Departmental changes at work. No longer allowed to have fun

Angel23

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 12:08 pm
A new position for assistant manager has been created. Someone will be filling that shortly and we're anticipating the person's arrival anytime soon. We, especially my supervisor, wants to make a good impression. Consequently, the environment changed. We're no longer allowed to have fun or talk to each other unless it's related to getting then job done. I witnessed that firsthand a few days ago during my shift. It is incredibly blah. Indeed, there's no more screwing around or talking to each other just to talk. It's serious all business mode. How to deal when you like having fun?

contrex

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 01:04 pm
It's nice when you can have fun while at work, but realistically, work is what you are paid to do.
Angel23

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 01:08 pm
@contrex,
Well yeah. But when no one even ask each other about their weekend no more, then one might question whether we work at a law firm or a retail store.
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 01:22 pm
@Angel23,
Okay, but maybe you should stop feeling sorry for yourself, and feel sorry for those of us who work at law firms? Hmmm?
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 02:03 pm
@Ticomaya,
Angel, DirrtyDozen, Stacy, I think this will be a good thing for you. You now have a strict set of rules to work within and won't have to figure out what you did wrong after the fact. You now know the rules and the decorum expected of you. It is up to you to choose to comply with them or continue with the acting out and further jeopardize your job.

I hope these rules help you succeed. Good luck!
0 Replies

egrizzly

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2013 03:10 pm
@Angel23,
if its talking that you miss, but you all are still allowed to talk, then talk. Of course it has to be about work since everybody is keeping it all business now. For those work related issues where you previously didn't care to talk about (because that time was filled talking about more fun stuff), visit your colleagues and talk about them. That means give your opinions on how various issues affect the job, then give solutions, e.t.c

If there's a new printer at the office talk about how it prints so much slower than the previous printer. You have to balance this (negative, complaining, e.t.c) with suggestions and new ideas (...show coworkers new ideas, e.t.c). It's still all about work but it's talking. Try it a few times and you'll get the hang of it.
roger

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2013 03:43 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

Okay, but maybe you should stop feeling sorry for yourself, and feel sorry for those of us who work at law firms? Hmmm?

You do know there is a whole thread for "Bad Jokes", don't you.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2013 04:23 pm
@Angel23,
Angel23 wrote:
How to deal when you like having fun?
Take your services to a place that u like better.
0 Replies

Angel23

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 08:02 am
@egrizzly,
Ironically, after the assistant manager arrived several months ago, we're allowed to screw around again lol. I guess at least someone was worried about making an impression b4 lol.
0 Replies