when should I use hyphens before nouns?

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 08:11 am
In the following text, I see two places that I think a hyphen should be used to join adjectives, in the first sentence between small and urban and in the last sentence between above and beyond. Is this correct? If not why?

"A number of ADA resources are available for larger operators, but few exist for small-urban, rural and frontier operators. This guide will outline how the ADA applies to demand-response operations. The ADA is a civil rights law. Knowing your agency’s responsibility under ADA regulations is the first step in providing comprehensive services that are accessible for everyone. Providing transportation, whether public or private, is about more than scheduling and maintaining vehicles; it is about helping people reach the places they need to go. The ADA provides the minimum requirements; many states and agencies go above-and-beyond these requirements to meet the needs of the people they serve."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,224 • Replies: 5
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 09:24 am
@Lucy20191,
I would not use a hyphen in that particular example.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 09:40 am
@Lucy20191,
In my opinion in neither instance about which you're inquiring is a hyphen appropriate.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 10:47 am
"small-urban, rural and frontier operators"

I, on the contrary, agree with the use of a hyphen in the example given, provided small is only intended to modify "urban", that to mean an operator in a small town. If however it is intended to modify each of "urban, rural, and frontier" then it would be inappropriate.

0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 04:36 pm
@Lucy20191,
I see 'small-space' used as an adjective to define a particular area. Small-urban is used to describe specific urban areas where ADA resources are not available. .

Otherwise, it might be seen as a series: small, urban, rural and frontier, which makes no sense.

roger

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 05:11 pm
@PUNKEY,
I see it as small urban, rural, and frontier.
0 Replies