Cannes $136 million jewel heist: life imitating cinema

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 08:13 pm
Jewelry stolen from a hotel in Cannes on Sunday is valued at $136 million, making it France's biggest robbery ever.
French hotel was setting for 1955 Alfred Hitchcock film To Catch A Thief

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2381103/Pink-Panther-jewel-thieves-Gang-200-ex-soldiers-struck-world.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 906 • Replies: 2
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 10:01 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
fencing jewelry is not easy and its value is greatly diminished in the transfer. That's why I believe that these are all inside jobs that were perped just for the insurance.

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 10:39 pm
@farmerman,
That's the problem both with jewel heists and art theft. How do you turn a profit on it? But, of course, at a certain level there exists a network of both professional thieves and fences who'll pay ten cents on the dollar value of a perfect diamond or on a Rembrandt painting. And when the value is in the millions, ten cents on the dollar is a lot of money for the thieves.

But, I agree with you: a lot of these so-called robberies are staged for the insurance money. But read the story at the link I posted. The reporter says there's a vey professional gang, known as the Pink Panthers, operating in Europe and elsewhere right now. Some fascinating bits in that story.
0 Replies