tones

WBYeats

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 03:13 am
Part of a story:

“I have come to you, Mr. Holmes,” she said,“because you once enabled my employer, Mrs. Cecil Forrester, to unravel a little domestic complication. She was much impressed by your kindness and skill.”

“Mrs. Cecil Forrester,” he repeated thoughtfully. “I believe that I was of some slight service to her. The case, however, as I remember it, was a very simple one.”

“She did not think so. But at least you cannot say the same of mine. I can hardly imagine anything more strange, more utterly inexplicable, than the situation in which I find myself.”

Holmes rubbed his hands, and his eyes glistened. He leaned forward in his chair with an expression of extraordinary concentration upon his clear-cut, hawklike features.

“State your case,” said he in brisk business tones.

===============================
Why doesn't the writer use A BRISK BUSINESS TONE? What's the difference between A TONE and TONES? Dictionaries give no information, and in one single sentence 'state your case', it's hard to see why there should be so many tones.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,329 • Replies: 11
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 09:22 am
@WBYeats,
WB, really a good q
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 01:59 pm
@WBYeats,
Quote:
Why doesn't the writer use A BRISK BUSINESS TONE? What's the difference between A TONE and TONES? Dictionaries give no information, and in one single sentence 'state your case', it's hard to see why there should be so many tones.

There are so many important details to focus on as a learner of a new language, WB. This isn't one of them.

The writer could have used A BRISK BUSINESS TONE and the writer, can use, as he/she did "brisk business tones".

Quote:
“State your case,” said he in brisk business tones.

The writer could also have said, "he said" instead of "said he". We have choices.

said he in [what many would call] brisk business tones.
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 07:24 pm
Thank you, JTT and Dale~
dalehileman

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 10:44 am
@WBYeats,
You're welcome WB, don't you wish there were more of us
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 03:53 am
According to JTT, AN XYZ TONE and XYZ TONES are the same in meaning; I usually say 'solid fuel', but 'nuclear fuels'; can I on that analogy say FUEL and FUELS are interchangeble in meaning?
dalehileman

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 10:11 am
@WBYeats,
I'd guess WB it depends on the context
WBYeats

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 11:28 pm
@dalehileman,
Thank you, Dale.

Then what would be the difference?
dalehileman

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2013 11:35 am
@WBYeats,
My guess WB, while I yield to superior dialectic, is, I'd be more likely to use "fuel" under more specific circumstances and "fuels" under more general

Yes, no, WB, I'm, not much help this morn
JTT

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2013 12:00 pm
@WBYeats,
Quote:
According to JTT, AN XYZ TONE and XYZ TONES are the same in meaning;

They are equal in meaning when they are equal, WB, and they are not equal when they are not equal.

Quote:
I usually say 'solid fuel', but 'nuclear fuels'; can I on that analogy say FUEL and FUELS are interchangeble in meaning?

Yes, you can say that when they are but you can't say that when they aren't.

Now if I sounded a bit snotty or a lot snotty above, rest assured that I wasn't trying to be.

As I have said many times, CONTEXT is SO important. And this context can be VERY SMALL NUANCES.

Read those last few sentences as they are vitally important. I know that you want to hear some big general rule/guideline that will help you but I'll say with some measure of assurance that there isn't one in these cases you've brought up.

I'm not trying to stop you, or even discourage you from asking more questions. But instead of asking a big GENERAL question, why not try developing some examples where you use 'nuclear fuels' or 'nuclear fuel'.

That may well give us a much better opportunity to help you.

I have a good example of what I've been talking about above, from the CGEL but I don't want to type it out now. Remind me to do so if I forget.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2013 12:05 pm
@dalehileman,
So you can see, WB, why reluctant to be of more help
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 10:43 pm
@JTT,
Thank you, JTT and Dale.

But context can't help here. If situations are given and you tell me which should be used, then next time I still come across problems. I develop this distinction, does it sound good?:

FUEL as a general idea, no a/an/the nor in the plural; A FUEL or FUELS referring to a type of fuel or types thereof.
0 Replies