what is "K.u.K" legend?

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2013 01:14 am
Elaine Youghal sat at lunch in the Speise Saal of one of Vienna’s costlier hotels. The double-headed eagle, with its “K.u.K.” legend, everywhere met the eye and announced the imperial favour in which the establishment basked.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 708 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2013 01:51 am
It stands for kaiserlich und königlich, in English it means "Imperial and Royal[/i], and at the time that Munro was writing it referred to the Austro-Hungarian dual monarchy. The expression originally referred to the Hapsburg dynasty which ruled Austria. First they ruled as Holy Roman emperors, then, after 1805, as Austrian emperors, and finally, from 1867 until 1918, as the emperors of Austria and the kings of Hungary.
Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2013 01:57 am
This is an abbreviated vesion of what the author is describing:

http://www.aacs-pit.org/images/crest.jpg

Elaine would have seen this, probably in a more colorful and elaborate version, with "K.u.K." underneath, and it would have meant that the establishment she was in had received an imperial and royal seal of approval. It would also have meant snob appeal and high prices.
0 Replies

lizfeehily

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2013 03:58 am
@Setanta,
Thanks for your detailed reply, Setanta. That really helped a lot.
Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2013 05:01 am
@lizfeehily,
I'm glad to hear it.
0 Replies