could someone please paraphrase the bold part for me? Thanks.

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2013 04:51 am
One or two Cobdenite members of the British Parliament engaged in the useful task of proving that the cost of living in Vienna was on an exorbitant scale, flitted with restrained importance through a land whose fatness they had come to spy out; every fancied over-charge in their bills was welcome as providing another nail in the coffin of their fiscal opponents. It is the glory of democracies that they may be misled but never driven. Here and there, like brave deeds in a dust-patterned world, flashed and glittered the sumptuous uniforms of representatives of the Austrian military caste. Also in evidence, at discreet intervals, were stray units of the Semetic tribe that nineteen centuries of European neglect had been unable to mislay.

could someone please paraphrase the bold part for me? Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 676 • Replies: 3
No top replies

McTag

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2013 07:30 am
@lizfeehily,

Quote:
It is the glory of democracies that they may be misled but never driven.
contrasting democratic system of government with dictatorship

Here and there, like brave deeds in a dust-patterned world, flashed and glittered the sumptuous uniforms of representatives of the Austrian military caste.
Army officers in splendid uniforms were to be seen

Also in evidence, at discreet intervals, were stray units of the Semetic tribe that nineteen centuries of European neglect had been unable to mislay.
Also here and there, Jewish citizens were noticeable, living here despite their troubled history in Europe
lizfeehily

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2013 07:31 pm
@McTag,
McTag, thanks, but I still don't understand the first one. Does it mean they (representing dictatorship) was misled , rather than driven by democracy?
McTag

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2013 12:42 am
@lizfeehily,

Quote:
It is the glory of democracies that they may be misled but never driven.

A kingdom or a dictatorship is "driven" by the aims, whims, desires of one person.
The "glory of democracies" or their shining advantage, is that the people chose their leadership, and hence to some extent the direction in which they are led.
0 Replies