i gotta stop reading the news, i just gets confused

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 11:18 am
this mornings Rocky Mtn News
"LESBIAN EIGHT-GRADER KICKED OUT OF GYM CLASS-Baning California. A teacher kicked an eight-gradeer out of gym class after finding out the girl was a lesbian, according to a discrimination lawsuit filed this week against the Banning Unified School District."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,124 • Replies: 8
No top replies

au1929

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 11:32 am
If the only reason for "kicking" the girl out of class was that she was a lesbian. I would say that teacher and school are in for a law suite that they will no doubt come out on the short end of.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 11:37 am
au: wish i could address your question but that was not included in the news article, however it was implied that "being lesian" was the sole justification for the expulsion.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 11:42 am
I feel sorry for the girl. Whether she remains a lesbian or not is a moot point. Many young teens experiment with homosexuality, and then go on to a heterosexual lifestyle. Besides the fact that the school board was completely out of order, I feel terrible that this kid has to be put in the midst of this brouhaha, just because there are some asinine adults running things.

It is hard enough for ANY teenager to grapple with his/her sexuality, but to be put in the middle of a controversy over it, could cause irreperable harm to her emotionally.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 11:50 am
phoenix: i readily admit to a bias against what i see as a "new christian right" imperative to install their agenda and i do see this as another imposition on the dignity and civility of "we the people". This is, in my mind, not significantly different than expulsion for being of the "wrong" race.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 12:08 pm
dyslexia- Agree. The problem is, that the agenda of the Christian right goes all the way to the White House. I really hope that we are not going back to the "bad old days" of the 40's and 50's, when prejudice ran rampant. The difference is that the groups being targeted are diffrent than in those days, but the intent is the same.

"My way or the highway" does not make for a campaign slogan that is very inclusive of all Americans!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 12:22 pm
Big brother circa 2002.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 12:24 pm
I feel we are in line for a lot more of this over the next 2 years. I think the unPres is a little irate with Lott for bringing that little Repub secret to the forefront! Now they gotta do something to apease that wrong! This one is still local and "mild" enough to ignore.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 06:12 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
i gotta stop reading the news, i just gets confused

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h246/Reyn2244/man.jpg
Dys, after accidentally reading some news today.
0 Replies