Windows XP-it better be good

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 11:54 am
No, that's not it timber. (Not that I know from experience....ahem!!!) CD keys will work on more then one copy of XP.....trust me...
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 11:59 am
I recall having a problem with my CD-Key too, but I can't remember if it was XP or FrontPage. I think it was printed in caps, but only worked if typed in in lower case. Might try that.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 03:54 pm
stand up for pessimism wrote:
CD keys will work on more then one copy of XP.....trust me...

Sure, 'till you go to Windows Update Mr. Green

I just had to re-register a machine due to hardware configuration changes (there had been many). Relatively simple and straight-forward, but still a pain-in-the-butt.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 04:05 pm
I'm new to XP. I feel most comfortable with 98, but this one is pretty nice. I just haven't been able to find certain things as easily. For instance, I went to defrag last night, but could not find the feature. I plan to try again in a little while.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 04:23 pm
I've been downloading updates for a couple of days with no problem. It wasn't until I put in service pack 1 that this problem arose.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 04:29 pm
There was 2 reasons I wanted XP. Because I can get the virus checker free from my employer (that's part of their license agreement) and I wanted to look at learning to program a bit, and the visual basic resource kit CD I"ve got (which was also free) needs 2000 or XP.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 05:19 pm
Just called to price a 2000 upgrade and was told I can't get it anymore! Only XP is available.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 06:00 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Wilso, the product key may well be valid, but if its registered to another machine, it won't work on yours. I don't recall for sure, but didn't you say you got that copy of XP by, shall we say, "other than normal retail means"? That might be the core problem.

Wilso replied:
Quote:
I've been downloading updates for a couple of days with no problem. It wasn't until I put in service pack 1 that this problem arose.

So it goes. That's normal. If your machine is already working & you don't wanna get busted, don't install service packs.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 06:55 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 07:39 pm
But it wasn't working. USB ports weren't working, CD Rom wasn't working, Media player wasn't working properly........
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 07:51 pm
Microsoft provides free support for new installation problems involving registered versions of their software ... and their techs are usually pretty good at getting things sorted out and working with a minimum of hassle; they are real pro on making sure their customers can use the products they've purchased Mr. Green

Apart from that, however, you can consult Microsoft Help and Support[/i] regardless the operating system you use, or its authenticity. There are individual sections for the various MS operating systems and applications, and yet other sections for a wide variety of common and even not-so-common issues involving the Windows/Microsoft family of software. The FAQs can be particularly valuable, more than you ever wanted to know about just about any Microsoft product can be found in the Knowledge Base, which is searchable, and MS maintains its own newsgroup, with discussion groups for each of the OS's and for many other individual applications or issues. The Knowledge Base and the MS newsgroups are accessible through the Microsoft Help and Support webite. In order to post a query to the newsgroups, I think you will have to register by providing an email address; I know I "log in automatically" when I visit. Whether or not you provide a valid email address is up to you, I think. No registration is required to search the Knowledge Base.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 09:36 pm
I tried that-it didn't have any information about my CD Rom
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 10:16 pm
So ... on this very machine, USB and your optical drive work under Win98 but not under XP? If that's the deal, it sure sounds like driver compatibility issues, as long as you can be certain no internal cables or connectors somehow got dislodged. Other than updating the drivers to
XP versions, I dunno what else to tell you.

I have a multi-part semi-rhetorical question for you though ...,

1) How much do you earn per hour (just remind yourself -don't tell us, its none of our business)

2) How many hours have you put into trying to get this copy of XP to work?

3) What is the cost of a retail copy of WinXP?
(note - if you have a '98 or ME CD, you can use the upgrade XP, and even install it on a clean disk ... it'll ask to see a previous Windows Install CD. Show it one, and its perfectly happy)
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 10:21 pm
timberlandko wrote:
CD keys will work on more then one copy of XP.....trust me...

Sure, 'till you go to Windows Update Mr. Green

I just had to re-register a machine due to hardware configuration changes (there had been many). Relatively simple and straight-forward, but still a pain-in-the-butt.

Well then how come all of my updates worked?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 10:34 pm
Dunno, standup. If you've got no problem, then cool, you've got no problem. I know folks who are less fortunate, and, as I said,, on one of my machines, which is sorta a test-bed/try this rig, Win XP wnated to be re-validated following the exchange of one type of NIC for another, which was probably the 7th or 8th hardware change -sound cards, video cards, USB2 card, FireWire card, a second hard drive, a couple different DVD burners, changes in memory configuration, that machine had undergone since WinXP was originally activated ... hell, the machine sits on the desk naked ... no external case ... cause I'm always fiddlin' with it. The revalidation was no biggie ... more or less just a matter of form and a new key from MS, but it was needed.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 10:59 pm
It can depend on the registration key. Some get flagged as having been distributed.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 11:19 pm
I wouldn't spend money on XP now. Especially since I know how much work it would take to get working properly, and couldn't guarantee that it would actually do so to my satisfaction. And yes, everything works 100% on 98.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 11:20 pm
So if I was to connect both my hard disk drives, one with 98 and the other with XP, could I set up a menu to choose which I wanted to boot off?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 11:42 pm
Well then how come all of my updates worked?

Consider yourself lucky. WinXP SP1 comes with enhanced anti-piracy measures. Eg. versions of WinXP patched by a number of cracks will require activation after SP1 has been installed. However, if you're using a license key that has never been leaked on the Internet, & you didn't use cracks, there's a decent chance you'll get away with it.

From Microsoft:
Quote:
What changes have been made to product activation in Windows XP SP1? How will these changes impact customers?

Microsoft will introduce additional technological measures in Service Pack 1 for Windows XP aimed at ensuring legally licensed customers receive the full benefits of owning their valid license. These changes include denying access to the Windows XP SP1 updates for PCs with known pirated installations, product key validation during activation, and the repair of cracks to activation. Additional features have been added to provide a better customer experience including an additional three-day grace period to re-activate after significant hardware changes and the ability for volume license customers to encrypt their volume license product key in unattended installations.

Licensed customers are not impacted by any of these changes.

As for the other problems you're having, Wilso, I'd agree with Timber that it just sounds like driver problems. That, on its own, doesn't indicate a problem with Windows XP. No matter what OS you're using, if you don't provide drivers it can work with, you aren't gonna get your hardware to do much.

Wilso wrote:
So if I was to connect both my hard disk drives, one with 98 and the other with XP, could I set up a menu to choose which I wanted to boot off?

Yes, you can.

If you need help with it, let us know & I'm sure someone here will try to help ya out. It might help if you start a new thread on the subject though.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 12:04 am
Wilso, you should go to someones house and borrow there high speed connection. That would help the xp updates along.
0 Replies