I graduated college with an awful GPA because I didn't take school seriously when I was younger.

annanyc

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 08:46 pm
I graduated college with an awful GPA because I didn't take school seriously when I was younger. I majored in anthropology and minored in biology. Now I am 27 years old, unemployed, and feeling depressed. I spend all of my time reading books, articles, and blogs. I feel like my life is over. No one will hire me and I will never get into graduate school. My low GPA will haunt me for the rest of my life. Should I continue living or kill myself?

BillRM

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 09:04 pm
@annanyc,
Killing yourself over that?

Yes we all have problems but you do have a degree low GPA or not and I assume your health and you are better off then 99.9 percent of the world population.

Let's see off the top of my head there are programs for anyone with a four years degree to become a teacher for example and that is just a suggestion you might wish to look into.

Lot of others possibilities if you look outside the box.

Surely your problems does not at age 27 called for the ending of your live in my opinion and I am sure in most opinions.

Things will get better and we all are here for such a short time as it is it is kind of crazy to end a life early over the problem you had stated.

Get some counseling and medical care for your depression and begin to view the world as the wonderful place it is even with problems.
annanyc

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 10:17 pm
@BillRM,
I am interested in various topics including biological anthropology, osteology, population genetics, forensic anthropology, neuroscience, animal behavior, prehistoric archaeology, cultural anthropology, sustainability, and public health. I would like to apply for entry-level positions at research labs, the Museum of Natural History, the Wildlife Conservation Society, and nonprofit organizations dealing with social, economic, and environmental issues. My GPA in college was a 2.5 cumulative and a 3.1 in my major. I am afraid that no one will hire me. Employers would look at my GPA and think I'm mentally retarded. I wish I could go back in time and fix my mistakes.
BillRM

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 10:40 pm
@annanyc,
Quote:
I wish I could go back in time and fix my mistakes.

Forget the time travel it can not be done and is not useful to think about

If it could be done we all would be going back and doing repairs on our lives as you are hardly alone in regretting past actions!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
I would like to apply for entry-level positions at research labs, the Museum of Natural History, the Wildlife Conservation Society, and nonprofit organizations dealing with social, economic, and environmental issues.

You would like to apply meaning you had not done so yet?

Why do you not just apply and see what might happen? The worst that can happen is that they will say no.

How about trying for internships positions/voluntary positions at NGOs if you can afford not getting pay for a while to try to get your foot in the door.

Quote:
I am interested in various topics including biological anthropology, osteology, population genetics, forensic anthropology, neuroscience, animal behavior, prehistoric archaeology, cultural anthropology, sustainability, and public health.

In the mean time it might be fun at least to my way of thinking to try teaching in areas that you have a love for even at the high school honor level.

From my own readings high school systems for example had a real shortage of people that can teach in the hard science/math areas.
annanyc

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 11:18 pm
@BillRM,
I think that graduating from college with a 2.5 is the end of the world. Employers will judge me by my GPA and won't even give me a chance to prove myself. I am tempted to commit suicide by jumping off the Brooklyn Bridge. I really feel like I'm useless and I don't deserve to live anymore.
roger

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 11:31 pm
@annanyc,
Trust me, annanyc, almost never will an employer ask for a gpa or a copy of a transcript. It just isn't happening. The only time it matters is for a person with not job related experience and a gpa above 3.6 or there abouts.

Yes, it probably hurt your acceptance to grad school, but otherwise it just isn't going to happen.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 03:22 am
@annanyc,
Quote:
I think that graduating from college with a 2.5 is the end of the world. Employers will judge me by my GPA and won't even give me a chance to prove myself. I am tempted to commit suicide by jumping off the Brooklyn Bridge. I really feel like I'm useless and I don't deserve to live anymore

You think that such is the case without even putting it to the test and you have a scientific background?

Beginning to sound like you are looking for an excused to commit suicide and or feel sorry for yourself.

Seems a shame if you do so and thereby wasting five or more decades of human life ahead of you normally and all the love and care and expense it took for you to reached your current age and all over a 2.5 GPA!!!!!!!

Strongly suggest that you get medical care for your depression that does not seem at all well ground in reality.

Footnote depression is not something to be ashamed of as for example Winston Churchill have periods where his "black dog" would come upon him to the point he would fear going too near the edge of a train platforms. Thankfully there are treatments available for you that Churchill did not have available to him.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 05:50 am
@annanyc,
How many jobs didn't you get because of a 2.5 GPA?

The job market has been very difficult over the last five years but it's improving. Get your resume out there. Look for jobs or companies that interest you and cold call. Volunteer at a place of interest - it's better than sitting at home being depressed and may end up with an employment offer. How about a museum of natural history?

How are your interview skills? If you present a "you probably don't want to hire me" attitude then they probably won't hire you.

Your 2.5 overall GPA and 3.1 in your major will not keep you out of graduate school forever. Get a few(many) years of pertinent work experience behind you and start applying.

Get past your sad sack attitude and light a fire under yourself. If you aren't able to do that then get some therapy.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 05:53 am
@annanyc,
I certainly hope you don't have any family or loved ones because that would be the ultimate in selfish acts.

There are services available in NYC. Get help.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 06:13 am
There are two different issues here.

First, it seems clear to me that you are suffering from depression. You should get help. It is quite likely that these feelings of despair are from the depression, not from you GPA. There are treatments for this, starting with seeing a therapist.

Getting treatment for your depression is the most important thing (and may even help getting your career on track).

Second, you may be blaming your GPA too much. This is a difficult economy, and lots of people have been out of work. It's difficult. It sucks. But it may be that the problem has very little to do with your GPA (and the older you get the less GPA matters).

There are ways to get your career on track, they take patience and work. And, it helps to have the right kind of help. You should be networking, and becoming part of professional groups, and maybe getting career help. (Of course this is challenging until you get help for depression, so do that first).

Third, there are ways of fixing your GPA if you decide that that is important. I went back to school when I was 28 because my GPA was so bad that I didn't even bother finishing. The second time I graduated top of my class. It helps to be a little older and more mature. If you decide that going back to school would help, you certainly could do this. And this would also open up graduate school to you if that is what you want. Talk to Colleges... maybe about a second degree. You could also talk to graduate schools about what they would need.

You have a lot of options to make things better. But, I think the real issue is depression that is holding you back. My advice is that you seek help for that, it will make the other things so much easier.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 06:58 am
Employers won't know your GPA unless you put it on your resume or you blurt it out during an interview. And even if they did learn of it, they wouldn't think you were "retarded" (your word, not mine, sheesh).

Do you know what they call the person who graduates last in their medical school?

Doctor.

Do you know what they call the person who graduates from Law School and barely passes the Bar exam?

Lawyer.

Get thee to a counselor, and find out why this is holding you back, and why you feel it is such an all or nothing, black and white thing. It's not. You will find employment. You are a college graduate and, like Bill said, you're better off than a good 99% of the planet.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 11:27 am
@annanyc,
Your GPA shouldn't matter so much. If you have a lower GPA, you simply do not put it on your resume.

Also, once you have a little work experience (which makes me believe at 27 you should have some work experience) GPA does not matter. You typically do not put a GPA on a resume once you have full time work experience.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 11:45 am
@annanyc,
Depression of course can arise from several sources. On the one hand your grade could figure into yours. However consider that you might only be latching the feeling onto your apparently substandard academic achievement but that its principal cause is more obscure, for instance a rare allergy releasing a small quantity of some otherwise harmless chemical to circulate through your brain

And of course there's always lack of sleep, improper diet, etc

Or some combo. In the case of unhappy childhood with irreversible grades simply accept as a victim of cause and effect; this realization could free you from your past

But also seriously consider all above contributions
dalehileman

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 12:12 pm
@dalehileman,
Though somewhat paradoxical, your condition might even prove the side effect of a med prescribed for some other malady
dalehileman

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 12:50 pm
@dalehileman,
Oh Ann, and alcohol even in small quantity

http://www.google.ca/#sclient=psy-ab&q=alcohol+depression+small+amounts&oq=alcohol+depression+small+amounts&gs_l=serp.12...9447927.9456977.0.9462345.32.24.0.8.8.0.393.3721.1j18j4j1.24.0....0...1c.1.23.psy-ab..5.27.2965.aGJa7qRnGFA&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=a2f5b98f4bd4f92c&biw=1191&bih=774&bvm=pv.xjs.s.en_US.jOYpRJj4zMA.O
dalehileman

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 02:48 pm
@dalehileman,
…..while I'm not so sure as others about professional help. It's expensive and I'm led to believe uncertain, depending on the practitioner
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 02:55 pm
I've no idea if our poster has clinical depression or has lived in a situation where gpa has suddenly been shown to her to be very important - while the rest of us, including me, say, eh!

It can be, but may well not be.

She says she's depressed about it, but that doesn't mean she needs diagnosis, ferchrissakes. Maybe, but also maybe not. Maybe she's a drama queen based on the little she knows. Some of us can relate to that.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 03:00 pm
@ossobuco,
Getting help doesn't necessarily mean "diagnosis". It means getting help. Talking to a therapist would be a good idea for anyone who is facing this much pressure.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 03:13 pm
@maxdancona,
I'm a long time hoper on a2k that some look to therapy. I'm getting more careful of who I say that to.

My new suggestion is that some people should read more novels, to gauge the wide world.
BillRM

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 03:22 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
but that doesn't mean she needs diagnosis, ferchrissakes

She is threatening suicide and even have the method decided on so for that alone I would suggest she should see experts and be diagnosis for ferchissakes as you said.