The real lessons of Fallujah

hobitbob

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 07:45 am
As we continue to escalate the violence.
Quote:
U.S. Helicopters Strike Shi'ite Area in Baghdad
1 hour, 43 minutes ago

By Michael Georgy

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - U.S. helicopters blasted targets in Baghdad Monday as a showdown intensified with radical Shi'ite militiamen challenging America's postwar blueprint for Iraq (news - web sites).

Reuters journalists said they saw two Apache helicopters attacking targets in the mainly Shi'ite Shuala district in the northwest of the city, where a U.S. vehicle was in flames.

There was no firm word on casualties in the strike, thought to be the first of its kind in Baghdad since the war that toppled Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) nearly a year ago, but an anti-U.S. cleric said five people had been killed and 10 wounded.

Iraq's U.S. administrator Paul Bremer vowed to crack down on firebrand Shi'ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr, a day after battles in Baghdad and near the shrine city of Najaf killed 48 Iraqis, eight American soldiers and one Salvadoran soldier.

In other violence, the U.S. army said a Marine was killed west of Baghdad Monday, an American soldier was killed by a car bomb in the city of Kirkuk Sunday, and another soldier was killed Sunday in a roadside bomb attack in Mosul.

A U.S. Marine also died Sunday from wounds sustained in an attack the previous day. Overall, 12 U.S. troops have been killed in combat over the past 24 hours.

Since the start of the war, 422 U.S. soldiers have been killed in action. Thousands of Iraqis have been killed.

The violence opens a new front for U.S.-led forces already struggling to contain attacks by Sunni Muslim insurgents.

It also complicates the task of U.N. envoy Lakhdar Brahimi, who arrived in Baghdad Sunday to discuss U.S. plans to hand sovereignty to Iraqis at the end of June and future elections.

Bremer said Sadr was an outlaw trying to usurp legitimate authority. "We will not tolerate this," he told an Iraqi ministerial committee for national security.

Sadr responded defiantly. "I'm accused by one of the leaders of evil, Bremer, of being an outlaw," he said in a statement read out in a mosque in Kufa, near Najaf, where he is staging a sit-in.

"If that means breaking the law of the American tyranny and its filthy constitution (for Iraq), I'm proud of that and that is why I'm in revolt," the 30-year-old cleric said.

U.S. tanks patrolled the Shi'ite slum district of Sadr City, where a hospital official said Sunday's battles with U.S. troops had killed 28 Iraqis and wounded 74.

SADR'S GRIEVANCES

A senior U.S. military official said the violence was not a generalized Shi'ite uprising, adding that he expected "moderate majority Shi'ites to come out and speak against this level of extremism" in the coming days.

Sadr has been angered by the arrest of one of his aides, Mustapha Yacoubi, seized by U.S.-led forces Saturday in connection with the killing of Shi'ite cleric Abdul Majid al-Khoei last year.

Interior Ministry officials said Monday Yacoubi was in Iraqi custody and would be tried for complicity in the murder. Sadr's group has denied involvement.

Sadr's followers are also demanding the reopening of al-Hawza newspaper, a Sadr mouthpiece that U.S.-led authorities closed, saying it was inciting anti-American violence.

Gunmen loyal to Sadr occupied the governor's building in the southern city of Basra. His supporters also staged protests in the shrine city of Kerbala, witnesses said.

U.S. forces sealed off the troubled Sunni town of Falluja, where four American security guards were killed last week. Witnesses reported heavy firing on the outskirts overnight and U.S. forces closed the nearby Baghdad-Amman highway.

In west Baghdad, insurgents attacked foreigners traveling in a civilian car, detonating a roadside bomb and firing small arms. A passenger, apparently American, said he had fired back. A U.S. Marine said no one had been hurt. The car was on fire.

Sadr had faded from Shi'ite politics in recent months while the spotlight focused on leading moderate cleric Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani and his objections to U.S. transition policies.

But Sadr's Mehdi Army has said for months it is ready for holy war against the Americans if the order comes, and their sudden challenge shows splits within the Shi'ite majority.

In Najaf, the local leader of the Badr militia, linked to a moderate Shi'ite group, said he had helped mediate a truce between Sadr's group and Spanish-led forces after Sunday's fighting there in which 20 Iraqis were killed and 200 wounded.

Hassan al-Battan told Reuters Sadr fighters had now handed back the Najaf police station and the Badr militia's office which they had occupied Sunday.

An aide to Sadr at the Kufa mosque said the cleric wanted U.S. troops to withdraw from Shi'ite areas.

"It is not up to us to defuse the situation but the Americans. They started to shoot at peaceful demonstrators," the aide, Qais al-Khazali, said.

Hundreds of Sadr's gunmen milled around the mosque. Some could be seen riding around town in looted police pickup trucks, wearing blue police-issue flak jackets.

This hasn't worked for Israel, why would they think it would work in Iraq?
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 07:46 am
I'm not concerned with whether you like me or not, and I'm not exactly conservative--I'm not a Bush supporter.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 10:36 am
I love your tag Hood, but I've changed it. As I was encouraging the 11 year old to clean up his room, these words escaped my lips:"Life's too short for ME to spend MY time doing things YOU don't enjoy. Thanks for the idea.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 04:25 pm
LOL, Cool!
0 Replies