Windows XP-it better be good

Wilso

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 12:16 am
If the prices keep going down the way they have been, I may be able to afford one myself soon. And now that I've got a machine that actually makes it worthwhile.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 12:18 am
Two drives-two OS's-make a choice
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 01:49 am
How much is highspeed there?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 02:57 am
The main phone carrier Telstra, has just released a package for $29.95 a month (for 12 months). I don't know about download limits, extra costs or what happens after the first 12 months.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 06:58 am
I checked it out. Thats a 12 month minimum contract (ADSL). $189 for self installation of a 1 port modem. 256kbs upstream and 64kbs downstream. 200Mb per month, with each extra Mb charged at 15 cents/Mb.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 08:30 am
Might not be wise to assume the minimum package is the best one for you ... you might wanna think about that, and consider some of the options, particularly in as much as a contract is involved. I think you mis-typed the Down/Up figures; typically, the higher figure is the downstream speed. Actual throughput speeds work out to around 80% of nominal, so, even 512 is really about 400-or-so effective, once overhead is allowed for. Even if the upstream is 64, uploading is going to be not a helluvalot better than with nominal dialup, and consider, if you would, that 200MB is less than a third of a CD's woth of data, or just a few minute of video. For example, the upgtade from IE5.5x to IE6 SP1 is something between 15 to 17 MB by itself. I'll mention too that about the minimum for the satisfactory watching of streaming video is 384 down nominal.

In short, what you're looking at seems a helluvalot better than dialup, sure, but is it really suitable to your anticipated use of the service? The contract thing is key; you're looking for a track suit ... don't fit yourself with a straightjacket. Cheapest rarely turns out to be the best bargain.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 09:34 am
I use several times more than 200Mb of transfer a day, that's a really big limitation.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 02:36 pm
yep - Telstra gets you on the downloads - been a lot of fuss about it! Especially when you get the high speed for the download capabilities. Cheapest rate can work out very expensive.

Have a look at TPG - someone I know uses that without problems - or limitations - but not, I think, the cheapest rate.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 04:12 am
Had a problem with my 98 system, and when I tried to fix it, it stuffed up XP. I lost it completely and have had to start all over again. Needless to say I'm sick of setting up computers.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 06:12 am
Damn
0 Replies

gozmo

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 06:37 am
Wilso,

Don't touch the $29.95 package. You will exceed your limit faster than you can blink and it will cost you a fortune. I have bigpond cable unlimited and uncapped/128 for $59.95 a month. Ozemail have an unlimited plan 256/64 for $49.95 with free modem and connection if you sign 18 month contract. Shop around. You can purchase copies of W2000 on ebay, also XP OEM's are available for at least a third of retail.
0 Replies

Ross B

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 07:41 pm
XP OEM retail - attention gozmo
Hi gozmo

Would you mind elaborating on where you can buy XP OEMs for 1/3 of retail?

Also, excuse my ignorance, but what does "OEM" actually mean? I bought a newish computer at an auction last week and although WinXP Pro is installed, I can't get the mouse working (tried 3 I own, two USB and one PS/2). I do have a copy of WinXP Home but it is registered to my other computer. I have been advised to reformat the HD of the auctioned computer and install XP, so I suppose I have to buy a new copy of XP (hate it!). Would an OEM copy be ok, or are these already registered to another computer?

Cheers
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 09:55 pm
Re: XP OEM retail - attention gozmo
Ross B wrote:
what does "OEM" actually mean?

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer. OEMs manufacture software or equipment which they sell to other computer makers and vendors who, in turn, sell it to end users. Windows is made by Microsoft--in this case an OEM--which sells it to IBM & others. IBM repackages it & sells it to users, usually along with other equipment such as a new PC.
Technically, OEM copies of Windows should not be sold on their own, but rather they're supposed to come with some equipment.

Quote:
Would an OEM copy be ok, or are these already registered to another computer?

If no one used the copy of OEM software previously, it should be fine for you.
0 Replies

gozmo

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 10:12 pm
Ross,

OEM is other equipment manufacturer, and OEM software is specially priced for sale with new computers. OS's are readily available from Ebay, usually branded, but are fine if clean installed. Try local PC retailers if you are wary of online purchases.
0 Replies

gozmo

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 10:16 pm
Yes Monger, and usually a used and unguaranteed piece of equipment is allegedly supplied to satisfy MS's requirement.
0 Replies

Ross B

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 08:20 am
Thanks for your help, Monger and gozmo.
0 Replies