The Culture of Violence

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 06:01 pm
Have you seen this?

I usually don't hit and run leaving only a link but I really can't think of anything to add. Mr. Jefferson does an excellent job of exposing the truth.

What do you think about this?

chai2

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 06:27 pm
So this is news to you?

It's called being a bunch of drunken assholes.
boomerang

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 06:34 pm
@chai2,
I think the problem of crime and violence in the white community has been ignored for too long. I'm glad to see someone finally address it publicly in such a forthright manner.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 06:43 pm
@chai2,
I love this quote by this self proclaim "person of color"....

My best friend is white, my mother is white, the girl I took to the prom is white.....she's......really white, she rides horses.

I didn't know that particular stereotype.....she's really white....she rides horses.

Honestly? I almost thought this was something a la The Onion, that is was really a joke. I was waiting for the punch line at the end.

I don't think anyone has ever ignored...you know, I wouldn't call this violence, I call it drunken vandalism.

Who's ever ignored it? Not me. Not anyone I know.

It's a bunch of testosterone fueled guys that had 4 or 5 six packs to many.

I think they should be arrested, and would have been if cops had been there.
I don't see where the fact that white people, most especially young white men do really stupid things, punch each other out, tip over jiffy johns, rape young women, kill each other etc etc., especially when under the influence of drugs/alcohol, and in the company of each other, which fuel their competition to see who can be the biggest offender is any kind of secret.

Setanta

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 06:47 pm
If you go to university, and you pledge the right fraternity, if you daddy knows the right people, you can, with minimal knowledge and skills, get a corporate job in which you can plunder small investors, defraud the investors of your corporation, pollute the environment, sell unsafe products--and you'll never do a single day in jail. Investors and bankers plundered the nation of billions of dollars. What happened to them? Nothing. The government bailed out their companies, and they got their bonuses for thousands or even millions of dollars, and you can't stop them from getting the bonuses because they are contractually mandated, and the holy law will not allow those contract provisions to be set aside. Is it any wonder that their sons behave like this?
boomerang

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 07:03 pm
@Setanta,
Agreed.

I think we should start referring to all these people by race. "White man so-and-so swindled you out of your retirement while accepting his multimillion dollar bonus...."
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 07:04 pm
@chai2,
I think you're missing the point (by miles).
chai2

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 07:07 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

If you go to university, and you pledge the right fraternity, if you daddy knows the right people, you can, with minimal knowledge and skills, get a corporate job in which you can plunder small investors, defraud the investors of your corporation, pollute the environment, sell unsafe products--and you'll never do a single day in jail. Investors and bankers plundered the nation of billions of dollars. What happened to them? Nothing. The government bailed out their companies, and they got their bonuses for thousands or even millions of dollars, and you can't stop them from getting the bonuses because they are contractually mandated, and the holy law will not allow those contract provisions to be set aside. Is it any wonder that their sons behave like this?

exactly.

where is this news?

I had to rewatch some of that to find something that was said, but didn't have the patience.
Something about "this happens/originates, something like that....on the LaCrosse fields"

The lacrosse fields?

Obviously aimed at the frat boys, which again, it's widely know they're doucebags.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 07:13 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I think you're missing the point (by miles).

No, I think I'm getting the point exactly.

There's a culture of violence among white men, especially the culture of rich white men who can get away with it.

This isn't any new information.

Withing the first 5 seconds of the video, I could tell they were probably rich white boys.

Is the point some guy and his black guest (whose best friend is white btw, and had a white prom date who was so white she rode horses) talk about it mean they're exposing something?
I don't think so, since it's pretty much common knowlege, and always has been, and been talked about, since it's common knowledge.

I'm still not convinced this isn't some kind of satire, it's so obvious.

boomerang

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 07:14 pm
@chai2,
It's satire.
chai2

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 07:19 pm
@boomerang,
So.....we agree then?

It's satire, it's not something we weren't already aware of, it's not anything that's new information?

Was this all a joke of some kind?

boomerang

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 07:20 pm
@chai2,
No. It wasn't a joke.

It's satire.
chai2

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 07:25 pm
@boomerang,
Sorry, I guess I'm using the definition that says satire is usually meant to be funny.

sat·ire
/ˈsaˌtī(ə)r/
Noun
The use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of...

see lampoon...

I actually had to look up the definiton to make sure I knew what it was.

boomerang

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 07:32 pm
@chai2,
It's satire in the way that "Candide" or "Gulliver's Travels" are satire.

Not jokes, satire.

If you'd like to start a thread on the nature of satire I'm sure it would be very interesting.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 08:28 pm
@boomerang,
Love it! About time that someone gets tough on the White community. These ******* punks. They always get away.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 08:31 pm
@Thomas,
You said it!

I jest, but not a lot.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 08:35 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
I'm still not convinced this isn't some kind of satire, it's so obvious.

You're right, it is satire. It satirizes the way right-wing talk-radio people like Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity talk about Blacks. And this satire works especially well because it gets so many of its facts right.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 08:38 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Sorry, I guess I'm using the definition that says satire is usually meant to be funny.

All satire is funny. Not everything funny is satire. For example, a slapstick movie with people slipping on banana peels is arguably funny, but certainly no satire. This segment here is satire because, on top of being funny, it exposes and criticises the stupidity of right-wing talk-radio stereotypes about "the Black community".
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 08:45 pm
What's most amazing to me about these white crimes is that the media doesn't plaster it 24/7 like other events - especially where blacks are involved.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 09:55 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
I almost thought this was something a la The Onion, that is was really a joke. I was waiting for the punch line at the end.

And you were right to wait for that punchline. The original video at MSNBC has a disclaimer at the beginning that the following is satire, as well as a moral-of-the-story ending. ("If you think this story is totally ridiculous, you're right. Keep that in mind when you hear it again, with the word "white" exchanged by some other word." The YouTube poster cut both of them off.

Here's the original: http://video.msnbc.msn.com/all-in-/52626752#52626752
0 Replies