a clean install on a blank HDD. When I tried it as an upgrade from W98, it had too many issues. It just didn't look the same.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 04:51 am
Wilso - I had to get a DVD player - the XP one (MediaPlayer, is it?) wouldn't work - I got Power DVD - it works. Not sure if this helps?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 06:21 am
I'm not spending any more money. I've just decided to give up. After installing service pack 1, it won't let me scan any more updates, because it says the product key isn't valid (it is). My USB ports don't work, my CD-ROM doesn't work, and when I try to view a CD video (on the writer drive), it's all blacked out and not watchable. I'm going back to 98. Luckily I've got a drive set up and ready with that on it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 06:26 am
Some folk here might well be able to help, Wilso - especially if you change the title to reflect that you need it?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 06:32 am
I've just spent 3 days trying to get XP to work properly. I couldn't be bothered putting any more time into it at the moment. I'm already back on 98. It was just a matter of plugging the drive in.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 06:34 am
.... & having a stiff drink? Sounds like a ghastly time, Wilso.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 06:41 am
I may have a drop of scotch in the fridge. Sounds like a good idea! Good night all.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 06:42 am
Night night!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 09:22 am
Wilso, the product key may well be valid, but if its registered to another machine, it won't work on yours. I don't recall for sure, but didn't you say you got that copy of XP by, shall we say, "other than normal retail means"? That might be the core problem.
0 Replies