I love walking.

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 07:56 pm
And I walk a lot. But during the summer I can't go outside and get exposed to the hot sun. I can't do this inside my house because I can't afford a treadmill. I'm afraid of getting sunburn or skin cancer. Hats can only cover my head. Will I look like a fairy if I walk outside with an umbrella?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 1,664 • Replies: 12
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 08:06 pm
@Jeremiah,
Sunscreen is your friend.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 08:14 pm
@Jeremiah,
Another good place to walk is your local mall. You will be indoors and you can clock several miles there.

You just have to make sure you leave all your credit and ATM cards at home and only bring a small amount of money so you aren't also shopping your way through the mall.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 08:19 pm
@Jeremiah,
Personally, I like fast walking. I walk 'til I'm hungry or thirsty then stop for a bear claw or beer which ever shows up first on my journey.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 10:34 pm
@Ragman,
You defeat the whole purpose of walking by eating those bear claws and beer! LOL

Ragman

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 11:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
(*pssst...humor)
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 11:31 pm
@Ragman,
That kind of humor goes way over my ..... ah, ah.... Sad
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 2 Aug, 2013 10:19 am
@Jeremiah,
Is there a YMCA that has treadmills?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 04:03 am
@Jeremiah,
Jeremiah wrote:
Will I look like a fairy if I walk outside with an umbrella?

Not if you move to China, my daughter is there at the moment. She can't buy sunscreen, and everybody walks around with an umbrella.
Foofie

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 02:38 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Jeremiah wrote:
Will I look like a fairy if I walk outside with an umbrella?

Not if you move to China, my daughter is there at the moment. She can't buy sunscreen, and everybody walks around with an umbrella.

I have heard, perhaps not totally correct, but Asians believe that fairness (aka, whiteness) correlates with beauty, so especially women walk around with umbrellas on sunny days. Same thing in NYC amongst the Asians.

Plus, being tanned has historically correlated with being a peasant in Asian, so the obsession with no tan, as I understand it.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 02:40 pm
@Jeremiah,
Jeremiah wrote:
Hats can only cover my head.

don't you wear any clothing?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 04:14 pm
@Foofie,
Where she is, they do value paleness actually. One of her friends was refused a taxi ride because she was black. Race is a real problem, but a lot of it is down to ignorance, they only see other Chinese people.

She went to a lotus flower festival last weekend. She is just a foreign language student, but she was put on a list of visiting dignitaries, and booked into a 4* hotel with loads of freebies. People stared and took her photo.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 04:28 pm
@Jeremiah,
Does it really matter what other people think?

Do what you want to do.

A lot of people are skin smart... Even wear thin layered shirts in hot weather..

Why not do your walking at dusk? Before the sun comes up or at sunset, as the sun goes down..
0 Replies