Indians (Native Americans)

cavfancier

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 08:43 pm
Black Robe was a great flick.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 08:53 pm
alferd packer, sentenced to hang for eating the democrats in Hinsdale county colorado was pardoned in 1901 by the govenor (republican?)
http://www.ellensplace.net/apackr2.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 08:58 pm
But, he still spent his life in jail, no?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 09:00 pm
no
"It is, therefore, ordered that the said application be granted and that the said Packer be paroled and permitted to go at large, but within the State of Colorado subject to the terms and conditions of said act, and the rules prescribed and to be prescribed thereunder, and the agreement to be signed by him as a condition thereof"
he died April 24, 1907 a free man, in Littleton Colorado and is buried at the Litleton Cemetary
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 09:02 pm
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 09:06 pm
a different angle:
http://www.du.edu/~kmurcray/packer.html
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 09:17 pm
very true 'k, this saga remains a ongoing debate here in colorado, but it's an immensely fun story (late at night around the camp-fire) and I have camped often around Lake City co in the area where all this was supposed to have occured (stunning country) just down stream from Slumgullion Pass on the back road to Gunnison Co. (I bet you miss the west, and I don't mean Aspen) think of you every time I grab some Hatch's chili's of the patio for cooking.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 09:52 pm
my favorite man eating movie..and actually..the Indians were the least of the problems..in fact..they were the only normal ones. (Trying to go back to Indians here...LOL)

Ravenous

Never looked at the website before..hysterical!!
Fox does not condone cannibalism..ya right.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 10:02 pm
dyslexia wrote:
(I bet you miss the west, and I don't mean Aspen) think of you every time I grab some Hatch's chili's of the patio for cooking.

I do! Waaah!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 10:06 pm
Ok, as I was looking through some website, I found a page that had a nice collection of info and links. On it was a listing of powwows from around (at least) USA and Canada. New england has lots of them, believe it or not. Massachusetts alone has 66 powwows listed on this site for the year 2004.

www.wanderingbull.com
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 10:13 pm
The thing that fascinates me is the speed in which the N and S AMerican continents were peopled. Joseph Greenberg, the linguist , traced thhe entire 650+ Indian languages and dialects of the entire W Hemisphere into 3 separate language roots and related these to cross Beringia Asians. mDNA studies begun in the early 90s at Emory U have increased our knowledge of root stocks and potential numbers of migrations. These mDNA analyses agree fairly well with the stratigraphic context and , for most part,Greenbergs language roots
He termed the three Eskaleufe,NAdene, adn AMerind. mDNA data supports that the AMerind, the most diverse and the populations of most nations in the North and South Americas, is the oldest migration, occuring anywhere from 10K to over 18K years BP (depending on whether the Amerind stock took the "best commute" route to South America). The diversity of mDNA population markers, indicates that they spread out across the entire continents of N and S AMerica in less than 3 generations. The only problem that Archeologists have (excuse me acquiunk, Im out of my league) but, probably, the mosts culturally important artifacts for ethno-reconstruction, are out under 300 ft of coastal water. The similarities in blood type, mDNA, and languages (almost every Indian name for its own nation is some form of "The Real People" or "The people" or The original People". Subgroups of the major Nations then have names that describe their local environment. Technology for projectile points follows a good regional time-table of how fast these technologies were dispersed, so that the "3 generation rule" for populating the new continents, is measurable by how fast these points appear in encampments where C14 dating and stratigraphy could be done.
The support sciences like glacialogy have , in the past, limited to speculate how soon the people could have migrated over the Beringean "land Bridge" and through ice filled areas of Alaska. The low ice passage was about 12000 yBP so a land trip was theorized as only possible as the ice ablated this seemed reasonable in the absence of anything better.I think this hypothesis is the brainchild of Richard Foster Flint "the father of modern US glaciology"
However, some new theories (untested as of yet) state that , because artifacts were found in the "shallows"off BC and the existence of anomalously old ages of Paleo sites in Monte Verde, Shoop, and MeadowCroft, there is a growing hypothesis that Amerinds, like the later Innuit and Nadene, could have used skin "boatlike" floats and made it south by straddling the coast.
The subtle changes from paleo technology(deeply fluted points, massive ) toPaleo/ Transitional (slightly fluted ) like ANgustara or Folsom also swept across the nation into esptablished populationsin less than 3 generations. The actual migration of the Amerinds to Canada was a function of deglaciation. Canadina Amerind populations are much younger than in the US and S AMerica which seems counterintuitive since we still feel that the populating of this hemisphere was restricted to one pathway, Beringea..

Ive heard hypotheses that Kennewick man was a Indo European, but mDNA has shown that he is, alas not a Kelt, but of Asian stock, so the migration from Europe to The Americas , or a Southern sailing route still needs credible evidence to be taken seriously

.Heres a web siet re: the "coasting" hypotheses. It makes sense that certain steep cordillera would not have a vast shhoreline that was drowned as seas rose, so steep shores would be very similar today as they were in the Plesitocene so, a BAja connection is one that adds some fresh analyses to thhe origins of The People

http://www.centerfirstamericans.com/mt.html?a=60
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 10:18 pm
Fascinatin' stuff, Boss . . .

Thanks, FM . . .
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 10:19 pm
Another very good film concerning the Europeans' first encounters with the Tupinambás of the Amazon is Como Era Gostoso o Meu Francês - How Tasty Was My Little Frenchman.

Thanks for the reference, quinn.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 10:19 pm
Official Website of the Navajo Nation
http://www.navajo.org/

Explore the Navajo Nation
http://www.americanwest.com/pages/navajo2.htm

Navajo Code Talkers Dictionary
http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq61-4.htm

Official Website of the Hopi Tribe
http://www.hopi.nsn.us
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 10:21 pm
Infra..fabulous bit of film...on my shelf in DVD..and thats special..no problem..always willing to share Smile
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 10:26 pm
bookmarking another great thread
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 10:34 pm
I gotta see "How tasty..." my Tupi is a little rusty, I hope it has subs
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 11:04 pm
It does, FM.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 11:44 pm
Carson was aided by his Ute allies from Ft Garland, Dys, and I'm not sure intertribal relations are quite normalized today.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 08:29 am
http://www.csulb.edu/projects/ais/

Indians of North America
Alcatraz Occupation: The Story
The 1969 occupation of Alcatraz Island is seen as a watershed event in contemporary Native American history. This site provides a brief history of the occupation as documented in my book, "The Occupation of Alcatraz Island, Indian Self-determination and The Rise of Indian Activism
Alcatraz Occupaion in photographs
This collection of photographs and descriptions by Ilka Hartmann tell the story of the American Indian occupation of Alcatraz Island through the eyes of those who made up the occupation force.
Alcatraz: The Story of American Indian Inmates
Written by Ranger Craig Glassner, this site tells of the Army's use of Alcatraz as the nation's first permanent military prison and focuses on the imprisonment of a number of Native Americans from 1873 to 1895.
Alcatraz: The Story of the Hopi Inmates, Part 1
This website is a joint project of the National Park Service and the Hopi Cultural Preservation Office. The articles and photographs document an event connecting the history of the Hopi people and Alcatraz. The story of the Alcatraz inmates is authored by Wendy Holliday, Historian with the Hopi Cultural Preservation Office.
Alcatraz: The Story of the Hopi Inmates, Part 2
In connection with Part 1 of this collection, this site traces the government's Indian policy and the effect it had on the people of Hopi in the late 19th century, culminating with the imprisonment of 19 Hopi men by the U. S. Army on Alcatraz Island in 1895.
Federally Recognized California Tribes
Federally Recognized Indian Tribes
The Native American Experience
Contains Photographs, drawings, maps and short descriptions chroniclizing the experiences of the Native American population dating from the first migrations from Siberia (pre-1600) through recent experiences.
The Navajo (Din'e)
Photographer Ilka Hartmann's collection of photographs taken in 1971 on the Navajo Reservation.
Theodore De Bry Copper Plate Engravings
A collection of images and descriptions depicting early American life in the United States.
Tribes Petitioning for Federal Recognition
Powwow
A gathering of North American Indian tribes at California State University, Long Beach on April 28, 1990.
Portrait of a People
Native American photographs by Ilka Hartmann
Non-Federally Recognized Indian Tribes Provides a state by state listing of all non-federally recognized American Indian tribes in the United States.
etcetera
0 Replies