"To posture or to Pasture"?

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 11:09 am
While Aspen Colorado has never been a hotbed on common sense the school board is in a quantry over Yoga. In a voluntary 3rd grade exercise class 21 little bodies kneel to the floor, thrust their backsides into the air and extend their arms as they glide from one posture into another. About 250 of the 400 children in first through fourth grade began yoga this past fall.
On the flip side-Pastor steve Woodrow of First Baptist Church sees yoga education as a violation of church and state. "The issue won't go away until the U.S. Supreme Court makes a decision." "You can have Miller Lite, but its still beer", says theRev. Eric Ahlemeyer, Pastor of Messiah Lutheren Church, who is one of four religious leaders who oppose the tryout of yoga in the Aspen Schools. However, Joshua Saslove, president of the Aspen Jewsih Congregation has signed up for the yaga classes himself, stating "i don't see the religious aspect to it, Time goes by, and things change".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,969 • Replies: 15
No top replies

au1929

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 11:27 am
dyslexia
I can't see any religious significance in Yoga. Did any of the church leaders who oppose these lessons give any explanation of their reasoning.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 11:31 am
au, other than stating that yoga is "new age spirituality" i have not read anything specific that is being contested. however the issue is up for a decision by the school board on whether or not to continue the program.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 11:34 am
"New Age Spirituality", my Aunt Tallulah. Yoga has been around since the flood. I think that Ahlemeyer needs to do some yoga himself. Might help him with some of the anal retentiveness that he so obviously exhibits!
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2002 02:12 pm
Hmm, is not Yoga a part of the Hindu religious philosophy? I have nothing against Hindus, but if religion is separated from state, this principle must be applied to all the religions, and not to Christianity alone...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2002 02:31 pm
Yoga (Sanskrit: "Yoking," or "Union"), originally is one of the six orthodox systems (darshans) of Indian philosophy.

But " n the 20th century, the philosophy and practice of Yoga became increasingly popular in the West. The first important organization for practitioners in the United States was the Self-Realization Fellowship, founded by Paramahansa Yogananda in 1920. Some 50 years later, instruction emphasizing both the physical and spiritual benefits of Yogic techniques was available through a wide variety of sectarian Yoga organizations, nonsectarian classes, and television programs in the United States and Europe[.]". (from: britannica encyclopædia)

It's done here (Europe/Germany) by church groups and state schools - no-one would get the idea, to see something religious behind that. (Oops, some do, I see.)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2002 02:49 pm
Oh, good grief!!!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2002 03:11 pm
What I find most preposterous about these sorts is the way they insist their intollerance be must be tollerated because else would be intollerant of them. Idiots.

timber
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2002 03:32 pm
During my tenture in Thomas County, Georgia, some members of the Christian community instructed citizens to avoid such practices. Why? Apparently the mediation period, in which one clears one's mind, opens it to the work of the Devil/evil.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2002 05:24 pm
Sounds like the folks in Thomas County likely might not be fans of Ice Fishing. One gets in a powerful amount of meditation when alone on the middle of a frozen lake a few hours at a stretch.

timber
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2002 06:05 pm
The last time I was in Aspen the local newspaper was have a serious discussion about the benefits of sharing a joint with your kids. So I am not surprised about anything that might or might not happen in Pitkin County.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2002 06:10 pm
Maple - You are absolutely correct! A number of christian groupings appear to believe that to clear the mind allows the devil to enter it.

I have occasionally taught relaxation methods - including simple meditation - to people suffering from various illnesses - and learned to check whether there were any fundamentalist christians in the group before proceeding with the meditation aspects.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2002 07:30 pm
What Deb said---good grief!!!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 02:39 am
Strange, digging up old topics. Dys and I hadn't even met when this was current...
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 03:05 am
Yes it is from a long time ago.

Might give ice fishng a go though. Thanks Timber.
(if i can find some ice)

Does one catch frozen fish?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 05:05 am
Diane wrote:
Strange, digging up old topics. Dys and I hadn't even met when this was current...

Goodness!!!!!!!

Hey...can you guys email me your phone number again?

I seem to have mislaid it.....

(Were you secretly courting online, though.......hmmmmmmm.. :wink: .....????? Secret courtin' online is such fun!!!!!)
0 Replies